Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
t-bank
AF Newbie

Cool 03 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 quad cab that just nosed over 70K miles earlier this year (wouldn't you know it, just beyond the 70K mile powertrain warranty!). Within the past few weeks I've noticed what I would call a slip when the tranny was cold dowshifting from second to first gear. This week the transmission seemed to "slip" when I started to back out of the driveway in the morning. Tonight we were out for dinner and when I backed out of the restaraunt parking lot (the tranny was definitely warm) it slipped and notiecabley jerked when shifting from reverse to forward. A couple of miles down the road I had to pull off the road for a brief moment and when I attempted to shift from park to drive, the shift indicator wasn't visible and the truck refused to shift into any gear. I put it back in park, shut it off and started it back up. The tranny indicator illuminated agian and the tranny shifted back into gear without a problem. There were no indicator lights or codes.
The fluid and filters (yes, there's 2 of them) were all changed about 25K miles ago and the fluid smells and looks OK.
Anyone have any ideas before I start tearing things apart? Speed sensors, solenoids, plugged filters, etc.? I'll probably start with another fluid and filter change (can't hurt right?) and just go from there.

Thanks for any help and advice.

T-bank
t-bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
jrsick
AF Newbie

Re: 03 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem

My rec is that you take it to a tranny shop and get a tune up. I know you're looking to do something yourself, but either you know trannies or you don't. Tranny maintenance now my head off future problems and if the tranny is a goner then at least you can get it fixed on your sked. If the tranny fails while driving it's a huge PITA and you have to tow it to the nearest shop that can take you. For what it's worth, your symptoms sound like mine about 1 week before I had a tranny failure. Changing the fluid and filter didn't help and I wish I'd spent that money on a tranny tune up. good luck.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
muzzleman
AF Newbie

my truck (02) at approx. 95km had a similar problem. the truck would seem to slip into neutral when starting off. i use it for construction ( pulling a cargo trailer daily ).it has a 4.7 liter. the dealer replaced some sensor in the tranny and its been working fine 20km later. not sure of the cost as it was covered under warranty (100km powertrain)
muzzleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
sneakybert
AF Newbie

I am assuming this truck has a 45fre transmission because you say it has two filters . The first thing I would do is get it scaned for trouble codes at the dealer . Probably a failed input or output speed sensor .
sneakybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
gnarlykaw
AF Newbie

TSB number, 18-013-04 pertains to slips, poor shifts, ECT........
mine lost OD, and It needed a PCM, and harness due to corrosion
gnarlykaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
matth320
AF Newbie

i also have on 03 ram, im at almost 63k miles, after 36k (right after the waranty) i had to have replaced 3 sensors, 2 in the tranny and the o2 sensor. just about 2k miles ago i had to have the entire instrument panel replaced becasue the wires were corroded, i had no panel no brake lights and no headlights, most of the electical was gone. m best advice is to not buy another Dodge, its beennothing but trouble since i've got it and the only good thing is that i put flowmater 40 series on it and it sounds awesome, other than that its a piece.
matth320 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10