Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

fortuna honda rc211v '02

hi guys,

i've just started a bit of work on the fortuna by trying to work on the fuel tank cover but when i thought about it & talk with others, i think i might have to skip the part even though i've made a very small cut. so i've placed the putty on it to cover the small cut on the fuel tank cover.

i know it takes a lot of effort & it's a big risk to do such a thing as i know once i screw up it's all over. i didn't know that shaving the fuel tank would be real complicated. so, i guess the finish bike would be a little out of realism in fuel tank cover size & the footpegs.

anyway, i'll be waiting for the cf & kevlar to arrive probably 2 weeks time or when i come back from overseas trip in near mid jan next year. so, i'll be working on the engine, the frame & the swing arm without the rear fender.

adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: fortuna honda rc211v '02

I think I have a shorter tank in resin that I could mail you if you are interested.
/Joel
Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
ace91
AF Regular

wow, i would like to. do you mean both fuel tank & the cover?

i'll give you my home address later but i wouldn't be around early january. i'll be back on the 8th of january.

adrian
Old 01-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

i know that it's been a while since i last posted the thread. so far i'm halfway through the engine.

while i'm waiting for the cf decal to arrive, i'm working on the front fender, the seat, the tail & the bottom fairing.

as far as i know, these parts involves 2 colours on one part. so far i've only done the front fender & halfway on the seat.

for the front fender, i first used the flourescent red as the main colour. what i did was i used a film cell to trace the lining on the decal, cut it out & place the film cell sticker on the fender along with the masking tape. then i used ts-17 to spray. somehow, even after i placed it outside to dry for at least more than one and a half hour, the paint wasn't fully dried. i only discovered it when i placed the decal on the front fender & spotted my finger print & ripped paint from my finger. can't believe after my hard work on the lining & it's all ruined. things would be hard for me to do it again as i already put micro sol on the decal, so it's quite hard to remove the decal. if only my family digi cam is working properly but seems that something inside is damaged, i can't show how bad looking it is. i believe i can recover the ruined fender made but seems that this time doesn't seem to be a good time to do some spray paint as i've prepared some recovery plans.

well, while i'm waiting for the fine weather to come, i'll be working on the decal outline on the seat, the tail & the bottom fender. oh yeah, i'm gonna do the brno version. i may want to do the estoril version in the future.

adrian
Old 01-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace91
hi guys,

somehow, even after i placed it outside to dry for at least more than one and a half hour, the paint wasn't fully dried. i only discovered it when i placed the decal on the front fender & spotted my finger print & ripped paint from my finger
adrian
Adrian,
uhm, 1.5 hours is no where near enough time for the TS paint line to fully cure. Try about 1 week for it to be touch-cured and 1 month before it will be fully cured and you can apply a clear coat over it.

hth,
Bill
Old 01-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I don't agree, one month until clear coat is far longer than I ever waited for to do that. But I agree on the fact that you can't apply the decals after mearly 1,5 hours. I would have waited atleast 4 days to a week.
/Joel

PS the tank cove is on its way! At last... DS
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Biting_Point
AF Regular

The following pic is Fortuna Decals on the white metal tank and rear cowl conversion..

Did a lot a lot of sanding, puttying.. First time working with white metal.. almost wanted to give up..
RC211V Pramac 2003 - 65%
RC211V Telefonica 2003- 25%
RC211V Valencia 2003 - 25%
RC211V Repsol 2003 - 10%
Biting_Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

i know that it's been a while since i last write this thread. since my family digi cam has been damaged & so far the technician from the capital haven't done anything on the cam after one week, it would be . so, when the cam is ready, i guess i'll only show the finish photo. of all the time for the cam to be damaged & chinese new year is not far away.

so far i'm working on the paintings & masking on the fairings.

adrian
Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #9
ace91
AF Regular

well the only one left is the decal placement. when everything's done up from beginning till the end, things started to be in tatters.

firstly, the honda stripes decal sheet got stuck with the chrome silver decals and the stripe from one side is a little bit ripped. at the brighter side of it, it's not that bad as the ripped part is near the fuel tank cap & i managed to cover it up.

then, when i tried to fit in the fuel tank cover, the fuel tank cap sprung somewhere from the bike & i can't find it.

just can't believe when i nearly finish it nicely, the last part was a little bit ruined.

my family digi cam has finally repaired & i will show the finish photo in 2 weeks.

adrian
Old 02-23-2007, 04:07 AM   #10
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

finally the digi cam is repaired & i managed to shoot the pics of my completed models. here are the photos of the fortuna honda brno version.

of all the hard work i've made to finish this, only the fuel tank cap is gone to i don't know where. the parts i used is s27 while the fuel tank cover is given to me by joel. thanks again, joel for the fuel tank cover. the sticker part is very good & very precise. as far as i know, the s27 is one of the best decal set i've ever used. for the colour, i used fluorescent red while the grey part is really heavy & that's the first can of ts-17 i've used up to cover up the red part after the first paint.

adrian
Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 AM   #11
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Sure thing Adrian! The bike looks great. I love the red/silver layout and the decals are as you say some of the better I everhad to deal with. Seams as you had some problem with the paint job? I don't know if I got you correctly but the next time you do this scheme, try spraying TS-17 as base and then mask and spray the flourescent red. I can see how it was hard to cover the red with the silver and if you use silver base the red stands out a lot more.
/Joel
Old 02-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
ace91
AF Regular

hi joel,

i did have problem on the paint esp the tail. if i can take a photo of the tail on the top view, you can see the colour is a bit off positioned.

maybe next time when i'm thinking of building the estoril version, i'll try the opposite that is use the ts-17 first then the flouroscent red.

adrian
Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I'm sure you will have better luck then. Try this tip also. Paint the silver put the decals that seperate the silver and red areas on. Clear coat, mask after the decal edge and then spray the red.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
Motorcycleman
AF Newbie

Looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!good job.

Jordan
Motorcycleman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes