Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
idmetro
AF Regular

92 Metro key broken off in ignition

Tip of key is broken off in ignition, can still use the rest of the key to turn ignition on and car runs but would really like to get piece of key out. What is the best way? Took car to local locksmith and he wasn't very enthused, poked at for a minute or two and proclaimed that the only way to get it out was to remove the ignition module from the key and bring it in. Is there another way? If not what is the best way to get the key module off the steering column? I looked at one in the wrecking yard and it appeared to be riveted in place.....
idmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: 92 Metro key broken off in ignition

they are not rivets, they are bolts with the heads broken off. you have to use a hammer and chisel to unscrew them, once you get them out you can cut a slot in them with a hacksaw and use a screwdriver to put them back in or buy new ones at the dealer
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

in all honestly, use the nub my metro I just picked up has the same problem. I tried for 2 hours to get the broken off part. I used a lock-pick rake, a magnet, a destist's pick, sewing needles, small screwdrivers... If you really want, the lock cylinder will come out of the column. A Hayne's manual will explain the procedure for this. But it'll run fine without taking it out.
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
tude123
AF Regular

I concur with using the broken key. I have two Metros with broken keys (yes, two!) and I tried to fix one of them. The amount of hours you will spend fixing this problem is not worth it. Good luck!
tude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
gearslammer
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to gearslammer

With the switch in the locked position take a exacto saw blade with the end cut off and slide it into the keyhole either on top of of beside the broken key and it should slide right out
gearslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
Tominator2000
AF Regular

If it's broken off in the same place mine is, that is where the indentations for the lock is, the broken off piece is an inch or more inside the ignition. I've never gotten the piece out. Bought a replacement, but the manual says the steering culumn needs to be put in a cive to change it.....ball joints come first.
Tominator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
HannabilRox
AF Newbie

I have a 91 Metro, same deal. I took out and bought a whole steering column from the salvage yard that had the ignition lock cylinder with an unbroken key. That is how I am going to fix mine. Only cost me $20, and takes about 1/2 hour to remove.
HannabilRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
shiza1
AF Newbie

I also have a broken off key on my 95 lsi 1.3 . The key broke off 2 yrs. after getting the car. So it's been like that for 10 yrs. They must be cheap keys. I hated it at first but came to love the idea in the winter time. I could start my car and take the key out and lock the door
without shutting off the car. I could go in the filling station and pay for gas without shutting off the car. So, look at it as an advantage. I did go to the local locksmith in the beginning and they were very nice. They told me if they could use a pick it would be $20. If they couldn't it would be around $80. They used a bunch of picks and it did not work. I know they tried the picks because I was watching them. Three different guys tried. It was really cold that day and they worked hard with the picks. I finally told them to not worry about it because it was too cold out. I told them that I would just pay the $80 but they couldn't do it that day because they were too booked up. I was also busy and told them I would come back some other day. After using the car like that for the next fews days in the winter I found it to be at an advantage . It won't hurt anything other then it's broke and you know it. Just don't tell everybody and you should be safe. If you do happen to go to a locksmith to get it out. They can make a key for you. I already asked. I was worried I would be stuck with two pieces of keys. But they can make one.
shiza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Ge0Sc0ut
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Ge0Sc0ut

OMG that key always gave me trouble to unlock my doors, it would get stuck and i'd always just rip it out trying to get it unstuck....I probably shouldn't be violent with the key anymore since now I know they break often.....Whoever made the key for the Geo....lets all kick his ass for giving us a crappy key for our awsome car
Ge0Sc0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #10
shiza1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 92 Metro key broken off in ignition

My door locks are wierd too. I spayed wd-40 in them. I can only use one side of my key to open the doors. Is this right? The other side goes in but won't turn the locks.
shiza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
Ge0Sc0ut
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Ge0Sc0ut

uhm i can turn it both ways...for instance when i stick the key into the hole it wont move ethier way. But if i wiggle it to the right...then turn it left to unlock. Ethier that or I spend 10 mins trying to open each of my two doors
Ge0Sc0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
monconserv
AF Newbie

I have a 89 Geo Metro that I have figured out how to repair the broken key problem. First I ordered a broken key extractor set off of eBay. I tried that and it didn't work, but I still needed them later when a new idea came to me after I prayed about it. I took the plastic cover off that surrounds the ignition, four screws on the under side. Then you will see 3 spring pins that are holding the key cylinder in. I used a needle nose to pull them out. The cylinder will come out. Take notice of a spring plate behind the cylinder that is loose. Next you will need a snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the back end. This will remove cylinder from case. I took a picture to help in reinstallation but was unable to upload to this post. There is a open spot on the side of cylinder that I could see the key. You need a piece of stiff metal rod about 1/32 dia 3-4in long. A large paper clip or I used a welding rod. I bent the end with a curve on it to push the key out as far as I could. Then I used the key extractors to get it out the rest of the way. The tumbler pins in the cylinder exert a lot of pressure on the key and make it hard to come out. I sprayed it with silicone to help extraction. Reassemble and there you go.It is nice to have a working key for resale value.
monconserv is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro