Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
i3o2Matt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to i3o2Matt Send a message via Yahoo to i3o2Matt
Had a little run-in with a Talon

I was on my way to school about 10 minutes ago when I noticed a clean looking black talon...probably a 96 (i forget when they stopped making the talon....it looked like one of the last years it was available...but anyway)...it was lowered with probably 17" wheels, a decent exhaust for that car, and it was black.

I drive a 1989 Nissan Maxima 5-speed with Warpspeed Y-pipe, high-flow cat, 2 1/4" piping back to the DTM-style exhaust, factory ride height, stock wheels.

Anyway...The closer i get to school, the more I wonder if that's where he's going. We turn onto the street that leads back to the school, so i stay kinda close to his back bumper...next thing I know, I see some black smoke coming out of his exhaust and him accelerating away from me a little. I was doing about 45 mph in 3rd gear (kinda low RPMs), so I just step on the gas about 3/4 the way down, and match his pace...all the way up to about 70 mph before I hit the brakes because the stop to go into the parking lot is coming up. I'm pretty sure he was in 3rd the entire time, too.

I have one question...do you guys think this car was turbo'd?? sayin that black smoke was coming out of the exhaust the entire time he was on the gas? I'd have thought he'd have been a bit faster than me if he was turbo'd...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

I dont think he was turbo, the turbo Talon (TSI) would have disapeared from in front of you. those cars are super quick. did you see the badge? it might say ES, ESI or TSI. and the black smoke might be he has worn his valve stem seals out or maybe bad piston rings. it really has nothing to do with if its turbo or not.

06 GTO: SLP Longtubes, SLP Loudmouth II K&N intake,
Ported Intake Manifold,
Ported Throttle body, MAF screen delete.
Tunned by Jeremy Formato. 381whp, 376wtq.
07 Ion Redline: Bone stock w/ factory Competition package.

In response to a race my wife had while pregnant with our baby:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Prediction.... I bet we will hear about a guy down in Miami thats the King of street racing in about 18 years...Way to get him started....
Musashi3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
i3o2Matt
AF Enthusiast

Re: Had a little run-in with a Talon

I know the TSi's are quick...one of my friends has one. I was thinking about following this guy and asking him about it, but he went behind the school and my class was out front.

I was kind of hoping he wasn't turbo'd...but he didn't have any badges on the back besides Talon...either way, he wasn't as fast as I thought he would have been, and its not like I could hear his car, let alone his turbo (if he had one, which I'm doubting now...thinking about it) because my exhaust is loud as it is.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
1Fast_Tsi
AF Regular

he might have been turbo and just running stock but i dont think he was, he might have just had some mods and been running really rich, but you will never know unless you talk to him

Red 90 tsi AWD 5speed
Love KIllin those V8's!!!!!!
Check me out at www.cardomain.com/id/1fast_tsi
1Fast_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi3000GT
I dont think he was turbo, the turbo Talon (TSI) would have disapeared from in front of you. those cars are super quick. did you see the badge? it might say ES, ESI or TSI. and the black smoke might be he has worn his valve stem seals out or maybe bad piston rings. it really has nothing to do with if its turbo or not.

Agreed, probably not a tsi...however black smoke is unburnt fuel...ie running really rich...what you described would result in blue smoke. (come on musashi...your better than that )
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #6
i3o2Matt
AF Enthusiast

yea i kno he was burnin rich...i wasn't sure if it was bcuz of a turbo or not...i kno thats why most turbo cars blow out a lil black smoke...i dunno. you guys know more about turbo'd cars than i do, so if you guys think it was just him runnin a lil rich, then he was just runnin a lil rich...and i would have talked to him, 'cept he was goin to a different part of the school and i didn't have time to follow him
Old 12-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
PWRDbyUNCLEbens
AF Enthusiast

not that your car is slow or anything, but I got walked by 97tsi's car, and he only had a manual boost controller set @10psi. In my defense I was on my 17" rims which slow me down a lot he did pull hard whether from a roll or stop. I would expect with exhaust he would take your car pretty good.

1992 Sentra SE-R: Bluebird SR20DET @ 10psi, 3" exhaust, FMIC, Poly-Urethane Motor Mounts, Centerforce (slipping) Clutch, Tein SS coilovers, FSTB, RSTB, 205/50/15 Hankook RS2's
PWRDbyUNCLEbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
i3o2Matt
AF Enthusiast

i kno he would...i got a 89 Maxima with almost 200K on the engine...im only about as fast as the new V6 mustangs...and the brand new cavalier LS's...but still...almost 200K and still runnin the same as some brand new cars? u gotta admit tho...thats pretty good...
Old 12-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
CivRacer95
srs biznis

Send a message via AIM to CivRacer95

Yeah, I'll say that's pretty good considering how old your car is. I think Maxima's are over looked. My buddy Miguel has one and it's a pretty quick. Can smoke me anyday of the week. Nice cars too. Well, I guess I can say nice job keeping with the Talon. late...

CivRacer95 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing