Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Doranne
AF Newbie

Unhappy Unusual tire wear on HiHy

I own a 2008 HiHY. The original tires were Toyo and needed to be replaced because of excessive wear at 15,000. I went to a Bridgestone tire at that point, thinking it was the Toyo tire that wore too quickly. Yesterday, I had to replace the Bridgestone tires at, yet again, 15,000. Because the HiHy has a 19" tire, I am limited as to manufacturers of that size. I replaced with Bridgestone.

I'm not quite sure what is happening. Why am I only getting 15,000 miles out of a 60,000 mile tire? I am 52 years old. Drive now as I always have and have always gotten at least 30,000 miles from my tires (usually Michelins).

Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be something to do with the hybrid factor, i.e., weight of vehicle or weight distribution?

Thank you for any feedback.

PS- We also own a 2009 Camry Hybrid. First set of tires were replaced at 10,000 miles (Michelins); 2nd set replaced after 15,000, also Michelins. What the heck?!
Doranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Unusual tire wear on HiHy

Have your alignment checked on both vehicles. Even if the alignment is within specs, there have been instances of cars being very near out-of-alignment causing problems with tire wear. In these cases, the car was built without the ability to make the tire sit as flat as possible. The best possible alignment for these cars were just barely within specs and not at the center of the specs as should be adjusted.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote