Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
mpit91
AF Newbie

Replacing LIM Gasket TIPS

I have a 2001 grand am, 111,000 miles, 3.4L v6. A few questions here.

1. Does the haynes manual (or other) have instructions on how to DIY replace LIM gasket?

2. What is the difference between lower intake manifold gasket and the head gasket?

3. What are some inportant tips i should know before doing this? I realize that this project requires ALOT of time (not a problem) and alot of careful inspection and precision (also not a problem)

I have been to the fel pro website for a replacement gasket set, but not sure what one to purchase. These 3400 SFI engines all have problems with their LIM gaskets so i am sure there is someone who can give some great advice. Share the knowlegde please, it will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
mpit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Replacing LIM Gasket TIPS

according to your question number #2 I suggest that you leave this to a pro.
Not saying that you can't do it but there is so much involved in this and one small mistake can cost you even more.

this is a 6h job for pros. yes it can be done much faster but that is how you are going to be charged.

Last edited by 3100; 02-07-2010 at 12:02 PM.
3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Playamade
AF Newbie

The head gasket is gasket in between the engine block and the heads. The LIM gaskets are between the intake manifold and heads - block. The job isnt tooo bad haynes repair manual has few pics of little writing of how to do it.
Playamade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
skeeter123
AF Regular

It shouldn't be too hard to find a good mechanic who's done many of these LIM gasket jobs. Probably ~$700 - $800. If it's your spare or hobby car, or you can stand the down-time, have at it.
Check out BNaylor's post :
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=688030

and

http://d-tips.com/General/Articles/a...sket/art10.art
skeeter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skeeter123 For This Useful Post:
wyodan59 (01-31-2012)
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
JamesEricAndrew
AF Newbie

Pretty easy job. the only thing you have to watch out for is that you have to take the rods and rocker arms off to change the gasket. Get a box( I used a usps large priority mail flat rate box) and punch 12 holes in them to place the rods as you take them out. Put them in in the exact order as they are different sizes for the exhaust and intake valves. I also made sure to put each rocker arm in a separate, labeled ziplock bag. I labeled each one for the cylinder number and whether it was the right hand or left hand one looking from the front of the vehicle.

Also, where the lower intake manifold meets the engine block(not the heads) there is not a "Gasket" per se, A mechanic friend of mine said instead of getting a gasket, or a gasket making kit, to use a LOT of RTV black sillicone sealant otherwise you WILL get oil leaks on the left and right hand sides of your motor.

I just completely replaced a motor in a GA and replaced all of the gaskets and seals so if you have any other questions just post and you can get through it. However, if you were serious about your question about the difference between the head gasket and the LIM gasket, take it to a pro.
JamesEricAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
wyodan59
AF Regular

skeeter123 posted this link. Great information!! made my life easy. Thanks
wyodan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
gasket , intake , manifold , replace
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM