Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
cobra281
AF Newbie

Painting help!

I would first like to mention that this isnt a question for a model but something for my real car....

Im trying to paint the Cobra emblems on my car and i wanted to know the best possible way to do it. and the best people to ask are ones that do models since its small and has lots of details.

this is what im painting.

My idea is to paint the black part white and the silve part black.

so if anyone can let me know some tips or trick of the trade i would very much appreciate it!

Thanks

Chris
cobra281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
CFarias
AF Regular

Re: Painting help!

Clean the part throughouly and apply a coat of "self-etching" primer. Then paint the entire part in automotive grade gloss black paint. Let it set for a while to ensure the part is very dry. Next find some water-based acrylic flat white. Dip a very fine round brush into the white and then into the recesses of the part. The white paint should flow into the recess giving you the white on black appearance. If you mess up a little with the application of the white you can clean it up with a q-tip dipped in alcohol -- it will not harm the black basecoat underneath.

If you mess up the whole thing leave it in SuperClean degreaser (available at auto parts stores) for a few days and it should be clean enough to start over.
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Welcome to AF!

Any way you do it, you're looking alot of tedious, painstaking work.

Painting white over black may not work well at all. White can be rather transparent, and it may take many applications for it to look solid. Done this way it would likely have a handpainted look to it.

Another way is to prime it as suggested, and paint it white. Each and every low spot could then be masked with a liquid masking solution, and once it's dry spray the whole think black. Then the masking can be peeled up, revealing the white underneath. But it would be a monstrous amount of effort.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
cobra281
AF Newbie

wow guys thanks for the welcome and the help!!! im going to try these methods! what is this liquid masking stuff and where can i get it?

I also had an idea of painting it white like suggested then doing the black areas with a paint marker? would this leave a good finish or be a good idea? I do plan on clearing the whole thing once completed.

Thank you again for all the help!!!
cobra281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

This sort of stuff. If you search on 'liquid mask' or 'liquid masking film', you'll get a number of different options.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General