Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
waltham41
AF Regular

1998 T&C battery light on not charging

The battery light came on, alt not charging. I have taken it off twice and had it checked, both times I had it checked it showed good, when I put it back on it charged for a bit and then the light came back on and it showed no charging at the battery. Second time the place checked it they ran the check cycle 4 times in a row to see if it had a problem when the electronics started warming up... still showed all green.

I thought perhaps the wires going to the alt, so I had the wife start the van up and I moved the wires around going to the alt to see if it made the batt light flicker, no joy. (real fun getting your hand back there while the van is running)

The large wire shows batt voltage where it hooks on to the alt, running or not...... the two prong plug that goes into the alt shows no voltage unhooked with the key on, and no voltage plugged in with the key on or running.

I have been told there is a control unit that controls the output of the alternator.

I have checked every fuse in the fusebox under the dash and in the engine compartment.

Fuseable link on big wire going to the alt should be good as I do get battery voltage to the alt from the battery, correct?

Any suggestions?
waltham41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
bjaymo3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bjaymo3
Unhappy Re: 1998 T&C battery light on not charging

Well, OF COURSE NOBODY ANSWERED YOU! Because I need an answer to the same question and your question is the only place I've found with the same freakin' problem.

AF is getting so out-dated. I used to find answers here all the time until about a year or so ago where it seems like nobody is posting or reading anymore.

I hope YOU got the problem figured out. Meanwhile, I'm going to search some other sites.

Thanks for posting it and trying to get an answer for us.
bjaymo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
waltham41
AF Regular

Re: 1998 T&C battery light on not charging

Man this is a blast from the past.... I ended up going to a pay site where you can ask master mechanics a question for a small fee, was told no matter that they were telling me alternator was good, to change it. He was right, new alternator its been running fine since.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
RIP
AF -Advisor

Sounds like a familiar scenario over the years. Charge system testing is far from conclusive. Thanks for posting your fix.

BTW - You can save some bucks and rebuild your alternator using a kit instead of replacing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CImyX5KuGvQ

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
waltham41
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Sounds like a familiar scenario over the years. Charge system testing is far from conclusive. Thanks for posting your fix.
No problem, hope it helps someone else.... I took the alternator to two different parts stores and they both pronounced it good.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Rookie#1
AF Newbie

I had the same problem. If you check with your car parts stores you will find their alt testers are good for checking bearing noise but the testers are no good if they don't run a load test. If the alt can't generate a load current they are no good.
Rookie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
waltham41
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie#1 View Post
I had the same problem. If you check with your car parts stores you will find their alt testers are good for checking bearing noise but the testers are no good if they don't run a load test. If the alt can't generate a load current they are no good.
That's true, found it out the hard way LOL Like I said, changed the alternator and all was good. Of course since then, my daughter totaled the van so...........

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager