Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
jj498
AF Newbie

Engine Identification

My daughter recently bought an 87 Firebird that has been modified. The engine has been swapped to put in a 350 with headers, Eldebrock Performer RPM manifold, and an MSD iginition system. Unfortunately it is pretty much a hack job. I need to figure out how to identify the engine. She thinks the guy told her it was a 75 Chevy 350 but I'm having trouble finding numbers of the block to identify it. Can anybody please help?
jj498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Engine Identification

ON the rear of the block, above the bellhousing flange, there will be a 4-digit alpha-numeric symbol "cast in". It looks like a little "tab" attached with screws, but is integral with the casting. The fiorst letter is the mnth (A-January, etc.). The second and third digit will be the day of the month. The last digit is the last number of the year. Example: D045 would be April 4, 1965, 75 or 85. Logical deduction gets you the rest of the way. There were no 350s in '65. The dipstick goes in on the driver's side on '75s, and on the passenger's side on '85s. '95s might also be "in the mix", but they have a one-piece rear main seal, unlike any of the others.
Check those numbers and get back here.
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #3
jj498
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Engine Identification

Thanks for the help. The block code is 3970010 and the date is E 1 5. The head casting number is 333882. The dipstick is on the driver's side and writing this reply. I wish someone had warned me not to have daughters.
jj498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Engine Identification

That would make it a '75, as the '85 would have a passenger's side dipstick. The 882 heads are pretty common for the era. Not a good performance head.
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical