Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
basketballbest25
AF Newbie

Tour/Sport Light Blinking

Ok, so after getting some electrical work done(long story) on my 94 SL the Tour Sport modes both blink at the same time. It is weird because when I start the car it will just illuminate the "Tour" light, like normal. But then after driving or getting to a higher speed or after a few minutes it will blink "Tour Sport". Now does anyone have any idea why? I am assuming it might be a fuse or something, but the way that it read correctly at the beginning confused me. So any help would be appreciated.
basketballbest25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tour/Sport Light Blinking

tough one man...check all your connections to the ECS computer and the connections on top of the strut towers themselves...other than that, i cant think of anything else right now. good luck man

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--

Last edited by AutostradaVR4; 02-28-2006 at 01:40 PM.
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
basketballbest25
AF Newbie

alright thanks man... ill check it out as soon as i can, you said its on top of the struts, ... is it like a little black box?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
basketballbest25
AF Newbie

oh yeah one more thing, i told you guys how it had electircal work done. Well, its a long story but basically i had to remove my battery to bleed my clutch, and when replacing i had a neg wire in the positve wire group, so i reversed polarities or whatever. Anyways, do you think it could be a resetting issue? Like a radio or other electrical things that get messed up with the battery.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

check all your fuses...if you reversed the cables, you probably blew a fuse or fuses. You could have also cooked your ECS computer, which is mounted in the rear passenger fender area, accessible through one of the panels in the hatch area.

there are wireing harnesses on top of each strut under the plastic covers...check those over.

Last edited by AutostradaVR4; 02-28-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballbest25
oh yeah one more thing, i told you guys how it had electircal work done. Well, its a long story but basically i had to remove my battery to bleed my clutch, and when replacing i had a neg wire in the positve wire group, so i reversed polarities or whatever. Anyways, do you think it could be a resetting issue? Like a radio or other electrical things that get messed up with the battery.

basketball, what did the mechanic say about your car when you brought it in? What was worked on/fixed?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
basketballbest25
AF Newbie

the mechanic said that all it needed was a few wires going to teh fuse box. Later he found i also somehow blew the throttle cable. So thats all that was replaced.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

Okay, not bad not bad.... Question for you guys though....how does mechanics diagnose those stuff? Is it just by experience or do they have like special scanners that can locate problems like that?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I would assume they do it all by trial and error checking connections and wires with nod light or voltometer. The service manual has pretty detailed instructions on how to check most if not all of hte factory wiring harnesses, ECU, MFI, etc.

Also just to correct Blink, it isn't your active aero, it's your ECS computer (no big deal, but whatever)
Seen here:

http://www.3sxperformance.com/faq/ecsmodule/index.asp

Chances are, if all fuses are good, and the wiring on the top of the struts are good. You may have shorted out this computer and need to replace it.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

^my mistake ...usually proof read before posting. was thinking ECS, typed AA...i will edit and fix

Old 02-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

figured it was just an oversight.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
pr0ject01
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to pr0ject01

I have this same problem, granted mine isnt fixed, but I know how to fix it. If you ever looked in your dash, the connector piece that is used for your tour/sport is really bad. Old, corroted, rusty, etc.. but if you clean it out and like sand it and make it look good, then you will get some usage out of it. I cleaned mine and it lasted like 3 weeks to a month. Or you could get a new cable, which i've been a little lazy and just removed it all together.

If you want to just get rid of the Tour/Sport completely, if you go to your trunk and lift up the floor down to the spair tire.. on your right hand side behind the plastic piece you should see a little box. I believe you have to take the right plastic piece out to get to it, but im not sure..
But anyway, in that box is the connector for the Tour/Sport mode. If you unhook that, it disables it completely.

1991 Dodge Stealth R/t
pr0ject01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

Mine sometimes blinks when the my car gets wet after a rain or through a car wash. If anyone has an answer to why it does that I'd be happy to here it.

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
compaqpunch
AF Regular

Ya mine used to do that too but it just kinda went away... It hasnt done that for a good 6 mounths. I think it only happened a few times tho..
compaqpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
hollydolly
AF Newbie

I just bought my 1995 3000gt sl and on my dash the word "sport" is blinking non stop. I have never seen the word "tour mode" I push the ecs button and nothing changes . I didn't have a manual with my car so I know nothing about the ecs button .I don't think its in sport mode because I got incrediable gas mileage on the 290 mile trip home with the car.but I need to know what to do where to look how to tell.etc.what is the mode actually mean? Its a 5 speed manual
hollydolly is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth