Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

94 Metro Will not Start HELP!!

I have a 1994 Geo Metro 3cyl 1.0l. I have tried everything I know to get this thing to run. It started on my way home one day. The car just sputtered and died. When I tried to re-start it the car made a fast crank sound. Kinda like it sounds if it needs a new distributor or something. I replaced the ignition coil, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and nothing. I tested my ignition module inside the distributor and if I read right I believe it is in range. HELP
irishguy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
pind
AF Regular

Re: 94 Metro Will not Start HELP!!

how about the timing belt
pind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

I have the timing cover off but have never really dealt with those. it is on the gears and turns when I crank the engine. But the lower seal appears to be leaking coating the belt with oil.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #4
pind
AF Regular

Ok, timing belt is ok, something I thought of, and like a dumba$$ did not mention, is your fuel pump working?

try turning the key to the run position, and see if you hear the fuel pump work. there should be a hum, then a click as it comes up to pressure and the relay kicks the pump off.

also, the fuel filter can be a culprit, it should be down by the suspension control arm at the back of the car. check that as well. Sorry about going way deep on this.

For future reference, when checking the timing belt, take the distributor cap off, then turn the engine slowly by hand with a 3/8" drive ratchet and 17 mm socket. if the rotor turns, you should be ok, or in the ballpark.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

I do believe the fuel pump is working, i heard the hum-click. I'll take another crack at it in the morning and post my findings Thanks pind
Old 03-22-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

oh something that I forgot to mention, initially, I also has a code 42 flash(crank angle sensor or air gap error) when I put the fuse in the diagnostic slot on the fuse board. When I tested my module inside the distributor(without the vaccum advance), I got readings that varied from midrange to out of range, i thought it was my multimeter or how I was testing it. but being unsure, I went to a salvage yard to find another. I picked one up for 50 bucks and got the same type of reading. I installed it and when I tried to start the vehicle, i got the same fast crank. The only other time I heard that noise was when my brother's Aspire distributor went out. what now?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 PM   #7
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

oh and would the oil on the tiing belt make it slip or does the tension keep it from doing so?
I.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 PM   #8
pind
AF Regular

although the oil on the belt doesn't do it any good at all, unless the tensioner is hooped, I have yet to see one slip due to contamination. I have however seen the belt life drastically shortened.

When you crank it over, are you getting fuel through the injector? look into the throat of the throttle body while you crank it over, and see if there is fuel spraying on the butterfly.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

Just out of curiosity I pulled the timing cover completely off, and also pulled off the timeing belt. It is a wonder the thing spun at all it fell apart when I pulled it off. I got a new one but am still getting the engine 42 code. I imagine that the car will start when I install the new timing belt will that also eliminate the code once I get the correct timing set?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

The Camshaft stopped turning before I ended up checking the timing belt off. The crank was turning without the camshaft turning, will this affect the basic valve timing being that now the crank and cam are out of sink?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:35 PM   #11
pind
AF Regular

yes it will, you will have to re time the engine before installing the new timing belt. the easiest way to do this, is just get a service manual that explains the procedure. they have pics, something I lack here. I know from experience how to time them, but trying to put it across can be a bit of a hoo.

Anyway, yeah, the code 42 is definitely related to this problem. I cannot promise that it will go away upon re timing of the engine, but it will put us on a better track.

The code manual I have here says 42 can be crank angle sensor, cam position sensor circuit 94-95.

so yes, change the belt out, time it up correctly, and lets see what happens. If it still gives trouble, then I have a perfect picture of the problem. clear as mud even.

good luck
Old 03-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #12
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

sounds good, I have a Haynes manual that kinda shows what to do, both the haynes and the chilton assume that the crank and the cam are still in sync. i'll tear into it tomorrow and post my results after that. Thanks for all the help later, I.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

I have everything done except the timing belt. I have bought two different brands and neither one of them fit. I can get it on but getting it even is a no go. That and I have to take the tensioner off to even get the darn thing on there. I had it on and tried to start it and the thing flew off, then cam timing pulley broke as I was putting it back on the second time. Are these things supposed to be this tight??????
Old 04-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
irishguy1978
AF Newbie

got'er done! she fired off after I put a new coil and timing belft on!!!! All I have to do now is fine tune the timing and finish the bearing job I started and she'll be G.A.N. Thanks PIND.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro