Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
GloriaH
AF Newbie

4604/41te Transmission

I have a 96 Caravan. The transmission stopped working. I need to know the location of the ground strap so I can check it. Also should I check the wire splice from the Solenoid and the TCM/EATX. Thanks
GloriaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 4604/41te Transmission

Ground strap should be located on a trans bolt in the starter area.

Can you give us a description of what tranny is doing or not doing. Is check engine light on? IF so check for codes by using the key dance method; on/off, on/off, on without starting engine.

Is battery in good shape? Battery terminals and cable ends shiney clean.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
RIP
AF -Advisor

The wire splice question has popped up several times and no one seems to be willing to say. SOMEBODY PROVE ME WRONG.

If you don't get your answer try pulling the harness apart starting at the TCM and follow it to the splice.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
GloriaH
AF Newbie

Driving along, turning a corner then bang, trans stopped working. I have no gears. Starts fine, put in gear, rev it up and the trans makes a slight knock. The code says... shorted or open condition detected in one or more of the idle air controll motor circuts. I thought I would start with the splice and strap before thinking about a new transmission. If I find the splice I will make darn sure I post it here...Gloria
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
wafrederick
Banned

Do not get a reman from Chrysler and I heard about it lately.Chrysler puts on a chincy paint job on their remans with dirt on the case.Probally ful of dirt inside too.Their warranty is a 3 year,80,000 mile warranty.Jasper is cheaper than a Chrysler reman and has a better warranty,3 year 100,000 mile warranty and it is nationwide.It sounds like the beginings of the spider gear pin coming out and will ruin the case if not caught in time.This is a common problem too.Jasper fixed this by welding the ends of the spider gear pin to the final drive case
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
twistedtech
AF Regular

I would think the pump shaft sheared and it has granaded. i have 2 laying on the shop floor, same symptom. Did you ever hear a whine?

Even at a Mensa convention,
Someone's the dumbest person in the room.
twistedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
GloriaH
AF Newbie

We can't seem to find the ground strap. Where can we find a good manual on how to rebuild this transmission. We can't afford to have it replaced and need to do it ourselves.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
GloriaH
AF Newbie

The battery is not in good shape. We are charging it now. What concerns us is the fact that it made a bang before it stopped working. We are going to start with the easy stuff first. I just ordered a book by Cliff McCormick called Chrysler 41te/A604, Rebuild Procedures. Hope it helps. Still can't find the ground strap.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

You could make a new ground putting end of wire onto a transmission mount bolt by the starter area and attach other end to firewall.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
GloriaH
AF Newbie

Will try that in the morning.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaH
Driving along, turning a corner then bang, trans stopped working. I have no gears. Starts fine, put in gear, rev it up and the trans makes a slight knock. The code says... shorted or open condition detected in one or more of the idle air controll motor circuts. I thought I would start with the splice and strap before thinking about a new transmission. If I find the splice I will make darn sure I post it here...Gloria
Your idle air control motor/valve code has nothing to do with the tranny. It has everything to do with a stalling engine. Are you sure you're not having an engine stall issue instead of a tranny issue? When you take your foot off the accelerator to slow down at a corner, the IAC maintains the engine idle speed. You said it then started fine. That tells me the engine stalled. The code indicates the IAC may have failed causing the stall. Just want to make sure.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Take a look at this thread, it has a picture of ground wire for transmission:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=887787

Something I would try before removing trans if you have not already removed trans is disconnect the return transmission fluid line at the trans cooler, insert line into a bucket and have someone start engine and put in drive to see if the oil pump is working or shaft has broken like twistedtech suggested.

Also if and when you overhaul transmission be sure to install a rebuilt or new torque convertor, new lines to trans cooler and flush transmission cooler in radiator to rid system of all contaminetes. Installing a new trans cooler and bypassing old cooler would also work.

Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
4breezes
AF Newbie

The picture I posted in my thread shows the ground wire. Apparently it is a wire rather than a ground strap. I'm not sure, however, that a broken ground wire would make your transmission quit. My Caravan still runs and moves without that ground being connected. At worst it goes into "limp-home" mode, ie no higher than 2nd gear.

That ground wire is located near the front driver's side corner of the car. Its in front of the engine/transmission, underneith the starter, about in line with where the engine and transmission meet. Hope that helps you find it, and that a bad ground might solve your problems.

The previous poster gave you a link to the picture.
4breezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
HeadlessHorseman1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick
Do not get a reman from Chrysler and I heard about it lately.Chrysler puts on a chincy paint job on their remans with dirt on the case.Probally ful of dirt inside too.Their warranty is a 3 year,80,000 mile warranty.Jasper is cheaper than a Chrysler reman and has a better warranty,3 year 100,000 mile warranty and it is nationwide.It sounds like the beginings of the spider gear pin coming out and will ruin the case if not caught in time.This is a common problem too.Jasper fixed this by welding the ends of the spider gear pin to the final drive case
How much did you pay for a Jasper tranny? Thanks.
HeadlessHorseman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
GloriaH
AF Newbie

I found a ground strap attached to the firewall but the other end was attached to nothing. Can't find a ground attached to the Trans bolt. Could this be it?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager