Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
91lincoln
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to 91lincoln
'94 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3800 3.8L - Questions

I just bought this van. Actually , I traded in a piece of crap Lincoln Town Car for it.

Seems to drive ok , but I have a bad feeling my over drive is out as when I'm on i-44 going 60MPH I can hear humming. I just got a bad feelings it's the transmission. I can even hear faint humming going 45 MPH.

Also another issue it has is occasionally will stall out. Not like my lincolns issue but stalls. I can be driving down the road , 40 MPH , even 25 MPH. If I let up off the accelerator too quickly it'll stall out. However I found a little trick to catching it before it stalls , my oil gauge will start to drop , if I can catch it before it hits the bottom by quickly tapping on the accelerator and then releasing it won't stall.

I can give additional information if needed. I've been trying to look at other options such as finding a used transmission but there are 2 different types for my van and I'm not mechanically inclined. I can drive em but can't fix em lol.

Maybe this'll help: VIN 1GMDU06L8RT213230

Overall besides the above issues I think it's a fairly good van. Heat works , air works , power sliding door still works. 202xxx miles though. If more info is needed or anyone knows where I can find a cheap but good transmission give me a reply. Traded in the lincoln to make an 800 mile drive , but with the humming noises @ 60 MPH I'm sceptical.
91lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Re: '94 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3800 3.8L - Questions

The humming noise is most likely a wheel hub assembly thats most likely going bad...

The stalling could be several different things...

But there is a possibility that you could have a Vacuum leak, or the MAF sensor could be dirty or bad...

s the check engine light on?
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
91lincoln
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800 View Post
The humming noise is most likely a wheel hub assembly thats most likely going bad...

The stalling could be several different things...

But there is a possibility that you could have a Vacuum leak, or the MAF sensor could be dirty or bad...

s the check engine light on?
Yep check engine and Brake light both on. However during a left turn the brake light will sometimes dissapear but come back driving straight.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

You will need to have the codes read to see what exactly is happening..

Is the ABS light on with the Brake light?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
91lincoln
AF Newbie

Quote:
You will need to have the codes read to see what exactly is happening..

Is the ABS light on with the Brake light?
No , just the brake and engine light.

edit: was curious though , do you not think the tranny is going bad or whatever?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

I think the hum you are describing sounds a lot like a hub assembly when it starts to go bad.. The bearings in one of the front hubs may be shot, but you have to replace the whole hub assembly.. But you'll need to figure out which one it is...

Does the hum change tone as you turn left or right shifting the weight of the van around?

Does the ABS light come on when you turn the ignition on?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
91lincoln
AF Newbie

Quote:
I think the hum you are describing sounds a lot like a hub assembly when it starts to go bad.. The bearings in one of the front hubs may be shot, but you have to replace the whole hub assembly.. But you'll need to figure out which one it is...

Does the hum change tone as you turn left or right shifting the weight of the van around?

Does the ABS light come on when you turn the ignition on?
no change in tone of hum as i can tell .. the abs light i'll check out in a bit after i get off work
Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
91lincoln
AF Newbie

Hey jrs ..

With ignition switched to on , not starting the engine , the ABS light comes on for about 3 1/2 seconds close to 4 seconds.

Not really sure if the hum changes tones during turning right/left I don't have 30% of my hearing either though , but it might , just might be a little louder hum when turning to the left.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

I had a bad Passenger side hub on mine that cause some humming noises... And I had an ABS and Brake light on together... I replaced the hub, that cured the humming and the ABS light went out...lol... Personally I like to check the hubs off the car... Any discoloration like a bluish tint, or roughness when you turn the hub means its shot... I know my drivers side hub is not so good..

If the AB light goes out, then the ABS system is functional... You need to check the Brake Fluid Res making sure its full and or the level sensor... Also you may have an issue with the parking brake...
Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
91lincoln
AF Newbie

Quote:
I had a bad Passenger side hub on mine that cause some humming noises... And I had an ABS and Brake light on together... I replaced the hub, that cured the humming and the ABS light went out...lol... Personally I like to check the hubs off the car... Any discoloration like a bluish tint, or roughness when you turn the hub means its shot... I know my drivers side hub is not so good..

If the AB light goes out, then the ABS system is functional... You need to check the Brake Fluid Res making sure its full and or the level sensor... Also you may have an issue with the parking brake...
K. I'll see if autozone won't read my check engine codes for me and see what that says. I'm hoping it's good enough to make an 800 mile trip. The stalling doesn't bother me right now , that can always be dealth with by slapping it into neutral and restarting it.

Thanks again and I'll follow up Tuesday with any error codes.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
91lincoln
AF Newbie

JRS , 1 more new issue I think might be related to your wheel hub assembly therory lol .. Was coming home from wally world , and in my lil town no one drives at night hardly lol , so I was able to hear faint tapping or knocking or something along that line when pressing on the brakes coming to a stop at a light.

Maybe it's related and if so maybe you're right on the money with the wheel hub assembly therory

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
pontiac , stalls
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport