Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
ashley500
AF Newbie

A/C Electrical HELP!!

A/C suddenly stopped working in my 2003 Corolla. We checked the relay (in drivers side under hood fuse box) and when we bypassed it the compressor came on. So I replaced the relay and it didn't work still. Then I went to Auto Zone where they bypassed the low pressure switch and the compressor came on. So I bought that from a dealership, put in today, and nothing, Compressor doesn't turn. If it works when we bypassed both of those am I looking closer to the switch inside the interior or closer to the unit itself? Any ideas? Thanks!!!
ashley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: A/C Electrical HELP!!

you have a leak in your system (low pressure)

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
ashley500
AF Newbie

ha!! I did have a leak... I spent $130 and a week with no AC and nobody told me I might have low pressure!! Thank-you for replying!!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

not sure how you replaced the switch without servicing the system....?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
ashley500
AF Newbie

Well...I'm sure I did it the wrong way... I loosened the old one (which hissed for maybe 5 seconds) then when it stopped I took it off and nothing else happened. I replaced with the new switch and later when I charged the system myself everything was fine. Its still not as cold as it should be but I am waiting to check the pressure today before adding any more. Then we will use a sniffer to find that leak that cost me all that money...
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley500
Well...I'm sure I did it the wrong way... I loosened the old one (which hissed for maybe 5 seconds) then when it stopped I took it off and nothing else happened. I replaced with the new switch and later when I charged the system myself everything was fine. Its still not as cold as it should be but I am waiting to check the pressure today before adding any more. Then we will use a sniffer to find that leak that cost me all that money...
if you didn't vacuum the system before adding freon, it'll never work right. Can't have oxygen or moisture in the system

Venting freon into the atmosphere ain't too good for the atmosphere either

You also shouldn't add a random amount of freon. Every system wants a very specific amount. Even 2 ounces over or under can cause loss of performance. And if you go too far over that suggested amount, you'll blow up the system (eventually)

I would recommend taking it to a shop that has a machine, and have it serviced. I bet that'll fix your problems

As for the leak, they could find it while servicing it.....we don't charge extra for that at our shop. Call around

Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
ashley500
AF Newbie

hey thanks alot. It is very misleading for them to sell the cans to charge the AC. It has a little gauge but doesn't show how much pressure exactly. It also claims to stop leaks but doesn't seem to help at all. I'm sure alot of people (like me) would use a can and expect everthing to be fixed. Ok I will bring it to a shop and hopefully find a fair price... thanks again
Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

don't ever use leak stopper in an AC system, destroys the entire system, and no shop will service it if they know its in there....it'll destroy their machine.

thats a $4000+ mistake

Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
ashley500
AF Newbie

Really!! Its a white can of refrigerant from auto zone. It just says it charges the AC system and seals most leaks in hoses, o-rings, and gaskets. Actually I think all of the different cans say they would seal leaks. So now what do I do with it? Don't alot of people use these products?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

not sure what to tell you on that. If it wasn't a pure sealer, IE, was formulated in a ratio with the freon, then you may be OK, because its the quanity that is the danger. I have seen what will happen if you pump a lot of sealer in a system, and its not pretty

Here's a technical article on leaks and sealers

http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...ealants_p2.php

I'd still take it to a shop, and definitely don't mention that you tried to fix it yourself first. I don't usually suggest that, but otherwise, you'll never find a shop that will work on it....but it shouldn't be a problem since the sealer amount was probably very small

But again, don't use sealers on ANY system. Power steering leaks, oil leaks, radiator leaks, they all have negative effects and are ineffective in general.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical