Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

Yamaha YZR M1 Fiat Yamaha Team 2009 (Rossi)

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've last made a motogp model.

I've been waiting for this Yamaha YZR M1 Fiat Yamaha Team 2009 kit for almost 3 weeks. I thought I could get it before I went to Sepang last week.

When the kit arrives, I was wondering whose number shall I make first but anyway, I've decided to make Rossi's version before I make Lorenzo's version in future. Where can I get Pit Walk Photo books for both 2008 & 2009? Seems that HLJ doesn't have the books for those 2 years & I have the feeling that it's under new publisher.

If I have the time & money, I would love to add more realism on the bike but anyway, I'll be doing the out of the box version with not much realism on the model.

This is the box.

This is the engine. It's been a while since I've made 2005 M1 bikes & I'm not sure if Tamiya does like the way they did on 2006 RC211vs that is '03 engine with a '06 clutch & cover. But anyway, here are the photos of the engine.

This are the photos of the frame.

That's where I've decided to make Rossi's bike with this.

I'll continue working on it & I'll post more pictures later.

Adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Froride1
Unique Case

Re: Yamaha YZR M1 Fiat Yamaha Team 2009 (Rossi)

Good start on the kit. I'm slowly working on mine. I just ordered paint from Hiroboy for it. The kit looks really nice, Tamiya added detail compared to the 04' and 05' kit. Once finished it will have more detail out of the box than the older kits do.

I don't think there is a Pit Walk Photo book for 2008 or 2009. I have not seen one offered anywhere. The insert in the kit has some good pictures of the bike but nothing like the Pit Walk book do. I hope new Pit Walk photo books are released soon.
Froride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
ace91
AF Regular

Hi,

Froride1 : I, too hope that the Pit Walk photo books are released too.

I've done some work on the tail & the radiator.

This is the tail after I spray TS-26 & TS-65. After that I have to paint the black part near the end there at the bottom of the tail where the tail is going to be attached to the frame. So I've masked the area & paint the part with X-1 as it's stated in the instruction manual.

After painting, somehow, I think I didn't mask properly, so, that's the result of the tail.

But luckily Tamiya has some c/f decals to put at the bottom part of the tail. After putting up the cf decal, did a little paint on it & put the decal. This is the result.

Tamiya's M1 2009 front fork set includes p/e parts for the radiator & the tail. Here are the photos of the radiator & the tail with the p/e parts attached.

That'll be it for the time being. Time to take a rest after 1-2 hours of working on that bike.

Adrian
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
ace91
AF Regular

Hi, it's been a while since I worked on this model. Didn't have the time until today when I completed the bike.

Here are the pics of the naked bike.

As for the completed bike, my work on the masking is a little messy, so you'll notice some leak on the fairings. I still have lot to learn on this kind of things. Anyway, here are the photos of the completed model.

Adrian
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace91 View Post
Hi, it's been a while since I worked on this model. Didn't have the time until today when I completed the bike.

Here are the pics of the naked bike.

As for the completed bike, my work on the masking is a little messy, so you'll notice some leak on the fairings. I still have lot to learn on this kind of things. Anyway, here are the photos of the completed model.

Adrian
Adrian - I have a suggestion for you regarding the masking for clean "no bleed" lines - I don't know if you have 3M Blue Fine Line automotive tape where you live, but I am sure if you check the automotive paint suppliers where you live they will have an equal product. The tape comes in 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch - it is a plastic tape that can be shaped "stretched" to make clean curves or straight lines. I find that using this tape for the color separation line and regular Tamiya masking tape for the rest of the masking produces very nice clean lines with no color bleeding through. Another suggestion is painting the color separation line with "Microscale" "Mask" and using a sharp xacto blade to cut a clean line. Give that a try - Hope this was helpful - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Katana1000
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha YZR M1 Fiat Yamaha Team 2009 (Rossi)

Looks really good. I received mine today, also want to do Lorenzo's Bike and also one with Rossi cornering, looks like I'll have three of these kits once the Tamiya Rossi figure is out !!!

I also heard Tamiya will be doing Colin Edwards Tech 3 YZR 09 M1.

Studying the kit, it looks like another 1/12 masterpiece from Tamiya, they are offering two suspension ride heights, one for static and one for cornering, noticed a spare rear sprocket without plastic chain, this will be for the inevitable aftermarket chain kits i guess.
Katana1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana1000 View Post
Looks really good. I received mine today, also want to do Lorenzo's Bike and also one with Rossi cornering, looks like I'll have three of these kits once the Tamiya Rossi figure is out !!!

I also heard Tamiya will be doing Colin Edwards Tech 3 YZR 09 M1.

Studying the kit, it looks like another 1/12 masterpiece from Tamiya, they are offering two suspension ride heights, one for static and one for cornering, noticed a spare rear sprocket without plastic chain, this will be for the inevitable aftermarket chain kits i guess.
Katana1000 - you are correct - the Tech3 yamaha M-1 is due out in mid December 2010 and will have decals for Colin Edwards and James Toseland - there are also decals available from Studio27 for Ben Spies 2009. John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Katana1000
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha YZR M1 Fiat Yamaha Team 2009 (Rossi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Katana1000 - you are correct - the Tech3 yamaha M-1 is due out in mid December 2010 and will have decals for Colin Edwards and James Toseland - there are also decals available from Studio27 for Ben Spies 2009. John
Thanks John, that's another few kits to my want list

EDIT: Tamiya have released details of the 09 Rossi rider figure, looks like a great kit in itself ... Hope we get it in the UK soon, its been a while since Tamiya did a rider figure, the new one certainly captures Rossi's cornering style.
Katana1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
ace91
AF Regular

Thanks guys, for the comment.

John - I'll try the masking tape you recommend for the next kit.

Katana1000 - I see that Tamiya is also coming up with Estoril version in February. I'm looking forward for this kit.

I also would like to order the Honda RSW 250 Ascot Team made by Hasegawa. I've always wanted to build a 250cc bike but it'll be nice if I can make Lorenzo's RS250.

Adrian