Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #166
mic329
AF Regular

Re: FXX...long WIP

You are gonna to CF the entire FXX, looking great!!!
mic329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #167
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

It's simply amazing!!
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #168
DVST8R
AF Regular

Thats amazing
DVST8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #169
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Looking excellent Paul. You've really got the hang of applying the CF and making the templates! I quick question regfarding the seatbelts, aren't the crotch belts supposed to come through the seat cushion, directly under where the driver's crotch would be as opposed to wrapping up from underneath the front of the seat?

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #170
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Outstanding build that just keeps getting better.

Good question on the harness, Bill - even if it is correct, I still get tears in my eyes just looking at it

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder

Last edited by klutz_100; 02-22-2007 at 11:08 AM.
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #171
CeeElle
AF Regular

insane.
CeeElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 AM   #172
Jamme
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Jamme

Hello,
The more I see your WIP, the more i want to continue working on my Ejan Transkit.......
The seats are really very nice.
CF also.

Jamme
Old 02-22-2007, 04:27 AM   #173
blazed_racer
AF Newbie

your CF work gets better with each part you do!!!!

cait wait for more updates...
blazed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #174
slk320
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to slk320

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvia
Looking excellent Paul. You've really got the hang of applying the CF and making the templates! I quick question regfarding the seatbelts, aren't the crotch belts supposed to come through the seat cushion, directly under where the driver's crotch would be as opposed to wrapping up from underneath the front of the seat?

Keep up the good work!

Yep, you got a sharp eye. I messed up - I am already working on redoing the 5th loop. It was late at night and I forgot about the weird configuration of the FXX belts... so I put them the wrong way.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments - The CF is a major b*tch. Between working with complex curviature, multiple pieces and uncooperable solvaset, it has become the curse of this model. But it is coming together, albeit slowly, well.

I have to still order another mode for the undamaged monocoque.
slk320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #175
agamo
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to agamo Send a message via MSN to agamo Send a message via Skype™ to agamo

Good job on the front and rear end, I did the Porsche GT1 testing prototype, also entirely covered by CF decal, so I know how hard it can be!
Have you tried using a hair dryer to heat the decal a little? It helps a lot.

And at the end, which seat belts did you use? Needless to say that they look great, just correcting the antisub and they’ll be perfect!

Cheers!
agamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #176
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk320
Thanks everyone for the nice comments - The CF is a major b*tch. Between working with complex curviature, multiple pieces and uncooperable solvaset, it has become the curse of this model. But it is coming together, albeit slowly, well.

I have to still order another mode for the undamaged monocoque.
If it was easy Paul, everyone would be doing it...;-)>

The trick with the SMS decals is that it was engineered to work best with 3 things.

1. MicroSet (a cleaning agent)
2. MicroSol (a decal solvent)
3. Heat from a low wattage hair dryer.

Solvaset is a great product, but Matthew Wells (owner of SMS) worked directly with MicroScale when he created the decals and they work best with their products.

hth and if you come across any problems, just ask (as you know I'm also building the same model!)...I don't have all the answers, but I may have come across the solution!

Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #177
slk320
AF Premium User

Thanks Bill!

I will have to go out and by MicroSet/MicroSol. BTW - your FXX (at least the seat) looks fantastic...

Agamo - thanks mate! I used a craft ribbon for the seatbelt material. Turned out ok. I used the PE set from Tamiya and harness decals from CM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #178
slk320
AF Premium User

Small update:

I have completed the rear end, including the winglets and the exhaust pipes (they are not attached yet...obviously) The winglets are adjustable, since I put a metal rod in them.

Here is the hood, freshly detached from the fenders, painted and starting to take shape

more soon
Old 02-23-2007, 01:11 AM   #179
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Paul,
I thought I would jump in and do a quick review of the Crazy Modeler PE set for the FXX which I just received. It has inspired me to start my kit!
The kit comes with 5 PE frets with an abundance of parts!
I'll try to make sense of them all

The first sheet consists of seat belt harness hardware (similar to the Tamiya offering but a bit finer), plenty of logo's, the front grill, the pedals, instrument gauge (which will look very nice painted and polished), vents, hose clamps, tops of the Ferrari caps, and some engine bay details (see the yellow highlights). This last part is a very nice addition and is continued in more detail on the fret with the brake discs.

The second fret has the box that the pedals fix to, the brake disc details, the front thermal fans and covers, windscreen wiper, gear change paddles, and a few other misco parts. The only suggestion here is the gear change paddles could have had the shift controls etched into them (see picture)

The third fret contains all the mesh screens for the car. This is a much more comprehensive set compared to the Tamiya offering and the fit of the parts is perfect from what I have checked so far. There are also radiator faces included - top left of picture

CRAZY MODELER SCREENS

TAMIYA SCREENS

The fourth sheet has all the fasteners, body ID tags, and the heat screens for the firewall and engine cover. These fit perfectly and are a very innovative approached compared to the usual metal foil. The only concern I have here is the windscreen cover which I thought was a decal on the real car. CM have made it as a metal part which may be hard to attach if used? They also include the cover for the fuel cap which has the logo etched into it. Unfortunately the logo is silver and the cap is black (see the earlier reference picture) so the way they have done it will make it hard to do. You will have to spray the part black then use a silver wash. If they had etched it in reverse you could have painted the part black then polished the logo?

Finally is the second brake set. You have all seen how good these look when they are assembled and I can't wait to put them together. A massive improvement over the kit parts (which are good as they are anyway)

Full and comprehensive instructions are also included

like I said earlier, this set has made me want to pick up the kit and start building it. Paul, I hope I haven't convinced you to spend more money by posting this review?
I have the ZERO decals and a bottle of Bianco Fuji ready to go!

Excellent product!

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 AM   #180
Toughbeard
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Toughbeard Send a message via MSN to Toughbeard

Robrex you said...

Unfortunately the logo is silver and the cap is black (see the earlier reference picture) so the way they have done it will make it hard to do. You will have to spray the part black then use a silver wash. If they had etched it in reverse you could have painted the part black then polished the logo?

Well as an idea.... you can prime then paint the part silver. and carefully dry brush the high part black...

SLK230...

that is an excellent build.

--------------
Destroyed Projects: 1/20 Tamiya BMW/Williams FW-24
Noob Projects:1/24 Tamiya GT3 + Tamiya 1/12 Honda NR
---------------
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street