Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 02:29 AM   #1
zetaet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to zetaet
Unhappy How to paint the windows??

I have be wondering how to paint the black part inside the windows. Newer tamiya kits have masks for it... how abt old kits?

This has been the most time consuming n annoying task for me in building a car... How do you guys normally paint the black parts???

Any help is good..
Old 09-28-2002, 02:53 AM   #2
turbos86
AF Enthusiast

I go free hand if I brush paint, and use masking tape if I'm spraying.
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 03:20 AM   #3
Wishmaster
***** Lurker

Got some info for you...

If you had read the FAQ you would have found this :

Quote:
How do I paint the black on the inside of the windows?
The best result will be achieved by spraying semi-gloss black paint over Tamiya masking tape or the masking set included with many models. Apply the mask to the clean clear plastic, rubbing the edges will with the back of a fingernail or something similar. Then apply a very light dust of spray over the area, and leave to touch dry which is about 5 minutes. This seals the tape edges against paint ingress. Then apply another slightly heavier coat, allow to dry, and then another, until the surface opacity has gone. Remove the masking tape within 30 minutes to prevent the paint lifting with the tape

And with the search option I found Pman's HOW TO..:
HOW TO : Paint window frames
(if this link doesn't work, try the quick search in the upper right corner with Paint, Window, Frames as keywords..)

Greetz
Stefan
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 03:22 AM   #4
wkma7six
AF Regular

Mr. Zetaet,
The method I use is to apply Tamiya masking tape to the outside of the window area to be masked and hold that to a good light source. You should be able to see where the frosted/ clear area meets up. Take a pencil/ pen and marka a dot in the critical curves and corners. Once you do that, just connect the dots! It will help if you remove the masking tape and apply to a very clean surface and connect the dots with a flexible curve that draftsmen use and a ruler/ straight edge.
Now for the important step (side windows). The window mask you just cut out must be used on the opposite end of the side windows. The left outer one that was just made must be applied to the right side inner area to be masked.
This does not need to be done for the winshield or the rear glass though. Slight imperfections can be touched up with a permanent marker or some paint. Voila! You have just made your own Tamiya masks! Hope this helps and Good Luck.

-Walter
wkma7six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 04:42 AM   #5
zetaet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to zetaet
wow... i didnt know there are so many ways it can be done.. I can try out these different methods when I start on my next project... heheh... Thanks alot..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling