Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Yugo > Cabrio/GVX/GV+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
a testament to quality engineering...

FOR HONDA!!!!!
Man, these cars suck so bad. When one mag went to test it, the ditributor broke. One guy went to test drive one, and the radio fell out, the shift nob came off in his hand, and you could see gaps in the weather stripping. And people actually bought them!!!?!??!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-28-2001, 12:05 PM   #2
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
To the unknowledgeable, at first it looks like a pleasant little Cabrio from the 80's:

Then you step inside........

The dash looks like it's made out of the same cheap plastic that they use to make those fake monitors and keyboards that are in the desks at Staples! It looks like you could poke your finger right through it!

Old 09-28-2001, 12:55 PM   #3
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

It's a shame, really. Yugo was supposed to be the economic rebirth of then Yugoslavia. Using an aborted fiat project, the founders hoped to spur the economy for poor displaced peasants.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:19 PM   #4
Chris
Oldie

And the expose metal from the body wasnt there to be fashionable, either. It would rust through in about 40-50 days, just long enough so when you went in for warranty, the company would be bankrupt. Then you would get slush and water and dust and everything come up through the holes. If the wheels didnt fall off. Or the car didnt split in two. Or the gearbox didnt self-destruct, or.... thats enough.

But really, this has had 2 replies in about an hour, pretty good for Yugo
Old 09-28-2001, 06:22 PM   #5
Seraph
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Seraph
Talking lol

Does anyone have the performance stats for this? :smoker:

1989-2001.
Audi V8. Metallic blue. 3.6l. 260hp. Black leather and woodgrain interior.
Murdered by a Hiace van.
She is no more.
She will be remembered.
Rest in peace .
Old 09-28-2001, 06:33 PM   #6
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
A prerequisite for performance stats is performance.

Here's your performance: LOL!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yugor.jpg (27.3 KB, 637 views)
Old 09-28-2001, 06:41 PM   #7
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Re: lol

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
0-60km...in 3 days
0-100km....you must be joking !!
top speed.......95km on a very steep down hill with strong tail wind.

That has got to be the biggest piece of crap i've seen here

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:06 PM   #8
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Re: Re: lol

Quote:
Originally posted by primera man

0-60km...in 3 days
0-100km....you must be joking !!
top speed.......95km on a very steep down hill with strong tail wind.

That has got to be the biggest piece of crap i've seen here
:hehe::hehe::hehehe::hehehe:
Old 09-28-2001, 08:11 PM   #9
Chris
Oldie

We used to have a Micra (nissan, not in the states, just Canada and Europe) and its top speed was 120kph (72mph) going down the 1-mile-hill near Marathon, Ontario (halfway up lake superior and DAMN COLD!!!). And it is far superior to the Yugo.

I actually have some stats on a Yugo (not the cabrio, it would be even worse) I will post them monday.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:21 AM   #10
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by enginerd
It's a shame, really. Yugo was supposed to be the economic rebirth of then Yugoslavia. Using an aborted fiat project, the founders hoped to spur the economy for poor displaced peasants.
Zastava, the company that produced the Yugo, was bringing great things to the people who built the cars. Yugos sold well in the US (the first year) and was exported to a number of other countries. It, and the model that followed, could have provided the basis for a new economy in Yugoslavia, but the war interrupted that.

The Yugo wasn't based on "an aborted Fiat project." That would lead you to assume that Fiat didn't build it. The Fiat 126 was produced for many years in many countries and became the basis for basic transportation in much of Eastern Europe and South America. It would be better stated that the Yugo was based on ancient Fiat technology.

I'm still looking for a good-condition (a relative term in this case), low-priced (you'd be surprised) Yugo Cabrio for my collection.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:20 PM   #11
Chris
Oldie

Fiats didnt have the best quality either. The were cheap, 4 grand, 1000 cheaper than Hyundai's and stuff like that. Why do you want a Yugo for, anyway, Hudson??
Old 10-01-2001, 01:12 PM   #12
Hudson
Old Mod

There's just something about the Yugo. I've had American, German, English, and Japanese cars...I need a Yugoslavian car to add to the resume. I would like to have a later model FI coupe and I definitely want a Cabrio.

I've found a few Cabrios for sale. The least expensive was $1500, but it had an "R" title and had some minor body damage. It also had been broken into (steering column cover was gone) but since these were only generic Yugo parts, it wasn't a problem. The big problem was that it was missing atleast two Cabrio-exclusive trim pieces...nearly impossible to replace.

The other Cabrios I've located were $6k and $12k (honest).
Old 10-01-2001, 01:41 PM   #13
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Didn't the same guy who imported the Yugo also import the suicidal Subaru 360?

Hudson: I've seen Yugos on Ebay or you could look for some Yugo chat rooms. Yugo has a cult following in the U.S.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:12 PM   #14
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Hudson: Collection? Now you've piqued my interest....what's all in this collection?

If I remeber correctly it was Malcomb Bricklin who brought the Yugo to North America. He was also involved in bring Subaru to North America, and he was the creator of the ill-fated Bricklin SV-1 Safety Sports car (built in my home province, New Brunswick! )

Also, Hudson, you said that Yugo was broken into?!? What was that thief thinking?

Old 10-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #15
Hudson
Old Mod

It has been said that Mr. Bricklin made his fortune starting a home improvement supply store chain in Florida back in the 1960s. He sold that and sold some Japanese mopeds that were in storage and nobody seemed able to sell them. This gave him access to other products produced by that company. Bricklin and another gentleman formed Subaru of America to import the Subaru 360 from Japan. After finding them to be more than a bit flawed (for the US market, anyway), he explained to Fuji Heavy that if they didn't allow him to sell the product he wanted to sell in the first place, they'd never sell cars in the US again. He got what he wanted and was able to market the "Star", sold here as the Subaru FF1.

He left SoA to form Bricklin which began production in 1974. In the early 1980s, he formed IAI and gained the rights to import Fiats, after Fiat retreated from the US. He sold the Bertone X1/9 (formerly the Fiat X1/9) and the Pininfarina Azzura (formerly the Fiat 2000 Spider). He added the Yugo in 1985 and had the rights to the Malaysian car Proton, but never imported it.

In the 1990s, Bricklin made the insane claim that he would form a company which would buy up dealerships across the US. His goal was to sell 1-in-10 cars sold in the US. While insane at the time, another company quite nearly pulled off this feat by the end of the 1990s. He was more sane than I gave him credit for.

As for the Yugo, I know there's a cult following. It's an odd bunch of folks and when I get more garage space, I'll probably join their ranks.

My collection is small at the moment, but car show season is coming and, given the right car, I could fill a space in a neighbor's barn. I've got an MG and a Suzuki (car) as well as a Moto Guzzi (moped). I'm looking to add a Yugo Cabrio or Lancia Zagato or any of a dozen other underloved cars.

That Yugo that was "broken into" did intrigue me. Why would someone want to steal one? Wouldn't it be cheaper to actually buy the car than buy the screwdriver necessary to pop the ignition? Heck, syphon the gas from the car and you've already depreciated the value of the car 75%.

Guy walks into a Pep Boys and asks the counterperson: "How about a gas cap for a Yugo?"

Counterperson replies, "sounds like a good trade."

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Yugo > Cabrio/GVX/GV+