Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #46
roadrage69
AF Newbie

Re: Interior Lighting Mods

Cig plugs are not the problem in the car, the problem is the cheap end on the neons that go into the cig plug adaptor. Plus it is a road hazzard.
  • Some do come with fuses,. problem is that people who are installing these via cig. plug are not usually experienced installers and do not properally connect the wires with shrink tubing - if at best they use electrical tape - ( I have seen it all) 18ga wire with elecrical tape is not an easy task to do btw.
  • The cool thing is that when the fuse pops inside because of crossed wires., - either the fuse pops inside the cig plug (if it isfused) - I get a repair- The other situation is ending up with a different kind of problem. - fire. or electrical damage., ( as you stated the car has a big enough AMP FUSE., thats not the problem., the problem is on the otherside of the fuse.. where the neons that are only rated at 3A are... They will eventually give if improper or crossed wiring then will cook the transformer.. that is incased in plastic., which is flammable... and can cause damage.. I have seen this happen. -
  • The other situation with cig plug adaptors for neon/led installs into your cig plug is ( where are the wires going?) - Answer In your lap, under your legs, wrapped up and tangled under your dash, console and seat? - That does not make a safe driving condition. Its bad enough people are driving around blabbing on their cell phones.
  • Best way is to hook up directly to car battery. or into aux fuse panel.. ( i still think using the Remote Control is the coolest..) - forget about running loads of wires everywhere., simple two wire install thats basically invisible....(and properly fused)
roadrage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #47
TRDboi
AF Regular

http://www.autolumination.com for LEDs and
http://www.oznium.com for cold cathodes!
TRDboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #48
number50
AF Newbie

I've got a black interior in my car. I bought a pair of 9" blue neon tubes. I am really satisfied with them though. 9" are easily bright enough. I will put up pics in a couple days. I have only installed one under the driver side dash, and one above the driver just at the edge of the visor. I will post pics to show.
Another thing you should try is putting new speaker grills on the front door speakers or on the rear deck, I have sound activated 6" neons right behind the grills on my 6x9" speakers. Its amazing seeing them pulse to the music. I've also got the blue series underglow kit from streetglow.
I have just ordered another pair to match on the other side and I will be soon putting LED's in the vents..... the one thing that I'm concerned with is the light in the vents. will it be too hot for neons? will leds not disperse the light well enough ( I want light out the whole vent). I'm also going to be putting small 4 inch neons behind the door handle. Everyone is worried about neons/led being in the way when they are behind the handle, or having wires in the way. What I was planning on doing is putting a small 1" x 4" cutout behind the handle in the door panel. Than mount a small piece of glass, plexiglass (anything clear really). And putting the neon behind it. No interfering objects.... no showing wires.
ARE YOU ACTUALLY UNABLE TO PUT NEONS IN THE VENTS?

that was going to be my first option but people here say they will not work?

Last edited by number50; 03-10-2008 at 06:49 PM.
number50 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General