Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
newmanw10
AF Newbie

Re: VSC, TRAC light on

Wo hoo, VSC light is now off. SO I will start feom the beginning. Service shop said it was asking for re-calibration. I checked the code and it was a 39. One of the above posts said 39 was rear left wheel sensor problem. I cleaned both rear wheel sensors. I then found another post on how to re-calibrate the VCS system. This fixed it so I am wondersing if a 39 from the VCS is a re-calibrate code, but I don't hold me to anything as I am not sure how to look up the codes.

Followthe zero point calibration procedure (it is close to the end of the TSB form, ignore the other repairs) for 03 4Runner seen here:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attach...?postid=223187

This is TSB BR005-03.

Basically, I turned ON, shorted OBD pins 4 and 14 four times to reset the VSC zero point, turned off, turned ON for 20 seconds, turned off, shorted pins 4 & 14, turned ON for 2 seconds and turned off. Problem fixed, and trac is working fine again.

MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE PIN CONFIGURATION ON THE TSB IT IS DIFFERENT THAN THE POST ABOVE. 4 and 14 correspond to 3 and 13 on the above diagram. Don't worry if you get it wrong nothing bad will happen you just won't get the correct results, so verify you have the correct pins and try again.

My advice would be to try the calibration first as it takes about 5 minutes. If the light still comes on cleans the sensors and re-calibrate. I did the sensors fist only becuase I was trouble shooting.

Good Luck!
newmanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
Ventura HiWay
AF Newbie

Newmanw10

Sorry, I haven’t checked this thread for a while. Interesting that you have the same problem after having a CEL. The left rear is the driver side rear. Left & right in auto speak is always referenced from sitting in the drivers seat. Therefore left = drivers side, right = passenger. The sensors are connected by a plug right behind the hub. That is where they are on my Highlander. 2001 2WD. It may be different if you have a 4WD.
I checked the resistance & the voltage signal at the wheel & both checked OK. I compared it with the right rear & it was at a similar level. I still have a code.

I am going to try the recalibration procedure.

Was it a dealer who told you it needed to be calibrated?

Ventura HiWay

Last edited by Ventura HiWay; 07-24-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Ventura HiWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #18
samm281
AF Newbie

Smile Re: VSC, TRAC light on

Thanks newmanw10 for the TSB. I replaced my Catalytic converter but had the battery disconnected for at least 3 hours. After I buttoned it all up and drove it I noticed the vsc lights were on. As soon as the wheels would move the light would come on. I performed the zero point cal. as instructed in the TSB and that took care of it. Now I'm off to get it inspected! Wahoo!
samm281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
tr7driver
AF Newbie

Where is the diagnostic port?

I have the same problem, VSC but no CEL on an 01 V6 Highlander. I want to try resetting the zero calibration on the Yaw but I can't find the "Diagnostics" connector on the highlander. On the Avy it sits on the air intake above the rear timing chain cover. Any ideas where I could find the equivalent connector on the highlander?
Here are photos of what I think I'm looking for.

thanks!
tr7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #20
samm281
AF Newbie

Mine was located on the driver's side below the dash console close to the door near the fuse box. That is probably a common spot on most cars these days. I hope that helps.
My light is still off and all is good (and legal).
samm281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
celerity
AF Newbie

So I had the same problem, but I'll restate the problem and solution to allow others to Google it all in one place.

I had a Check Engine Light (CEL) come on, as a result of an O2 sensor failure on a Lexus ES300 2002, 110,000 miles exactly. That same day, went to AutoZone to have them read the code for me, which they did with their OBD II scanner. At that time, not sure of causality, the VSC and Trac Off indicator lights lit. I took the car to a service station, they changed the O2 sensor, and the CEL went off. However, the VSC and Trac Off came on again after driving a few feet. So, I found this page, followed the instructions on p.7-p.8 of the procedure at the link, and the VSC and Trac Off lights went off, and have stayed off for several times using the car.

I followed the procedure (which must be done exactly or it doesn't work):

Zero Point Calibration of Yaw Rate and Deceleration Sensors Using SST 09843–18040.

First, locate the 16-pin white ODB II connector underneath the center of the steering wheel (which is apparently DLC3). The pins are numbered sequentially backwards from right to left (from the wide side of the connector looking at it from underneath) like this:

(from left to right )
== 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9 = (narrow edge of the connector)
== 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = (wide edge of the connector)
Ts=14
CG=4

Take 2 normal-sized paper clips. Straighten one edge of one of the paper clips. For the other, bend it open to a 90-degree angle (like an elbow). Stick one paper clip into 14, and the other paper clip into 4, don't let the 2 paper clips touch.

Step 3 below is the only one changed to refer to the paper clips rather than the tool that was mentioned in the original .pdf file.

1. Ensure the shift lever is in “P” range.
2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
3. Using the bent paper clip, rotate it into the straight paper clip to repeat a cycle of short and open between terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 4 times or more within 8 seconds. Verify that the VSC indicator light is lit indicating the recorded zero point is erased.
4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
5. Be sure the terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 are disconnected.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON.
7. Check that the VSC warning light goes off about 15 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON.
8. After ensuring that the VSC warning light remains OFF for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.
9. Connect the terminal Ts and CG of DLC3 using SST 09843–18040.
10. Turn the ignition switch ON.
11. After turning the ignition switch ON, check that the VSC warning light is lit for about 4 seconds and then starts quick blinking at 0.13 second intervals.
12. After ensuring the blinking of the VSC warning light for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.
13. Remove the SST from terminals Ts and CG of DLC3.

Drive the vehicle to confirm there are no re–occurring lights or DTCs.

Hopefully it works for you as well as it did for me!
celerity is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger