Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 03:05 AM   #1
gators
AF Newbie

no bus and breaking down in '99 Durango

I have a '99 durango with ~45000 miles. Recently it has been breaking down on me. I feel it lose power until it dies all together. After about 20 minutes it will start again. This has happened 5 times. When it happened today, I was going about 30 mph, when I felt it lose power. The speedometer went to '0" - the 'check engine light came on', the 'fuel pump' light came on (like it does when you run out of gas), then I had this odd message on the odometer that said "NO BUS". This time I had it towed to Pep boys w/o trying to crank it with the hopes they can get a code. I told them about the "no bus" message but they did not seem to know anything about it. I have found this metioned on a few bulletins boards but not with much info. I think perhaps a Service Bulletin from Dodge said something about this. Does anyone have any ideas as to what "no Bus' means and perhaps if this is the cause of me breaking down. What can I do to get it fixed ? Please help. .Thanks!

Yesterday, Pep Boys said they were not able to get any codes from it. They are at a loss. Somewhere I read it was a loose wire harness somewhere..........but where? Where do I begin. Please help.
gators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
CDunk24
AF Newbie

Exclamation

Take it to a Dodge Dealer and have them check the PCM (Power Control Module). Mine started going out at 30,000 with the same symptoms. PCM's are covered under the 8yr/80,000 mile drivetrain warranty which is a good thing because the part runs about $700 but only takes 20-30 min to replace. Keep in mind, PCM's are very difficult to diagnose. The only way my mechanic could get it tested was to run it idle for 30 minutes and wiggle on the PCM for it to do the exact same thing with losing power and NO BUS in the odometer. Some might say something about voltage from the battery to the PCM which is erroneous because of the alternator passthrough, if voltage were an issue you'd be losing electric windows, radio and trip console electrical as well, which mine never did.
CDunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
PARTSMAN88
AF Newbie

i also had the same problem ..Very had to find...What we did find was that the circuit board in the pcm was getting hot and warping and breaking a circuit causeng the vehicle to shut down...didn't care how fast or how big of a hurry ( my broke going to lunch with my wife on our 20th anniversary) as a temp. fix I learned that I could wiggle the connections at the pcm and hear the fuel pump click back on..

good luck
PARTSMAN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
uberboo
AF Newbie

PDM & BDM problem here - stalling

I had the same issues with my 99 Durango (52K miles, purchased April 03) - truck died at stops and stop lights, especially when it was over 90 degrees and the A/C was on. Took it in to the Dodge dealership (thinking my purchased extended warranty would cover me). $650 dollars later....I had a cracked PDM (covered by 8/80K emission warranty) and a dead BCM (not covered by any warranty).

Good luck.
uberboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
durango1
AF Newbie

Unhappy no bus

I also have a '99 Durango with 50000 miles. Recently it has been breaking down on me. I feel it lose power until it dies all together. After about 2 to 20 minutes it will start again. This has happened 25 times. I have taken this vehicle to two shops one being Tom Madsen Dodge in Auburn Washington who claims to be a "five star dealership" They assured me they would take care of this problem so I left it there only for them to tell me that they could not fix a problem that does not exist. I realize that intermittent problem are hard to fid however given all the information pertaining to the problem how is it that they have never heard of such a thing?? Today I was traveling at about 60 MPH and I lost all power. Tach and Speedo went to zero. When I tried to restart I noticed that there were no reading on any gage and the "no Bus" message appeared an this time I cant restart so I open the hood and gently wiggle the connections at the PCM and I hear relays kick on and then my vehicle runs again. This is a serious problem and I am not amused by this situation. I had it towed to my office w/o trying to crank it. When I got there it was like nothing was wrong. Does anyone have any input as to what’s next .Thanks?
durango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
x21stcentury
AF Newbie

Re: no bus and breaking down in '99 Durango

1999 Dodge stratus No Bus Code
tried to drive through a flooded street stalled out got the same code and thats what lead me here to see what it meant. Thank You For The Info. Great car other than operator error (Flooding)
76+k no real problems Love my dodge.
x21stcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
shango
AF Newbie

Re: Re: no bus and breaking down in '99 Durango

most of the time this problem is caused by a crank shaft sensor that is shorting.
what happens is the crank sensor shorts the 5volt supply to ground causing the computer to shut down.
the no bus error occurs because the dash does not see the bus data line from the PCM.

there are 4 sensors that can cause this, the TPS, MAP, cam and crank sensor.
i have never seen anything but the crank sensor short.
most of the time the computer is replaced in error.
the crank sensor is located near the freze plug at the rear of the block.
if you have this problem, spend the $55 and replace the crank shaft sensor........Shango
shango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
TracyH68
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: no bus and breaking down in '99 Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by shango
most of the time this problem is caused by a crank shaft sensor that is shorting.
what happens is the crank sensor shorts the 5volt supply to ground causing the computer to shut down.
the no bus error occurs because the dash does not see the bus data line from the PCM.

there are 4 sensors that can cause this, the TPS, MAP, cam and crank sensor.
i have never seen anything but the crank sensor short.
most of the time the computer is replaced in error.
the crank sensor is located near the freze plug at the rear of the block.
if you have this problem, spend the $55 and replace the crank shaft sensor........Shango
I replaced my crank shaft sensor and my 99 durango ran perfect for two or three months but is now stalling again. What would be causing the crank sensor to go out so soon? Thanks for your input.
Tracy
TracyH68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
TracyH68
AF Newbie

Maybe it's fixed......

I changed the IAC valve today, it stalled once but started right back up, drove it around for awhile and it's ran great since. Time will tell I guess. It's difficult when your check engine light doesn't come on, you have a lot of guess work. My 99 Durango was losing all power and just dying. After about 5 or 10 minutes would start like nothing ever happened. I hope this fixed the problem. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
dmburrows
AF Newbie

What is an IAC valve?
dmburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
TracyH68
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

IAC is the Idle Air Control. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
geezergeek
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to geezergeek Send a message via Yahoo to geezergeek

I posted a reply to wireman today with the history, final fix and temporary workarounds of how I dealt with the "no bus" failure of my D, FYI, Joe.
Wiremans post was about 5.9l. D stalling.
geezergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
windkist
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezergeek
I posted a reply to wireman today with the history, final fix and temporary workarounds of how I dealt with the "no bus" failure of my D, FYI, Joe.
Wiremans post was about 5.9l. D stalling.
Could you re-post this? I cannot find where its posted. We recently purchased a very nice 99 dodge durango for my daughter but, after driving it only a few days it started stalling. Of course it never will at the mechanics. He did replace the Crank Sensor but, today after picking it up it stalled after about 10 minutes of driving. It started again right off but, its dangerous and we don't want to replace a bunch of unneccesary stuff. HELP!!!!

Leah
windkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
TracyH68
AF Newbie

It seems to be that whatever is causing this should be addressed by Dodge. There's to many Durango's with this problem. No one should have to play a guessing game and replacing parts that don't need replacing. I ended up trading my Durango in for a new car. I'll be leery of buying a Dodge vehicle again. Good luck to everyone with this problem and please post here if you find the fix. It'll benefit a LOT of people. Thanks.

Tracy
Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
windkist
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyH68
It seems to be that whatever is causing this should be addressed by Dodge. There's to many Durango's with this problem. No one should have to play a guessing game and replacing parts that don't need replacing. I ended up trading my Durango in for a new car. I'll be leery of buying a Dodge vehicle again. Good luck to everyone with this problem and please post here if you find the fix. It'll benefit a LOT of people. Thanks.

Tracy
wouldn't it be nice if Dodge did address this problem. It seems they do not care. The problems i've read about address changing these things.

fuel filter
fuel pump
02 sensor
crank sensor
computer

You would think with it happening to so many people even on the new ones they could narrow down this problem to one fix.

Leah
windkist is offline   Reply With Quote