Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Mattman44830
AF Newbie

Question 97 F150 4x4 Problem

Has anybody had this problem yet?????????
When I went to use my 4x4 it wound not engage the first time,Then I stopped and put the truck in neutral and tried to put it in low range and it went in, but now it is stuck in low range and the front wheels are not engaged.PLEASE HELP ME.
Mattman44830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Butcher52
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Butcher52 Send a message via Yahoo to Butcher52
Re: 97 F150 4x4 Problem

try locking the hubs back in and then backup quick just a little ways and then see if it will come out of low. then unlock your hubs. If that don't work then unlock the hubs and then try backing up and see if that works. If thay don't work then you have a problem. Good luck!
Butcher52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
breeze12
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to breeze12 Send a message via Yahoo to breeze12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman44830
Has anybody had this problem yet?????????
When I went to use my 4x4 it wound not engage the first time,Then I stopped and put the truck in neutral and tried to put it in low range and it went in, but now it is stuck in low range and the front wheels are not engaged.PLEASE HELP ME.
I have the exact same problem, can does anyone have any logical solution???
breeze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
yotermanic
AF Regular

On those trucks, you have to be in neutral, stopped, and with your foot on the brake to go into or out of 4X4 low. Some you even have to have your parking brake. Most the stuck in four by problems we see in the dealership could be solved with one tool...the owner's manual (yes, the book wrapped in plastic in the glove box).
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
breeze12
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotermanic
On those trucks, you have to be in neutral, stopped, and with your foot on the brake to go into or out of 4X4 low. Some you even have to have your parking brake. Most the stuck in four by problems we see in the dealership could be solved with one tool...the owner's manual (yes, the book wrapped in plastic in the glove box).
yotermanic,,
my reply specifically said logical!! solution. kindergarden answers arent helpful. I have been in the car buisness 15+ years. let me revise my reply, intelligent solution. thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
yotermanic
AF Regular

I'm sorry, I'm in a Ford Dealership and that's the most common problem I've found so far. I had no way of knowing you'd know what you're talking about. This may be obvious but a lot of people overlook it. Have you removed the shift motor and seen if it moves when switched? Or is it a manual transfer case? Also, if it's electronic four wheel drive, look to see if your GEM module piggybacks on the back of your interior fuse panel. Most my experience is with 250s and up but I know some of those 150s have a service message about water intrusion when the GEM piggybacks on the fuse panel. Apparently it is from the windshield and most customers don't notice the leak, they notice symptoms related to the GEM. If it's auto four wheel drive, a output shaft speed sensor that's out could cause it to believe one axle isn't moving and automatically lock into and keep it in four wheel low.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
breeze12
AF Newbie

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm in a Ford Dealership and that's the most common problem I've found so far. I had no way of knowing you'd know what you're talking about. This may be obvious but a lot of people overlook it. Have you removed the shift motor and seen if it moves when switched? Or is it a manual transfer case? Also, if it's electronic four wheel drive, look to see if your GEM module piggybacks on the back of your interior fuse panel. Most my experience is with 250s and up but I know some of those 150s have a service message about water intrusion when the GEM piggybacks on the fuse panel. Apparently it is from the windshield and most customers don't notice the leak, they notice symptoms related to the GEM. If it's auto four wheel drive, a output shaft speed sensor that's out could cause it to believe one axle isn't moving and automatically lock into and keep it in four wheel low.
thanks for the very intelligent reply.
this is the f 250 and just finished replacing the shift motor $250 , the motor does not activate when switching from 2wd to 4wd or 4low.
Have checked fuses vaccum and electrical connections right front firewall , kinda lost at this point, wonder if the 4wd switch on dash could be faulty. thanks again for your experienced answers..
Old 01-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #8
yotermanic
AF Regular

Re: Re: 97 F150 4x4 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze12
thanks for the very intelligent reply.
this is the f 250 and just finished replacing the shift motor $250 , the motor does not activate when switching from 2wd to 4wd or 4low.
Have checked fuses vaccum and electrical connections right front firewall , kinda lost at this point, wonder if the 4wd switch on dash could be faulty. thanks again for your experienced answers..

I would definately not rule out the swich because we've put a few in. I'm not sure of your year, so I can't give you wire colors, but check for voltage switching from wire to wire when you switch the switch with it plugged in. If voltage switches, it's probably either your transfer case shift relays (I had to look up where they are...I've never seen them go bad) they're near your battery junction box. It's also possibly a GEM module fault...black boxes can be such a pain in the rear. I expect it's probably a swich because you didn't mention a four wheel drive light flashing, which would be an indication of a module or output fault. If the module sees something that doesn't make sense, it sets the light, and if the switch is bad, it just assumes you've never tried to command four wheel drive. Of course, there's also the possibility the module went stupid on you and doesn't recognize wrong when it sees it. Best of luck with it, let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
breeze12
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 97 F150 4x4 Problem

Quote:
I would definately not rule out the swich because we've put a few in. I'm not sure of your year, so I can't give you wire colors, but check for voltage switching from wire to wire when you switch the switch with it plugged in. If voltage switches, it's probably either your transfer case shift relays (I had to look up where they are...I've never seen them go bad) they're near your battery junction box. It's also possibly a GEM module fault...black boxes can be such a pain in the rear. I expect it's probably a swich because you didn't mention a four wheel drive light flashing, which would be an indication of a module or output fault. If the module sees something that doesn't make sense, it sets the light, and if the switch is bad, it just assumes you've never tried to command four wheel drive. Of course, there's also the possibility the module went stupid on you and doesn't recognize wrong when it sees it. Best of luck with it, let us know how it turns out.
thanks for all the ideas, will let you know
Old 01-19-2005, 02:14 PM   #10
breeze12
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 97 F150 4x4 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze12
thanks for all the ideas, will let you know
well,,,,
removed and inspected gem module, no visible signs of moisture.
just for curiosity sake I sprayed a liberal amount of wd40 on the entire assembly, almost immediately after, while switching to 4x4 I heard almost like faint relay noises and now its working like normal.
Crazy huh? tHANKS YOTERNAMIC VERY MUCH APPRECIATED
HOPEFULLY IT CONTINUES TO WORK!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
roadready
AF Newbie

I have a similar problem also

We have had our 98 F150 do almost the same thing, Our problem is that it won't come out of low range after we put it in....
We recently posted a question as to suggestions on what may cause the problem, No answer yet.
It's a 98 4WD, 5.4 Litre,Automatic.

The only way we can get it to come out of low is to disconnect the battery cable, Let it sit over night, Turn the switch off, Then reconnect the battery, It came out.
We tried everything, Backing up, Going forward, Rocking it, Made sure it was on flat ground,We thought maybe it was in a bind and would'nt come out due to that.
Anyway, The battery cable was the only success we had in getting it out of low range.
We are still searching for an answer to repair the problem, But for now, That's all we can do on our's.
We made our post on this subject around Feb. 22, Maybe we will both get an answer soon :-)

Goodluck,
roadready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #12
breeze12
AF Newbie

If disconnecting the battery is the only solution its most likely the gem or maye the relays on firewall. have you checked out problems in previous post?
yotermatic had some good ideas to try. I believe the gem is the brain for what your talking about, which is why its probably kicking out of low on its own. good luck!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
bhess55
AF Newbie

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you. I've had a problem with the 4x4 on my 97 f150 for some time now. Was also having problems with the door ajar chime sticking when I KNOW the door was closed. I came across this web site...found these posts...located my GEM and a can of WD40, and all is good!

PS...breeze, how long can I expect this to work...should I sell NOW???
bhess55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #14
batman901
AF Newbie

Hello

It seems as if I have the same type of problem. I have a 1999 ford f250. It also has the shift on the fly switch. I have measured the resistance of the switch in both 4 hi and 4 lo positions. The switch looks like it has a resistor between each contact so the readings are not a direct short. The voltage measures 6.2 volts ( which seemed odd to me). According to the prints I have it looks as if the selector switch transfers and input back to the GEM module and then the Gem module turns on the correct relays to engage the motor on the transfer case. Is the correct ? I do not exactly know where the GEM module is located but I believe it is next to my emergency brake peddle. Is that correct? I t looks as if my problem might be the GEM module, because the switch seems to be working, but I don’t know for sure. Could anyone clear me up. I might be totally wrong.
batman901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
bigd40
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman901
Hello

It seems as if I have the same type of problem. I have a 1999 ford f250. It also has the shift on the fly switch. I have measured the resistance of the switch in both 4 hi and 4 lo positions. The switch looks like it has a resistor between each contact so the readings are not a direct short. The voltage measures 6.2 volts ( which seemed odd to me). According to the prints I have it looks as if the selector switch transfers and input back to the GEM module and then the Gem module turns on the correct relays to engage the motor on the transfer case. Is the correct ? I do not exactly know where the GEM module is located but I believe it is next to my emergency brake peddle. Is that correct? I t looks as if my problem might be the GEM module, because the switch seems to be working, but I don’t know for sure. Could anyone clear me up. I might be totally wrong.
I have been pulling my hair out over this same problem. (Mine is stuck in 4Hi.) I assmed I had a bad relay because when switching, I did not hear relays trip. All relays tested fine. I am now looking for the GEM module. Thanks for the input.
bigd40 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series