Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot
Girl Racers' Spot For the Female Racer....
  Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
83civichick
AF Newbie

help! how do you deal with a salesman?

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to buy a car by myself. I've always had a boyfriend, brother, or dad there before.
Anybody got any advice?
Old 04-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
skubydobdo
AF Regular

Re: help! how do you deal with a salesman?

Make sure you have some idea of what you're looking for ahead of time. The salesman will say "look at this, its nice, and it has this and that." If it doens't have what you need, tell him right off the bat. Don't be afraid to tell him "no, that's not what I want." If you find a car that you know is just right for you, don't get overly excited until you've signed the papers. If they know you're gonna buy it, they won't let the price go down. Tell them that a guy someone else is gonna give you a killer deal when you go out of town if you don't get it there. HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE prices are not set. Make sure if you agree on it that you try and get all the free and extra stuff you can. The longer you take to look at a car, the more he/she will be willing to throw in extra stuff. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
hotgrlzracin
AF Enthusiast

i suggest low-balling. it can't hurt! i'd offer them atleast $2000 less then what they are asking. if they don't want to budge on the price, walk away.
do not give what they are asking.
do not tell them how much you are willing to spend.
do not give a price range. (if they ask, say i'm not sure at this point)
do state what you want and only buy what you know you want.
bargin bargin bargin. if they don't want to budge on price, leave....check loan value of car w/ the bank b/c blue book really doesn't matter. if your paying cash, check blue book. go back the next day (if the price is less then what they are asking) and tell them your willing to make a deal.....if the car is missing floor mats or other small things, ask them to replace them etc.

good luck!

update us on how it goes.

when i purchased my car, i got them down $1000 and $250 below loan value. i pointed out things that needed replaced etc. (it needed a header, i had one sitting at home so i knew it wouldn't cost me anything to repair).
Old 04-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
The key to buying a car is knowing the price you're willing to pay for it before you enter negotiations. Be reasonable. Usually start a little below the invoice price and calculate from there.

Look up the invoice price - pay NO attention to the sticker price, its meaningless. Dealer holdback which is the 2-5% profit the dealer makes on the sale price of the car based on the invoice price. (which is how you see $1 over invoice sales - they're still turning several hundred in profit) Dealer incentives which manufacturers give to the dealerships to use as they see fit. In other words its an unpublished reduction to the invoice price. Buyer incentives which are the ones you'll see in the manufacturers adds. This is also a reduction to the invoice price though the salesman will try to tell you its a reduction to the MSRP (which 'technically' it is) but it should be an aside to the base price you negotiate from.

What I usually do is figure out what I'm willing to pay for the car, add in the sales tax and what the cost for the title and registration are. That is the price to get. Anything less is great, but not a dime more.

Do not let them try to add in 'documentation fees' or any of that bullshit. Negotiate you're 'out the door price' and let them write it up any way they like. The key is that the price to you stays fixed. They can monkey the numbers around to make it look however they want.

I've done this a half dozen times. As long as you're willing to walk away you'll eventually get the car you want at the price you want.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
83civichick
AF Newbie

thanks everyone! I had to walk away, found a TL, but they wouldn't budge on the price, so I walked.

I'm looking at G20s now, I need something that I won't be tempted to buy stuff for. my 83 is my big restoration project, I just need a nice, decent priced daily driver.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
hotice318ti
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to hotice318ti Send a message via Yahoo to hotice318ti

i love the new TL.. i think they're really nice.. i test drove one a couple of weeks ago.. if i have to buy a sedan right now, i would definitely go with TL.. i like the way it handles and IMO, the sport shift is much better and smoother than that of 5th gen preludes... i was talking to the salesman when i test drove it, and he said he'll give it to me with 29k out the door if i pay cash.. dunno if it's a good deal or not cuz i didn't do my research when i went there... after all, i had no intension of buying one.. hehe
Old 05-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
integrasedan
AF Enthusiast

Salesmem like to prey on the weak, people who are easily persuaded.

If you are really smart, they'll probably don't want to deal/sell you a car for a good price unless they are desperate.

Other wise, they won't budge on the price much. They rather sell it to a dumb person(the guy behind you looking at the same car) at a higher price and trick them into buying dealer options for even more profit.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
TheAznPersuazun
AF Newbie

i have a friend that usta be a car salesman. they are trained to read people so if you don't know or want to know about the engine and those kinds of things he'll try and sucker you in by telling you about leather, trim, etc. so go in and know your shit and don't seem to interested even if you are....
Old 06-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
darkprincess0330
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to darkprincess0330

Ask about everything. Do not let them try to sucker you into buying something you know nothing about. I have been to many dealerships to look at cars and all they talk about are the appearance aspects of the car. They do not talk about the maintanence nor the most important part whats under the hood. Just make sure you ask about everything and even if it seems like a stupid question to you, ask it anyway.

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot