Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
dfarres
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to dfarres
Unhappy I Have Issues.........Please Help

OK i just bought a new civic.... here's some history.
It's a 90 Hatchback and used to have an automatic with 190k.
The guy i bought it from put a DX engine with a 4 spd in it from his friends car with 85k on it. He replaced the timing belt, water pump and various other things during the swap. He also put in a new O2 sensor and replaced the ECU before smogging it.

Here are some questions i have:

1. Idle sounds high and when i tap on the gas pedal it drops for a split second and goes back to high...... i don't have a tac so i don't know how high. How can i fix it? It also seems to have a little power loss right when u step on it then it runs great.

2. how do i check to see if its a DX engine 4 sure and what ECU should be in it?

3. the intermittant wiper position doesn't work and if i turn them off they don't back to the starting position.

4. the backup lights don't work ..... where is the switch to turn them on while in reverse?

I'm pretty sure it was a DX before the work........ it has a rear wiper, power brakes, power steering and AC but it doesn't have the DX symbol but it could have been taken off cause the civic in the center is also gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

THANKS
dfarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:01 AM   #2
Tofuboy
AF Regular

It sounds to me that this engine is very old and not very well maintain.

The reason why your RPM drops when you tap the gas pedal is because the instant you open the throttle plate, the air enters the engine is faster than the fuel that your fuel injectors can provide. Due to that your engine is running a lean A/F mixture, so lean that it makes a noticeable difference and it might cause the engine to drop it's RPM or just die. It is the same reason why you feel power loss when you step on the pedal. This sudden change in A/F ratio also causes your ignition system's resistance goes up due to the lean mixture inside your cylinder. Once the fuel can "catch up" with the air that enters your engine everything goes back to normal.

You might need to adjust the Fuel Pressure Regulator to a proper level, clean your fuel system and fuel injectors and change your fuel filter.

If you want to check what engine it is, just open the hood and look at the engine number located on the engine block, some where on the left side of the header if you are standing in front of the bumper.

Check the back up light's light bulb and see if it's burnt.

I don't even want to get in to how to rebuild your wiper motor and stuff, it's probably costs less if you just replace the whole thing or find it off ebay or something.

The fastest driver is the one with skills

95 Civic EX
83 Toyota Starlet
07 Ducati Monster S4RS
Tofuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:07 AM   #3
Tofuboy
AF Regular

sorry if I didn't explain it well or detail enough, I guess I am not as good as a typer and explaining as Fritz, but I hope I can help out while Fritz is not here.

The fastest driver is the one with skills

95 Civic EX
83 Toyota Starlet
07 Ducati Monster S4RS
Tofuboy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical