Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Scénic/Scénic RX4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
bb193
AF Newbie

Scenic starting problems

I am experiencing starting problems with my Renault Megane Scenic. Can you help?

It is an automatic, around 1998.

Intermittently, the car won’t start. You turn the key, and there is nothing – no click, no starter motor, nothing. This is not really like the immobiliser as that turns the engine over and then cuts out. It is more like it is not in Park or Neutral. I don’t think it is getting power through to the starter motor as the lights don’t dim when you try to start it.

Waggling the key doesn’t help. Waggling the gear lever doesn’t help. Locking and unlocking the car doesn’t help. The only way I can get it to start is to turn the key and hold it – for minutes if necessary. Often it will suddenly start. Sometimes that doesn’t help – it goes on for hours.

It seems to be vaguely heat related. It rarely happens when the car and engine is cold – or very hot (just stopped). It happens when you have been driving the car and then stop for half an hour, an hour or even two. It does it more in the Summer, and rarely/never does it in the Winter.

It did it rarely when we first got it. The garage put it on ‘the computer’ and found nothing – returning it as ‘Fault Not Found’. Winter came and the warranty ran out.

I have just had the starter motor checked, and they replaced the bushes. It still does it.

If you can offer any help, it is gratefully received.
bb193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
wullyb
AF Newbie

Re: Scenic starting problems

Have you checked that the engine earth strap is clean and secure?
wullyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
scott587646
AF Newbie

check all earths if there ok probably the starter
scott587646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
fenderfreek
AF Newbie

I have got a scenic with exactly the same simptoms.
(Engine will not turn, no clicking no nothing)
I have had the main earth strap replaced, but the problem still remains.
On average the car will not turn over twice in each month.
My local machanic says he cannot fix the problem until it shows itself
(which makes sence).
Please let me know if you get to the bottom of your fault as it is very
frustrating.
fenderfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
Ciscogaz
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Scenic starting problems

I have the same problem, it started one year ago when it refused to start once, but never happened again for weeks while now it is every morning, took the car to Toomey (laindon) who stated they needed to replace the started motor but the car could start if not from cold, so I rejected the £180 they wanted, plus they stated they needed to order a starter motor (renault dealler??). It is clearly a juice problem because it makes no noise when cold but always starts if driven in the past few hours, the AA tested the battery and it was fine. The only solution I have found that works is to park on a hill, my trust in renault is gone this is my third and last scenic.
Ciscogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
ANNEM
AF Newbie

i had this problem for ages turned out it was a loose screw on the earth wire from the gear box, now starts every time
ANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
brianvk
AF Newbie

[quote=bb193]I am experiencing starting problems with my Renault Megane Scenic. Can you help?

The symptoms described above exactly describe the problem I am having with my 2001 scenic. Can I check if bb193 ever resolved the problem?
brianvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
d.sleet
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Scenic starting problems

my scenic would,t start when i came back from holiday tried everything got told i would have to go back to renault and it would cost a fortune to fix had a look on another renault forum suggested i look at the fuel management relays in engine fuse box wiggled them both not had a problem since some bright spark at renault designed fuse box with a little play in fuses they can work themselves loose a bit and this messes the fuel management up hence wont start saved £200 by doing this.first place i would look in future
d.sleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
andrewpid
AF Newbie

iam also having same problem with my 98 scenic which is agreat car ,and have had battery, alternater testested,garages are looking at starter or ignition , but i will try loose relay fuses under the bonnet and another earth strap also diagnostic test will not show up the problem thanks for the help
andrewpid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
riyafath
AF Newbie

Question Re: Scenic starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpid View Post
iam also having same problem with my 98 scenic which is agreat car ,and have had battery, alternater testested,garages are looking at starter or ignition , but i will try loose relay fuses under the bonnet and another earth strap also diagnostic test will not show up the problem thanks for the help
I can see the topic is too old.

I am facing starting problem with my Scenic 2001 MPV. It won't start at first in the morning or after it has been parked for more than 7 hours. The cranking is there just the engine is not firing. After a lot of research I am going to perform the following repairs on my car and I hope this will work.

Most Renaults have a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor), some times these become contaminated with particles from the clutch and can stop them working. If possible remove and clean. Some times it can be very hard to get the sensor out, a trick that will some times work is, if you can see a hole in the bell housing near the CPS sensor try spraying carburettor cleaner onto the flywheel when cranking engine this will some times clean the sensor and vehicle will start. If still no luck may need new sensor.

I had difficulty to find this specific CPS, but found it after all. It is on the right side of the motor under the black big air filter box. To get to it, you have to separate the air box from the filter. Then you will see the Temperature Sensor on the right side. Under that there will be a set of cables. Move the cables away and under that carving below you will see the CPS.

First try would be to use the carburettor cleaner to clean the head of the CPS by spraying into the hole where flywheel is.
Second try will be to change the Temperature Sensor as my car starts fine in the winter but not in the summer.
Last of all change the CPS completely.

I hope this is what will make my car start smoothly. I will try to keep on posting on this situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crankshaft sensor.jpg (63.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg temperaturesensor.jpg (21.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg crankshaft.JPG (14.5 KB, 2 views)
riyafath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
AusRx4
AF Newbie

Do not change the Crank Angle sensor until you have removed it and cleaned it physically. Exactly the same way you mentioned, with carbie cleaner or better still electrical contact or circuit board spray cleaner.
I have cleaned the CAS in my 2001 Scenic Rx4 2 times and have not had any difficulty doing so. Renault must make a killing on this proceedure. The CAS are not cheap and I'd bet my car on the fact I think only 10% of them are CAS faults.
The second problem could be the connector. Renault actually changed the connectors a couple of times until they got it right. I have a friend with a 225 Megane turbo that had the same problem and they did the CAS and connector change and no problems so far after a few months. His got progressivly worse until he couldn't start it at all.
Do an ebay search for CAS and you'll see the different types for Renaults available in the UK these days and i think some ads even mention the later connectors.
good luck,
Chris
(Australia)
AusRx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #12
riyafath
AF Newbie

I am happy that the worse things did not happen. The water holder for the radiator was empty. It was my fault that I did not pay any notice to that before. After I have filled up the tank the engine is now starting smoothly. I guess as the sensor detected no water in the holder it prevented the engine from starting. There are certain things I am considering now..

1. Why the indiator did not show up that the water was empty?
2. How come the water holder is totally empty?
3. I am regularly checking the holder now to see if there is any leak and the water holder is holding the correct amount of water.

AusRx4 is right about the connector. They are not available. So if anyone wants to change, he has to buy the connector also and the wires from the connector needed to be added manually (That requires professionals.).
riyafath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
AusRx4
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyafath View Post
and the wires from the connector needed to be added manually (That requires professionals.).
No, you just need a good soldering iron, some connectors and insulators, easy job
AusRx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
rem7
AF Newbie

I have a Scenic 1998 with an infrared key. About 1 month ago we had to change the coils so the car was going no problem. About a week ago the car started to struggle firing after a short trip, then few days ago left me in the street as it stopped while running and could not get it firing again. Fuel pump goes ok I can hear it, immobilizer OK as the key turns it on and off no problem, we checked the power, everywhere power excepting on injectors and to the plugs (there is power only for few seconds on them as well) same as the immobilizer would do, although the light shows its working correctly. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I also looked on the sensor attached with two bolts on left side of engine, was clean without any problems. If anyone knows what to check further or any idea of what it could be, let me know, thank you.
rem7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Scénic/Scénic RX4