Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
eti engineer
AF Regular

After Market Xterra Mods

Hi Gents. Long time since I have been on this site. Took a trip to Utah and got the 2006 Xterra into low range for the first time. Very impressive, even to my brothers who own highly modified Broncos for rock climbing in Moab.

A few questions...

First -- I have heard a rumor that someone is close to offering a solid front axle for the Xterra as an aftermarket item. Anyone else heard this??

Second -- Climbing around in the Rockies in Utah, one thing about the newer Xterras became evident. The bumper stops on the rear axle are much too long. Has anyone ever cut them off and if so, were there any issues with brake lines, etc.?

Third -- While at higher elevations, it became very apparent that the Xterra was suffering from anemia. Can anyone recommend a good after market intake and exhaust system that won't mess with the computer?? Prices??

Fourth -- Any other advice you can give me to make this vehicle an even better off-road machine than it already is.

I certainly would appreciate any input you all might have. I have no complaints -- the rig performed very well in its completely stock form, but I can see places to make it an even better machine than it is, if the stuff is available.

Later...

eti engineer

10 pm. my yard. your cat. my gun sights. (keep 'em home!!!)
eti engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: After Market Xterra Mods

Best place for 05+ Xterra info is www.thenewx.org

Good luck,
Brent
Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
eti engineer
AF Regular

Offroad,

ANy advice on the rear axle bumper stops?? I have heard that other Xterra owners have had this issue and have cut them, but that is rumor. I would be afraid to cut them only to find I stretch a brake hose to the breaking point.

Have you ever heard anything about this??

I will visit the site you recommend. I also know that I need a skid plate for the front diff. It is made of aluminum from what I can tell and I would hate to trash it on rock somewhere...

Thanks for the advice...

eti engineer

Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

Haven't heard that the rear bumpstops are too long, but I have heard that the rear springs are too soft which causes the bumpstops to get hit too often.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
eti engineer
AF Regular

Maybe that is what it is. If this is the case, that can be remedied fairly easily. I have noticed that when I have passengers in the back the rear axle seems to bottom out too easily when one hits a transition in the freeway surfaces. I will look into this.

Thanks, and by the way, that website is awesome. My brothers in Utah both have highly modified Broncos, which they take to Moad with regularity. I sent them the pix of the Xterra with axle articulation that was extreme and the parts list to go with it. They are all for modifying my truck now. To bad it is a daily hauler for the time being. Maybe later...

Have a good one, whatever it is...

eti engineer

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail