Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Classic GTO's (1964-1974)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
JakeTN1
AF Newbie

Question What cam?

I need some assistance picking a cam for my 400. I see alot of info regarding the LSA of a cam, here's specifics:

67 GTO

Heads: RA4 (614's)
Dougs Headers - 1/3/4 tubes
HO455 Al intake (port matched)
Flat top pistons TRW L2262F - std. bore at this time* CR around 10:2.1*
Rear end ratio: 3.90
TH400 with 2,600 stall TCI converter
Weight: about 3575
Cam used last 30 years; Ram Air 4 9794041 "T" Pontiac
Carb: Quadrajet 800 CFM
Rockers: 1.65 Comp Cams

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine, and want to use the latest technology cam, but not too sure which one to use? I may have to overbore the block to .030 and then have the pistons dished to run today's lousy gasoline. Hoping for around 9:2.1 CR with no more than 9:5.1.
The combination that I have run forever has been perfect, plenty torque and HP.
The "T" cam is has a 113.5 LSA, if I used a newer model cam with the same LSA would I be in trouble with detonation and ping? It's a weekend driver, so the use of Premium is not an issue.
The Comp Cams rep said to use their 51-224 cam with a 110 LSA, that's where the confusion started. I'm leaning heavily toward the Crane RA4 model,
Edelbrock 7157, or even the Comp RA4 cam. I would like the lope that the T cam had and the excellent mid-range.

Comments welcome!! Thanks in advance!!
JakeTN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
66 Glide
AF Newbie

Re: What cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTN1
I need some assistance picking a cam for my 400. I see alot of info regarding the LSA of a cam, here's specifics:

67 GTO

Heads: RA4 (614's)
Dougs Headers - 1/3/4 tubes
HO455 Al intake (port matched)
Flat top pistons TRW L2262F - std. bore at this time* CR around 10:2.1*
Rear end ratio: 3.90
TH400 with 2,600 stall TCI converter
Weight: about 3575
Cam used last 30 years; Ram Air 4 9794041 "T" Pontiac
Carb: Quadrajet 800 CFM
Rockers: 1.65 Comp Cams

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine, and want to use the latest technology cam, but not too sure which one to use? I may have to overbore the block to .030 and then have the pistons dished to run today's lousy gasoline. Hoping for around 9:2.1 CR with no more than 9:5.1.
The combination that I have run forever has been perfect, plenty torque and HP.
The "T" cam is has a 113.5 LSA, if I used a newer model cam with the same LSA would I be in trouble with detonation and ping? It's a weekend driver, so the use of Premium is not an issue.
The Comp Cams rep said to use their 51-224 cam with a 110 LSA, that's where the confusion started. I'm leaning heavily toward the Crane RA4 model,
Edelbrock 7157, or even the Comp RA4 cam. I would like the lope that the T cam had and the excellent mid-range.

Comments welcome!! Thanks in advance!!
Elderbrock 7157 231/210 dur. @.050
.470/.470 lift
Look it up.
Run high test you'll appreciate the cam more.
Gary
66 Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

This is a duplicate post from another Pontiac site. Find the most accurate answers there... But yes, XE274H is an excellent grind for this application.

Not to be rude, but the "Edelbrock" cam you refer to is a knock-off of a 42 year old factory performance grind (Ram Air IV or "041"). While not a BAD cam in a higher compressoin environement, it is a turd in a 9.5:1 engine unless "advanced" 4 degrees. It has been obsolete for no less than 10 years now. This is true with the majority of Edelbrock's cam offerings. Edelbrock BUYS cams, they don't grind them, or even "design" them. Most are Wolverine "Blue Racer" or other Camshaft Machine "generi-grinds". Comp and Crower have leading-edge technology and are far superior.

Please, tell me you're refering to a Chevy (or maybe a Harley?) when you say "66 Glide"...

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
quick69gto
AF Regular

I've run the Comp Cams 51-224 cam in a 455. It sounded like a 041 cam at idle but it had way more mid range and top end (1600 to 5800rpm).
I think the 51-224 cam in a 400 will sound more aggressive at idle than an 041 in the same engine.
I also believe the 51-224 cam will pull harder.

Good luck!
quick69gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Crane Cams - out of business!

Quote:
DAYTONA BEACH — Crane Cams, a 56-year-old auto parts manufacturer, closed its doors this week and laid off its employees, a worker said today.

The news took Volusia County’s top economic development officer by surprise. City, county and state officials were working with Crane Cams and officials from its New Jersey parent, Mikronite Technologies, to keep the company open and in the community.

“We were trying to help them through this transition,” said Rick Michael, Volusia County economic development director. “They were considering a transfer of ownership. We were not expecting any closure.”

An automated voice mail system at Crane’s plant on Fentress Boulevard announced at midday today the company was closed and suggested calling back during business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A call to Mikronite’s New Jersey offices produced similar results. Six cars sat in the parking lot early this afternoon at the local plant, which employed 220 just three years ago.

Inside the lobby, a reception desk sat empty. A call from the lobby phone got an answer from Dennis Burgess, who declined to comment and said no one at the plant could provide information.

In the parking lot, 14-year employee Ronald Dorn was leaving the plant for what he believed was the last time

He said workers were told during the past week that layoffs were likely, but he didn’t expect the plant to close.

Mikronite received approval in 2006 to receive tax rebates from the state and the county amid discussion about moving its New Jersey operations here. But the company ended its contract with the state in 2008 due to nonperformance, Michael said.

“Crane has gone through a series of small layoffs recently,” he said.

Crane Cams and Crane Technologies Group were founded by Harvey J. Crane Jr. in 1953 as Crane Engineering Inc. in Hallandale. The company is well known in high-performance and racing circles for its line of camshafts and engine valve train components.

In 1979, Crane Cams became an employee-owned company. Some operations moved to Daytona Beach in 1981, with the remainder of the operation and employees relocating here in 1985.

Mikronite, an industrial technology firm, bought Crane in 2006.

In March 2007, Mikronite sold its property on Fentress to STAG Capital Partners of Boston, then signed a 10-year lease.
Harvey Crane's Cam School & harvey CRANE, Inc.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

HotZ,

Any particular reason you posted the Crane Cam failure here? No good running Pontiacs use Crane cams for MANY years now... Crane is gone because they did not offer competitive products and had very poor customer service after the large corporate "take over" from Harvey. Imagine my surprise...

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPbody
Any particular reason you posted the Crane Cam failure here?
Wow, time flies! Been awhile since I checked in here!!!!! Anyway, I was hoping to discourage Jake's consideration of Crane products, considering he mentioned them in his first post! We ran some original Harvey 'Crane' protype cams in our small block F/G Vette back in the early 70's. Good product when Harvey was behind the operation. The rest is history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTN1

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Classic GTO's (1964-1974)