Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
gvsuinnc
AF Newbie

Question Help with replacing speakers 1999 GT

Could someone point me in the right direction with replacing the OEM speakers out of my 1999 GT. How do you remove the grills on the rear deck to get at the speakers and how do you remove the front door panels? This was easier on my 98 Dakota, but this vehicle has me at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
gvsuinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #2
Ripn12s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Ripn12s
Front doors

Remove the 2 bolts under the door handle. Carefully pry up power window/lock trim panel and disconnect switches. Pull the door panel off.

Back panel

Sorry cant help to much there. I think you're going to need to remove back seats to access the panel.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
gvsuinnc
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Speaker help

Thanks for the info on the front doors, those speakers are in.

Does anyone have information on replacing the rear speakers?

Thanks
gvsuinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
GTX Playa
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to GTX Playa
Re: Speaker help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsuinnc
Does anyone have information on replacing the rear speakers?

Thanks
You do have to remove the back seat to access the rear speakers.

The lower portion simply removes by pulling two rings located at the bottom front.

The back portion bolts in near the seat belt fasteners.

Finally, the carpeted rear deck must be slid out to access the speakers.

While you have it out, I would suggest you take a moment to clean the little area of class in front of the 3rd light.

Re-assemble by reversing the following steps.
GTX Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
scottyp
AF Newbie

Question How did it go????

Hey gvsuinnc,
I am just about ready to dig into this myself, I just bought a 99 GP and one of the rear speakers is blown. Just wondering how it went for you?
Did you run into much trouble?
Thanks
scottyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
kvsdude
AF Newbie

I actually also have a 99 gp gt and decided to replace the rear speakers when the left rear blew

i didn't know about the whole moving the seat thing and did it the hard way, with muscle, frustration, and patience

I spent about 2-3 hours trying to pry and rip off the grills. Then I inserted the new pioneer 6x9's through the trunk. (I'm 6 foot three - if i can do it, most people can) Just bolted them in with new grills and snapped on the wire from the trunk

just letting you know anything's possible
kvsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
billybob403
AF Newbie

Re: Help with replacing speakers 1999 GT

I just did this yesterday. process is exactly as stated. While pulling gently on the rings that are just below the front edge of the back seat, lift the front edge of the rear seat. One the bottom of the seat is out, there will be qty (2) 18mm nuts that retain the seat belts that must be removed. Then there are qty (2) 9 or 10mm nuts that are retaining the bottom of the rear upper seat. Once those nuts are removed, start at the outer ends of the rear upper, pull forward and upward, the two ends will release easier than the center. For the center, wiggle/push in pull up etc. At least with the center two hooks, you can see them from the trunk. Once the entire back seat is out, you will be able to see the retainers that are holding the rear deck carpeting and speaker grilles in place. There are qty (2) they are like the nylon push pieces that hold door panels on but larger in diameter.
You will have to lift up and pull forward at one end or the other and rotate out. Set the carpet aside.

A regular philips screwdriver will easily remove the (2) forward most screws. For the rear most screws, I used a philips bit that you would chuck into a cordless drill and a 1/4" open end wrench. Because I wanted to keep the speaker risers, and because my Rockford Fosgate 6x9's would not exactly fit into the plastic risers, I had to use a dremel tool and clean off the small lip around the primeter of the opening.
Assembly is the reverse of removal. You will want to make sure that when you put the carpet deck back in that it correctly fits under the trim at the outer sides, put in the nylon retainers, hang the rear upper seat, put the seat belts back in place. The 18mm socket size nuts are to be tightened to 38-46Nm. (I did this little project because my right rear seat belt buckle had to be replaced - and the torque was listed in the drawing that came with the lap belts). BE SURE NOT TO STEP ON AND BUST OFF THE LITTLE RINGS THAT ARE USED TO REMOVE THE LOWER SEAT CUSHION. My 6 yr old graciously removed one of them for me. In case your rings are not present for the removal of the bottom cushion, when you gently lift the bottom cushion, there is a small tab that can be seen in the center of the tab that sticks into the floor, just pull it slightly forward while continuing to pull upward on the seat. In case you did not remember to notice how the seat belts were laid out prior to removing them, they both go towards the center of the car. Hope this helps.
billybob403 is offline   Reply With Quote