Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Escalade | ESV | EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
shorod
SHO No Mo

Overhead console power port

I have a wireless backup camera that I use when towing my travel trailer. It's installed on the back of my trailer and powered any time the RV plug is connected. The 7 inch display straps over my rear view mirror and I used to route the power cord for the display to the accessory port in the center console. That left a cord running over the cup holders and tied up a power point. My wife often would snag the power cord when removing or inserting cups in to the cup holders and some times we wished for another available power point.

My solution was to install a barrel receptacle in the overhead console for the backup camera monitor. Last night I pulled the console down and was happy to find that there's actually quite a bit of available real estate up there, along with plenty of power and grounds. Removing the console was pretty easy. Remove the lense cover for the map lights, then remove the two Torx-head screws. Toward the windshield there are two snap clip thingies that are released by just pulling straight down. There are two wiring connectors to unplug, then the entire console can be removed from the truck for surgery.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with switched power or constant power. There have been times that I've used the camera when I didn't have the key on, plus I wanted to tap a circuit that wouldn't generally be loaded otherwise when I'm towing, so I ultimately opted for constant power to the universal door opener assembly. When I'm camping I'm not using the garage opener so I wouldn't be overloading that circuit.

I tapped in to the Red/White wire for constant +12V and the black wire for Ground after installing the barrel receptacle. I used self-fusing silicone tape to insulate everything back up and tied the new wires to the existing harness.

Of course I then had to admire how nicely the receptacle fit. I drilled the hole using a step drill bit and wonderfully, one step was just right for the threaded body while the next one was just right for the "head" of the receptacle and resulted in a nice flush mount install.

I reinstalled the console in to the truck and confirmed there were no clearance issues and that it didn't blow any fuses. Success! Installed the receptacle is barely noticeably when not in use.

Next I installed the monitor over my mirror, cut the original cable to length, and installed the correct barrel plug on the cut end, leaving some extra length for strain relief. I now have a pretty common format accessory port that can be used for my backup camera, a nice stealth installation for a radar detector, etc. Not bad for about an hour of labor and a few dollars worth of parts.

-Rod

Last edited by shorod; 09-25-2014 at 02:05 PM.
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Escalade | ESV | EXT