Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
fwasilewskilak
AF Newbie

Unhappy Durango intermittenly dies while running

Over the past few months, my 1999 Dodge Durango with 64,000 miles on it and the 5.9 liter engine inexplainably dies when driving. It has happened about 4 times over the past 6 months. I will be driving along and all of the sudden, the car turns off while moving. I have to pull off the road and sit for a few minutes. After a bit, I start the car back up and it runs fine. This has occured when decelerating exiting the freeway, on a residential street while costing along and while accelerating on the freeway. Anyone heard anything like this before? Any thoughts would help, thanks.
fwasilewskilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
allycatz
AF Newbie

Re: Durango intermittenly dies while running

The same thing happened to my truck. It only happened one time and I too was exiting the freeway onto a residential road. I have no idea why it happened.
allycatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
fwasilewskilak
AF Newbie

Finally, someone with a similar problem. I think it has to do with the whole "Oil Sludge" theory that is talked about so often on this site. I tried the synthetic oil approach. Flushed out my oil with some sort of additive (can't remember the name, sorry) but the product said it would clean out sludge. Did that, flushed all that oil out and changed the oil switching to synthetic oil (Mobil 1). So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed. I figure if the synthetic oil will save my engine then I will fork over the extra $20 per oil change.
fwasilewskilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
seniorbigs
AF Regular

If it dies only on decelleration it may have an IAC motor problem. Flashing the PCM can take care of it.
seniorbigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
rcs426
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwasilewskilak
Over the past few months, my 1999 Dodge Durango with 64,000 miles on it and the 5.9 liter engine inexplainably dies when driving. It has happened about 4 times over the past 6 months. I will be driving along and all of the sudden, the car turns off while moving. I have to pull off the road and sit for a few minutes. After a bit, I start the car back up and it runs fine. This has occured when decelerating exiting the freeway, on a residential street while costing along and while accelerating on the freeway. Anyone heard anything like this before? Any thoughts would help, thanks.
if youhad not had your battery & charging system checked do that first! the same thing happened to my durango (98) 5.2 it was just a battery
rcs426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
sullivan78
AF Newbie

I have the 5.9 liter 1998 durango with 150,000 miles on it and just went through the same problem. It had to finally die permanantly and get towed to figure out the problem. It was the crank shaft sensor that went bad in my case. The symptoms were intermittantly dieing on the highway, but were not limited to inclines, declines, etc. The engine had to be under heavy load, towing a boat, to finally have it die. Aperantly, the crank shaft sensor, when it goes bad, is sensitive to heat, so it only happens under load which gives off higher heat in the engine compartment / transmission. The sensor cose about $150 to have the dealer replace. I have had not had the problem since.

Hope this helps!
sullivan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
steelerguy
AF Regular

Re: Re: Durango intermittenly dies while running

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorbigs
If it dies only on decelleration it may have an IAC motor problem. Flashing the PCM can take care of it.
What is IAC & did you actually actually fix stalling on deceleration with flashing the PCM? Where did you do it & how much did it cost?

Sent you a private message, but not sure that it went. Sorry for the double inquiry.
steelerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Old Stang
AF Newbie

IAC = Idle Air Control Valve.

It is located on the back of the throttle body facing the distributor/firewall and it will have a plug going into it. There are two torx screws holding it in (they can be tough to break loose sometimes).

They cost about $40 at an Autozone or the likes...

PCM flashing is done by the dealership.
Old Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
93burb
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 durango and it happens to mine also. But it only dies when in idle or low speeds under light or no loads at all. When running in high speeds or exiting the highway it runs fine and it only does it once in a great while. The funny thing is that right after it happens, even before I come to a complete stop, I can start it up right after and it runs perfectly fine! go figure, cause I can't figure it out!
93burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
acidicchip
AF Newbie

Hello everyone. I seem to be having the same problem. I've taken it to the shop several times, even had my transmission rebuilt (found shrapnel while trying to find the source to this problem), and the problem still persists... It's almost become a daily basis, I even got video of it dieing while in park at a coffee stand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-VUZ_qUI8 . Any official solution to this pesky issue?
acidicchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
x3mtm
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to x3mtm

have you guys checked your egr valves? when going on the high way, this valve closes for so that the engine runs better. well if there is carbon build up on it - it would get stuck and remain close, so by the time you let off the throttle, it would starve the engine of air, causing the engine to stall. this valve opens only when the engine is accelerating under LIGHT to MODERATE load or during PART THROTTLE. It is closed when engine is at idle, cold, or WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.
x3mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

When the engine dies, do you still have battery?

It takes a good battery for the electric fuel pump, ECU/PCU, and all the control modules.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
SEN10OH
AF Newbie

Took my rig to the shop was told when heat was applied to the computer the truck shut off its like the factory security shut down like it was getting stolen all the gauges just shut down and when I tried to turn it over it just turned but the gas gauge and the others didn't move after about 30-45 minutes it would start but with 100.00 degree weather here it would last good thing I was only 3 blocks from home plugged in an analyzer and it wouldn't give the same code twice took it to the shop was told that his guy in Texas didn't currently have one but I F he did it would be $900.00 +$200.00 for programming and +$100.00 to install anyone have any reputable online re builders info the mechanic tried 3 different orders to no avail I've always liked Mopar but the times they be achangin
SEN10OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
shorod
SHO No Mo

Did the 3 PCMs you tried all behave the same as the one that your truck came with? If so, I would be looking somewhere other than the PCM, such as a battery with an internal intermittent connection or a loose/dirty/corroded connection between the battery and the PCM.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango