Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #61
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Re: Pocher F40 WIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
It's not happens so often.... a newbee and he's a master.

I'm impressed by the brass frame. I'm honest, I'm busy and I didn't read any word in the thread, just some of your writing and images. May you explain how you cut so well the brass plate? I'm used to work with etched metal but I have serious troubles to cut metal plates.

I'm tuned, this is one of those cool thread where you can't wait for next updates! Bravo!
Thank you for the kind words, sir. I use a couple of different tools to cut the brass plate, depending on how thick it is. If it's really thick, I'll first cut it on the band saw, then smooth/shape to desired size with the dremel, files, sandpaper. If it's thinner, I use the dremel with a fiberglass cut-off wheel, then shape as before. Also for thinner material with straight edges, I'll use a pair of sheet-metal shears. Here is a photo of what I use...sorry the photo is kind of dark and thrown together...

This is just a quick assortment of stuff. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know...
As always, thanks for looking!!!

BM1
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #62
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1
This is just a quick assortment of stuff. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know...
BM1
Sure! What's about those Stuka!!!!????
Do you know we have also a (almost die) aircraft modeling subforum here on AF? Just exclusive club

Thanks for the answer. Looks me that there's not a "easy" way to cut brass sheets. May be I try to find a smaller thread for the band saw.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #63
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
May you explain how you cut so well the brass plate?
Hi G'man,

hope you don't mind me cutting across your thread BM1 but I've just been introduced to jewellers piercing saws at college.

http://tinyurl.com/8weqpv

These things are amazing and with practice you can cut very straight edges in 12mm steel with a blade no thicker than a hair! Best tool I've ever bought at 6! Go for the adjustable frame version and then you can use old broken blades too.

PS. the build is looking utterly fabulous BM1. That model looks a lot larger than 1/8th...have you got very small hands?!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #64
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster
Hi G'man,

hope you don't mind me cutting across your thread BM1 but I've just been introduced to jewellers piercing saws at college.

http://tinyurl.com/8weqpv

These things are amazing and with practice you can cut very straight edges in 12mm steel with a blade no thicker than a hair! Best tool I've ever bought at 6! Go for the adjustable frame version and then you can use old broken blades too.

PS. the build is looking utterly fabulous BM1. That model looks a lot larger than 1/8th...have you got very small hands?!
Hey cingster, no problem "cutting" in... hopefully the link helps out... I have a couple of those little gems, but couldn't put my hands on them for that quickie picture. They are awesome for delicate work, never really tried them for heavier stuff, though. 12mm thick, huh? I'll have to give it a try.
The kit is 1/8th and no, I actually have rather large hands... as my name says, I'm a foreign auto mechanic by trade, so that helps with my dexterity. My hands do get in the way, though. Thanks for the compliment, cingster...

PS where is your Porsche project? A 993 GT2 based on the Pocher kit is next on my bench... can't wait to dig into that one!

BM1
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #65
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Sure! What's about those Stuka!!!!????
Do you know we have also a (almost die) aircraft modeling subforum here on AF? Just exclusive club

Thanks for the answer. Looks me that there's not a "easy" way to cut brass sheets. May be I try to find a smaller thread for the band saw.
I always have a few kits going at the same time. That Stuka is a diversion... about half finished. I am building that and a Spitfire to hang from the ceiling in my office at my shop. They are the old mpc 1/24th scale kits... nice and big! I did see the aircraft forums... not as passionate about aircraft, though.
I have found the big metal shears to be the best way to cut sheet, so long as it's not too thick. The cutting blades are about 40 to 50mm long, so the cuts are nice and straight. Can't do much detail cutting with them, though.

BM1
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #66
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Alright, 4 more new pics of tonight's progress so far... I finished closing in the footwell on both sides, which leaves just the steering rack and swaybar mounts left to complete for the major stuff remaining up front. Now I'll have to move to the rear-end soon... It's nice when you use a piece for one side as a template for the other side and they actually fit as mirror images. That happened tonight when I was closing in the footwell. Makes you feel like your work is worthwhile... Here's the pics... Enjoy!

That's all for now, thanks for looking!!!

BM1
Old 01-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #67
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1
PS where is your Porsche project?

BM1
LOL...I know I know! Had a few setbacks recently as college is really busy and I totalled my beloved Elise on an icy road a few weeks back. Got to sort some transport out pronto!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #68
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster
LOL...I know I know! Had a few setbacks recently as college is really busy and I totalled my beloved Elise on an icy road a few weeks back. Got to sort some transport out pronto!
Oh no! College is a big deal, though and having a way around is equally important! I just hadn't seen anything new, so I thought I'd inquire. Sorry to hear about the Elise... what a shame. Good luck on finding a suitable replacement, we'll keep watching for updates!!!

BM1
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #69
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Not much progress tonight, but I did get the front shock mounts and steering rack mounts done and got the holes opened up in the rear main frame cross tube. These holes allow the shift linkage, engine computer harnesses and the coolant lines to pass through this big frame tube. I should have done this alot earlier... it would have been way easier!!!

Anyway, enjoy the pics and thanks for looking!!!

Front shock mounts...

Steering rack mounts...

Coolant tube and other holes opened...

Thanks again!!!

BM1
Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #70
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Not much to report... I did get 1 seat mount done and soldered in... only 3 more to go...

Thanks for looking!!!

BM1
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #71
bmwmech1
AF Regular

New update for tonight... finished the 3 other seat mounts. Now, just a few more little things up front, like the shifter bracket and the swaybar mounts, and it's on to the rear!!! Enjoy and thanks for looking...

BM1
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #72
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

That is truly stunning work.
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #73
kanedge
AF Regular

Amazing brass work!
kanedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #74
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Thanks, guys... it will just keep getting better as I move along, so stay tuned!!!

BM1
Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #75
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Sorry, everyone... I've been sick, again... 2nd time this month, ughhh. I don't know if I ever really got over it the first time. So, I have not made much progress, but I did move ahead a little. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. Until next time, thanks for looking...

BM1

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD