Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Street/Track Racing Stories! Beat any Mustangs today? Tell everyone about what your Honda can do! (Keep it clean)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
1sicprelude
AF Newbie

94 vtec vs vr4

My friend just got his 95 vtec civic back (parents), and we were out breaking it in until we got torn up by a black infinity coupe sports car. At that point we decided to go back to my place and switch to my 94 prelude w/ jdm h22a. It was a pretty uneventful night, raced a late 90's accord, no contest. Then a mid-late 90's integra, again no contest. Tried to race another integra, did a u-turn on sr500 just to smoke him but he didn't even look over when I reved my engine. What really was rice was his unpainted bodykit and the fact that he reved his engine when I got onto the highway a couple of min. after he wouldn't race. fag. Anyway I was on 4th plain (vancouver wa) and a 91 prelude pulled up next to me and reved his engine. Complete waste of time, I had 3 cars at least by 3rd gear. Anyway it was at this point I saw him, silver 3000gt vr4, f-ing beautiful. Red light and nobody next to him. I'm not dumb, I knew i couldn't win, but it would be fun though. So I rev my engine and he does nothing. Light turns and I'm off and he wasen't. I think the girl in the passenger seat got him to race because about a quater of a mile later I saw him coming on hard. Anyway, I get to fifth gear and i'm still ahead but I can't deal with his power and he passes me. At the next light it was the perfect setup. red light, with a 2 mile straight away past it. So were both waiting, reving, the race was on for sure. The light turns and I got the best jump i've ever gotten, can be tricky w/ a manual and no lsd. anyway his passenger door was even with my front fender in first. I stayed with him shift for shift and when I shifted into 5th, my door was even with his rear wheel. In 5th he was gone, don't have the power to run up there with a car like that, but I stayed w/a 300+ hoarsepower car for a good 9-13 seconds. Its not a kill, not even a win, but somehow it feels like a victory. also I have a witness, good thing because nobody would believe me otherwise. sorry about the long post, it's exciting just thinking about it
1sicprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Well done.

To bad that guy had a bad launch or didn't know what he was donig, that VR4 should have eaten you alive off the start. Its where the AWD pays its dividends.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 10-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
juicy19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to juicy19

That VR4 should have handed it to you.
3" Intake with K&N
GReddy Exhaust
Unorthodox Racing Pullies
JET enhanced ECU
10.3 OBX Plug Wires
juicy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
1sicprelude
AF Newbie

Re: 94 vtec vs vr4

I know I had no shot, never would I think my car could keep up with a machine like that, just funny to see what a driver and technique means in a race.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
YogsVR4

Very true - the driver is the biggest asset or liability.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #6
pac4eva5
AF Regular

i pretty much doubt you hung with him till 5th. im willing to bet money he never even got into 5th, unless he was shifting at 3000 rpm or something
pac4eva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748
It must've been a pretty damn long race if it was all the way to fifth. (Lude 5th gear = over 120mph)
Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

funny how a ff outran a 4wd
jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #9
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748
Re: Re: 94 vtec vs vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrev
Funny how your comment is completely irrelevant.

(I'm not saying that a Prelude can outrun a VR4; but if you knew anything about drivetrains at all, you would know that if you're drag racing, awd will only help you on the launch. In fact, in some awd applications, the car actually loses steam at high speeds due to the awd drivetrain. [ie;wrx])

That is unless your post above is sarcasm, then disregard this post.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #10
1stGenDSM
AF Newbie

Not to shabby; What year was the 3kgt? my Mommy has a VR-4 i know what a car for a Mom to have but there not as fast as everyone thinks i beat her with my Eclipse GS-t but than agian im running 11's
1stGenDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #11
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

of course i know that, i tried to say is how are you going to get a better launch with a ff on a 4wd! unless the vr4 shifted like at 3k rpms!
jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:32 AM   #12
1sicprelude
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 94 vtec vs vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrev
Actually if you read what I said, I was never even in the lead, he had me off the line and I NEVER caught him. I said I stayed with him, BIG difference. Second, what would shifting at 3000 rpm have to do with his launch? Maybe you ment droping the clutch at 3000, but that doesent really make sense. Anyway, All I said was that I kept up w/him, who knows why, it just happened, it was exciting, so I posted it. I don't think anyone, myself included, would think my car could beat a vr4, I'm not some ricer who thinks he can smoke vetts. As for the year, I don't really know, the chick in the passenger seat wouldn't roll down the window to talk. I didn't have flip up lights so I think it was newer, but I dont know much about 3000gts other then VR4=super fast, and sl owners wish they had VR4s.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #13
1sicprelude
AF Newbie

Did a little math because I wanted to know exactly what I was up against. Assuming he was stock, which I don't know but I have no reason to believe otherwise, a 1998 vr4 (the fastest and lightest VR4 stock) weights 3737 lbs. The car has 320 hp @6000 rpms and 315 ft/lbs tq. at 2500 rpm. My h22a is stock at 2800 lbs, and has 200 hp @ 6800 rpm and has 158 ft/lbs tq. at 5500 rpm. I also have I/H/E that must be giving me alittle bit more power, but since I don't know how much, I'll assume 0. Factoring out driver and passenger weight in both cars the VR4 has to move 11.7 lbs/hp. My car has to move 14 lbs/hp. somewhat even. His car has to move 11.9 ft/lbs per torque while mine has to move 17.7 ft/lbs per torque. What does this Mean?

1- he should have destroyed me off the line because he has way more torque then me, and awd, but for whatever reason he didn't.

2- since our hp to weight ratios are so close, about 2 lbs per hoarsepower, it shouldn't be such a surprise it took until 5th gear for him to pull away from me.

3- hondas suck when it comes to torque, everyone knows that.

4-If the I/H/E get me 10 net hp (a reasonable number, not the 40 the greddy and aem parts claim), my hp/weight drops to 13.3 lbs/hp which makes the top end race even closer.

5- If he had a heavier year, or a year w/ less hp and tq. it would make the numbers even closer
Old 10-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #14
YogsVR4

While the hp and torque to weight ratio does give indications of performance, there are to many other factors not considered. The power band, traction, gearing and a host of others. Still, the driver makes the biggest difference.

The VR4 biggest asset is that it generates its torque at low RPM and holds it for a quite some time. Coupled with the AWD, it leaps off the line. You did real well to hang for as long as you did. Your good driving seems to have gotten the most out of your car. Well done

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!