Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
smily157
AF Newbie

1979 300D, many problems

I have a 1979 300D non turbo that i bought intending to fix up, but i got a lot more than i bargained for. I knew that it needed a new transmission, and it just so happened that my neighbor had a 1979 300SD (was a turbo) with a blown engine, so i took the transmission out of that and put it in mine. Now, it works, but it does not like to downshift, it takes it about 4 tries when going up a hill, and according to him, when his ran, there was no shifting problems at all, but his sat for a few years too. So i think it is just an adjustment, but i don't know, because it could have to do with going from a turbo to a non turbo or due to the fact it sat for a while.

Another problem is that there is an electrical short somewhere. When i got it, the A/C, fog lights and Aux Fan were all disconnected, i guess because the previous owner did not know what was causing the short. So if you don't use it for 2 days, the battery is completly dead, and i don't know how to check, any advice?

If anyone wants to see pictures or is interested in buying it, see my website: http://www.ryanstrains.com/mercedes/

Thanks
smily157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1979 300D, many problems

Yeah automatic tranny's ''gum'' up when they sit for awhile. Just drive it for a few hundred more miles and if it doesn't get any better then take it to get looked at.
My 81' 300D was strange shifting when I first got it, had been sitting for over a year. It would rev extremely high before shifting and then shift really harsh. After driving it for a little it's cleared up substantially. I hate automatic tranny's!
I am not sure if tranny's are different between non turbo and turbo.....maybe the tranny is waiting for a little more power to be given to it to downshift???
Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
LANDO10101
AF Newbie

Hey Buddy
Do Not Be So Quick To Sell Or Give Up On Such A Great Classic!!my 1978 (silver With Black Interior) 300d Turns Heads Everywhere I Go..
You Say You Are Having Tranny Problems""""have You Tried Servicing It????
Also Turbo And Non Turbos Will Have Torque Convertors With Different Output Specifications..
Did You Hold The Brake With The Car On And Put It In Each Gear When Filling The Tranny??? You Need To Do This To Make Sure All The Passages And Trans Cooler And Torque Convertor Will All Fill Properly..then Recheck The Level..
A Tranny Low On Fluid Will Not Work Or Slip And Give You Shifting Probs.
Good Luck
LANDO10101 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion