Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
$400chevymetro
AF Newbie

Can't beat Ebay just bought

The 3 volume service manuals for 1998 metro for $10.50 + shipping. Still a few more for sale just not this cheap.

Good bye generic Haynes manual forever. Just enough info to leave you swinging. Hey I've got a very good Haynes Metro service manual for sale. Damn I spent more on it than I did the real deal.

"Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?" --Pres. George W. Bush, Jan. 11, 2000 ...

Last edited by $400chevymetro; 12-15-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added some more info
$400chevymetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Can't beat Ebay just bought

That's pretty awesome, good find and thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody know how Alldata compares to the FSM?

-MechanicMatt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
$400chevymetro
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Caprice9c1
That's pretty awesome, good find and thanks for the heads up.

-MechanicMatt
If I'm not mistaken the problem with Alldata is you pay for the info on just one car and by year. I could be wrong but I thought that's the way it was. It also has a yearly fee.

Matt, Ebay has a wide variety of service manuals luckily I found the 98 for my car.

Hey Matt I do want to thank you for your many replies on this forum. I haven't posted a lot but have done many searches and have always found your advice to be very helpful.

"Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?" --Pres. George W. Bush, Jan. 11, 2000 ...
$400chevymetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
GM Line Rat
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Caprice9c1

-MechanicMatt
Matt, Alldata is Pretty decent, it's much better than the Haynes or Chiltons manuals at the local auto store, but not as complete as a set of factory Helms manuals for your particular vehicle line. If falls somewhere in middle IMO. I have a Alldata account for the 94 Geo I own.......A Complete set of Helms manuals for the 94-96 GM B-Body Line (Caprice - Impala SS - Roadmaster etc..)
GM Line Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

400: I appreciate your kindness. I believe that teaching and learning are the two most important personal functions, so that places all of us Metroites (reader, writer or otherwise) in a proper state: Onward! Also see my response to GM below.

GM: I have several one year subscriptions for various cars: 98 3cyl 5spd, 97 4cyl auto, one for my 96 caprice lt1 =), and a few others.

I have found it very useful, with good accuracy and the information is readily available. But I do get a feeling that there could still be quite a bit left on the table - such gaps must be filled in by the FSM's.

I wonder how the Professional Alldata compares to our DIY stuff.. but at $180ish/month for subscriptions, it'll be the ownership of my own shop before I ever fork out that kind of money.

Hey, GM, since I've got you in the same post (haven't seen ya for a while!!) what is your take on DexCool, being a GM employee? In another post I gave it a thorough bashing (here) because of its less than stellar reputation with me, and with a great many others. Do you share the widely held opinion that dexcool is bad stuff, or is there something else you suspect is going on here?

-MechanicMatt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
GM Line Rat
AF Regular

Hey Matt, Been busy building a new (2nd) Garage at the house so free time on the forums is limited until I'm done. My take on Dex-cool is.......I dont use it in any of my vehicles! The problem that GM Had with the Dex-Cool (Long Life AF) nightmare years ago was from 1 perticular supplier, Which GM quit using when disaster was found to screw up gasket material. GM Still uses Dex-Cool, but the problems in the past have been addressed in newer model year cars/Trucks.... But I own nothing but used vehicles so my take is: If it has Dex-Cool in the system when I Buy/Fix a car, It's drained ASAP, Then the Complete cooling system is flushed thoroughly (Several Times) and refilled with the Green Stuff (I use Prestone). Not only to get rid of the Older Dex-Cool, But to flush out any of the "Brown" Sealer tablets that GM Used to put into cooling systems to ensure they were sealed well.......And eventually clogged up the heater core and some radiators as well as a result of it!.........
GM Line Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro