Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Im3good4u
AF Regular

I just bought a RAM 1500...What oil???

Hey guys i recently sold my firebird and now I have a 2004 RAM 1500 Hemi (QUAD CAB) I will post pictures soon. This car has alot of extras..I love it.

The question is what oil am I suppose to put in it. I don't know what the previous owner put because I bought it at a dealer. But it has 47K miles, I want to keep this car for a while so I'm probably going to switch to synthetic, even if synthetic makes only a small difference i want to put the best. So pretty much i want to know what viscosity you recommend and pros and cons of going to synthetic. Remember i dont know if they used synthetic or not.

Sold 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi W/ K&N Air Filter, Superchips Tuner.

Sold 1994 Firebird Formula W/ Hooker Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Ram Air, Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Quiters don't win, Winners don't Quit.
Im3good4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
crazys182003
AF Regular

Re: I just bought a RAM 1500...What oil???

When I bought ym ram 2 years ago at a used dealer the first time I changed the oil I switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic. Not sure what previous owner used or anything but that is what I will run full time. As far as the viscosity it really depends on your area and all as to what you can and should use. I'm in PA and run 10W30. I think in some parts of canad not too sure but some parts people tend to run 0W30 or 5W30 just due to the different temperatures and all. But most of the time you are pretty safe running 10W30 in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Never buy a newer vehicle without service records. I won't be making that mistake again.

It should be okay to run pretty much whatever you want, but that's just what I think. I'd put diesel oil in it myself. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
jrsick
AF Newbie

There's about 100 different opinions on oil, all are equal but I"ll give you one you probably won't hear again. I use 5w30 synthetic from wallyworld and a fram filter. Complete oil/filter change with synthetic for $20. What we don't know is who makes the wallyworld oil. They buy it via contract and the manufacturer changes but in the past it's been quaker state and pennsoil. It's distributed by Warren Industries but not made by them. Oil is one of the most regulated industries in this country, you can't buy bad oil. Save yourself some money, you may be buying mobil 1 at half price.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10