Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
yellowfiero
AF Regular

Question '95 Transport 3.8 Finally Stranded me!!!

Been on a roll for a while, but Sunday, my tank was getting low, so I stopped, filled it up. It wouldn't start again!!!

Tow truck driver had me crank and hit the fuel tank with a 4x4 piece of wood to see if the fuel pump was stuck or something - nogo. Next morning, she started right up again. I drove it today for a while, and after about an hour got back in and it wouldn't start again! It would sputter and die. I turned the key on and listened intently, and I could not hear the fuel pump buzz like I normally do. Finally after a few more tries, it started up again. Then with the previous test, I heard the buzz as normal, and now it seems to be fine.

Is this an indication of a fuel pump going bad? It was replaced just under 2 years ago. My '94 transport went 200K miles+ with no fuel pump issues!

Just for fun, once I got it running, I disconnected the fuel pump relay and it didn't stall - so I don't think the oil switch is bad. In fact, I could start the car at will without the relay attached (is that normal?). With the relay out though, I didn't hear the 'buzz' when the key went to the on position.

Any other suggestions as to what to look for? I commute a lot and I don't really trust this thing (murphy's law) so any help would be appreciated.
yellowfiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
nicke66
AF Regular

Re: It could be something else..

..than the fuel pump. I think if there is no ignition, the fuel pump does not start. The crank or the camshaft sensor could stop working when getting hot and make the car not restart after a short brake. I think LMP has made a post about this. And, as ever when having problem, check it for codes...
nicke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
kimbaa
AF Newbie

Re: '95 Transport 3.8 Finally Stranded me!!!

I had a similar situation with my 94 trans port- pulled into a gas station, and it died. Nothing.Wouldn't turn over.. nothing. No click.
had it towed to a garage...next morning I picked it up and it worked fine, they didn't even touch it.
Continued on my journey, and sure enough...it happened again.
Turned out it was the connection to the TTC solenoid. ( I had replaced the solenoid the previous summer) The plug had worked its way loose.
Just a thought...

Kimba
kimbaa is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport