Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

2009 Jetta Diesel in a 1970 Charger?

Just got this idea one day watching a VW commercial,

what if you bought a new jetta diesel engine (and onther parts necissary to adapt it to he Charger of course) and modifyed it to fit a 1970 Dodge Charger? I don't know if this would be possible but it seems likeit could be.

post any comments on the idea of course but one thing I'm hoping to hear is some estimates on parts and total and parts cost.
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 2009 Jetta Diesel in a 1970 Charger?

Sure, it's quite possible... although some would, at best, call this unconventional... and at worst, call it a desicration of an historic atifact

There has been considerable interest recently on placing smaller diesel engines in cars that never were intended to have diesels. The problem here is most people want to do this to save money on fuel. But the thousands of dollars in conversion cost would far outweigh any fuel savings.

In North America, most available diesel engines are intended for truck or industrial use and are simply too large to fit in most cars.

However, in much of the world, diesel-powered cars are as common as gasoline-powered ones... therefore there are literally dozens of diesel engine designs which are small enough to fit in a Charger. Frankly, the VW engine is too underpowered for this. A six cylinder BMW or Mercedes diesel, (along with the RWD transmission) would be a much better choice.

I figure to buy a used driveline, along with the necessary electronic controls, wiring and installation would set you back $12k to $20k.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2009 Jetta Diesel in a 1970 Charger?

So this would be a little more expensive than first thought. and I just picked the name that I thought of first, I knew Mercedes made one but though it probaly cost a lot more than the Jetta version. But it s gona cost so much in conversion it doesn't really matter lol
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1970 , charger , concept , diesel , jetta
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars