Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
jl-gearhead
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2001 shift race uphill

Anyone familiar with the 2001 PFinder LE automatic having a rev-up blip between 2nd and 3rd when cold? It pitches about 500 rpm when changing between gears. I get this most notably going up a hill, near work, when still cool engine. Miles are 34k, left in overdrive (default). I will likely go to a dealer soon, but hoping for some dirt on this, first???
jl-gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
plmont
AF Newbie

Sorry for the delayed response, but I stopped visiting this forum due to no one answering my posts...I'm guessing it's due to a lack of experienced, mechanically inclined individuals who truly know their vehicles. I've been trying to find a forum that has enthusiastic, knowledgeable members ready to share their experiences/expertise (such as IH8MUD.com is for Land Cruiser owners...now that's a top-notch forum), but have yet to find one for 4WD Nissan/Infiniti owners.

Regarding the shift issue with your 2001 PF, I think I had the same problem happen to me on a cold day a few weeks ago. I always wait until the engine is warm before leaving the driveway, so the truck wasn't "ice" cold, but as the tranny shifted up, it seemed to slip for a millisecond, then dropped into gear. It was a short, quick occurrence and hasn't happened since. I don't know if the tranny is electronically controlled (never looked further, because it happened just once), but it felt like it was electonically related.

Do you have an update?

Paul
plmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
jl-gearhead
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 shift race uphill

I am a fledgeling forum user, but appreciate the value of sharing info among users apart from "vested" parties like service tech's and dealers, etc.

Speaking of dealers, I droppped into a local dealership and caught the tech team leader on the floor and asked him about it. He agreed that the cold tranny fluid would cause a delay, thus race, when shifting under duress, like uphill, or quickly accel.

I am about to change the tranny fluid and filter (hit 35k mi today), and I will likely add a bottle of some off-the-shelf potion for better shifting. As most potions, it will likely be just bunk, but for $6 I could try it out...

Thanks for the response. I will put all efforts to being a helpful forum member, myself. I thin it is likely a Nissan design compromise (having been an automotive engineer (mechanical) for Honda in the 90's in Ohio, I know they happen once in a while)

John.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Tonupboy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy

I heard that's common...that happens to me when I start my engine cold doing a jackrabbit start...iI realized its a truck and not a fast car, so I stopped doing that and gradually speed up instead. No problem.

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
1993 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD V6
Tonupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
jl-gearhead
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl-gearhead
Anyone familiar with the 2001 PFinder LE automatic having a rev-up blip between 2nd and 3rd when cold? It pitches about 500 rpm when changing between gears. I get this most notably going up a hill, near work, when still cool engine. Miles are 34k, left in overdrive (default). I will likely go to a dealer soon, but hoping for some dirt on this, first???
UPDATE: My local dealership (Stateline Nissan) here in KC looked up my symptons in the mfgr bulletins and, behold, there is one for this "shift flare" as they call it. Not a recall, mind you, so they only list it as a service bulletin - fixing it when someone comes to complain, etc.

The fix amounts to a new PCM and solenoid. Now the "flare" is gone, cold tranny or not. If interested in a copy of the bulletin, send me you emil address - I scanned it.

J.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
IAMKNARF
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2001 shift race uphill

Quote:
UPDATE: My local dealership (Stateline Nissan) here in KC looked up my symptons in the mfgr bulletins and, behold, there is one for this "shift flare" as they call it. Not a recall, mind you, so they only list it as a service bulletin - fixing it when someone comes to complain, etc.

The fix amounts to a new PCM and solenoid. Now the "flare" is gone, cold tranny or not. If interested in a copy of the bulletin, send me you emil address - I scanned it.

J.
Hey Jl
Thanks for the post..
Can you send me a copy..my email is fjvumbaco@comcast.net
Not sure if this will cure my problem..yours seems a bit diff. but who know..
Thanks
iamknarf
IAMKNARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
canewf
AF Newbie

Quote:

J.
jl-gearhead...thanks for this post. I'm seeing the same thing with my 01 PF. Mind firing me off the TSB to newfie1977@yahoo.com? Thanks!

I questioned the dealership on this problem...and they were clueless. The service rep didn't know what TSB meant at first ...but slowly started putting two and two together. If I had a copy of the TSB, they'll quote me what it'll cost to repair.

Thanks for the help...
Newf
canewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
jl-gearhead
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2001 shift race uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by canewf
jl-gearhead...thanks for this post. I'm seeing the same thing with my 01 PF. Mind firing me off the TSB to newfie1977@yahoo.com? Thanks!

I questioned the dealership on this problem...and they were clueless. The service rep didn't know what TSB meant at first ...but slowly started putting two and two together. If I had a copy of the TSB, they'll quote me what it'll cost to repair.

Thanks for the help...
Newf
Will do. By the way, Dealerships are obligated to fix this problem under warranty, so the quote idea is moot. The deal is, you have to complain about it, first!

J.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
wyldsmoke
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2001 shift race uphill

Quote:
Will do. By the way, Dealerships are obligated to fix this problem under warranty, so the quote idea is moot. The deal is, you have to complain about it, first!

J.

Hey do you think you could send me the TSB as well: myle_s@hotmail.com would be much obliged!
wyldsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
RichmondVA Jimmy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2001 shift race uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldsmoke
Hey do you think you could send me the TSB as well: myle_s@hotmail.com would be much obliged!
I am having the same shift flare with my 01 PH. Can you send me the documentation to me at: jameswells271@comcast.net. Thanks for the info. Do you know how long this item is covered under warranty?
RichmondVA Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
jl-gearhead
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

done, and done. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
cphilip
AF Newbie

Quote:

J.
I too would appreciate a copy of the bulletin. My e-mail is cphilip67@yahoo.com.

Thank you
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:37 AM   #13
jive1414
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2001 shift race uphill

Hey gearhead-
Please send me this info. My '01 path slips between 2nd and 3rd all the time. I've been searching and searching for the cause/solution forever. Please, Please email it to me at celis.steve@gmail.com.
thanks so much!!!!
jive1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail