Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #46
R.W.240
Banned

Re: Re: 240sx with small block v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
you pull stupid random facts out of your ass and your argument changes all the time and you avoid topics like shit. maybe you should retake high school debate class. you obviously showed up coked out every day.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:31 AM   #47
LT1-Power
Banned

the LS-1 is a new engine, completely new. The technology used to modify other engines and learn about head design and camshaft selection was what came into the LS-1. First they had the LT-5 engine, a DOHC 5.7 making 400+hp back in 1990. Disputed to be the fastest corvette until the new LS7 z06 arrives. This spawned off a whole new research and devolpment for GM. They designed the LT-1 engine, the waterpump is driven off the camshaft, as is the distributor, called the opti-spark. Normal chevy distributors are on the upper rear manifold by the firewall, the LT-1 has it on the front side of the engine. This makes the camshaft for a LT-1 special. It has pins on it to drive the front accesories and a gear for the water pump. One can switch to the Northstar 4 coil setup and get rid of the optispark. If you run an electric water pump you can resort to using any Chevy small block cam from 1955-1997. The opti-spark is not the greatest of ignition systems and requires some maintenance work. This is the one quirk I see with LT-1 engines, every engine has atleast one though. Another design improvement was the reverse head coolant flow. Traditionally, engines were run with the coolant going into the block first and then into the heads. The LT-1 series engines had the coolant come in from the top end and work its way down. This improved the cooling effect on the combustion chambers and allows for low octane fuel being used on higher compression ratios then your average engine works on. The valvetrain is also a full roller hydraulic setup. Since the cooling flow is reversed, the LT-1 heads have different cooling passages and make them incompatable with any other chevy head. The intake manifold has its bolt holes moved because of this and also makes the intake manifold a LT-1 only part. The heads have a D-port shape to them on the exhaust port and proper headers for a LT-1 are also made specifically for that engine, regular sbc headers would physically work but they would restrict the exhast port from being mis-matched. Besides that, the bottom end is standard small block chevy old school design. Where as the LS-1 uses its own heads, headers, intake manifold, rods, pistons, crank, camshaft....... it pretty much works on the same principle as the standard SBC its just been redone from a totally different perspective.

To test out some new airflow numbers on a 350, GM introduced a special edition LT-1 based engine called the LT-4. It was rated at 330hp and the redline was 6500-7000 I believe, somewhere through there. The LT-4 was used in Corvette Grand Sport models(Gran Turismo people will recognize this name) and some have been put in WS6's. You can identify them by the stock red anodized and polished aluminum intake manifold. The Heads and Intake manifold are not interchangeable with the LT-1. You can convert a LT-1 into a LT-4 but you need to use the LT-4 heads and intake manifold together. The LT-4 is a more peaky higher revving LT-1 with different style heads and intake manifold. These are a pretty cool thing to some people who can afford the conversion and want a little more factory performance. The evolutions along this process is what brought GM to make another better design in a different way. The LS-1 is really a different moster on the top end. The Intake ports are way different, the exhaust ports are now spaced out evenly like a Big Block chevy or a Ford v8. The igntion system now resides on top of the new smaller different shaped ls-1 valve covers instead of down by the exhaust ports on the side of the head, which is nicer on wires when running headers or doing a tune-up.

so yes the LS-1 has been in design for 50 years and has compltely different parts then the first chevy small block, yet it functions in the same manner as the most popular engine in the world. Making it reliable, easy to work on, and awesome at making more power
Old 09-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #48
R.W.240
Banned

One long ass post with all the info that I read in Road and Track a while ago.

No Care
Old 09-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #49
lost180
AF Regular

Re: 240sx with small block v8?

that was some good info.

but I don't drive a vette, so I don't care. Find me some specs on an SR20 or a KA24 since your good at finding stuff on the interweb.

Cops are just jealous of my big, fat di... um.... spoiler!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #50
Indycarlover
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the good info.
The LT1 and LS1's are good durable engines no doubt!

I know I enjoyed my 350 in my 240!
Indianapolis Indiana
Drive: 86 Porsche 944 & 90 300 ZX
Old 09-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #51
LT1-Power
Banned

I don't think road and track would do into that depth about the engines.

No I didn't find that information, that is stuff I've known for years.

also the LT-1's are god damn durable. THey are used a lot in police cars and taxi cabs, it is the normal for a LT-1 to last past 300,000 miles and still put out power. As long as your not revving the piss out of it and taking it up to redline and past all the time they will last a real long time. Even still I've seen them take 150k miles of abuse and still keep pulling like a tug boat. perhaps what I love most about v8 engines is all the torque and throttle respone of these new generation fuel injected v8's, they cruise around great and can move around pretty good without wringing the piss out of the motor.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #52
monooxide
Banned

Send a message via AIM to monooxide Send a message via MSN to monooxide
If theres...

If there was any V8 engine that i would own it would be a WS8...an extremely bad ass engine.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #53
drftk1d
boost in, apex seals out

Send a message via AIM to drftk1d

why do you guys hate the LS/LT series so much?

its not like sr20det/lt1-power is forcing yall to throw away your 4 bangers for a v8. why are you guys acting so closed-minded?

i mean sure the pushrods are outdated, but they are known to put down loads of power. my main concern is: is it more cost effective to throw a v8 into a 240sx vs a sr20 or ka turbo?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #54
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

We Don't Give A Shit About Them Because They Aren't In Our Cars And Shouldn't Be In There!!!!!

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
Old 09-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #55
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
They designed the LT-1 engine, the waterpump is driven off the camshaft, as is the distributor, called the opti-spark.
oooo opti-spark. doesnt every honda have this?
and most FWD imports have the WP off the cam also?

Quote:
This makes the camshaft for a LT-1 special. It has pins on it to drive the front accesories and a gear for the water pump.
ROFL its called a cam gear you mean? ahahah honda ricers all know about this already!

Quote:
The opti-spark is not the greatest of ignition systems and requires some maintenance work.
i love how they messed this one up when honda/nissan/toyota/heck even kia has been using it very effectively forever

Quote:
The valvetrain is also a full roller hydraulic setup
so does the B15 SR20DE

Quote:
so yes the LS-1 has been in design for 50 years and has compltely different parts then the first chevy small block, yet it functions in the same manner as the most popular engine in the world.
and the jdmtyteyo b16 functions in the same manner as your beloved SBC too so how does this prove anything

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #56
drftk1d
boost in, apex seals out

Send a message via AIM to drftk1d
Re: Re: 240sx with small block v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SXSlideStar
We Don't Give A Shit About Them Because They Aren't In Our Cars And Shouldn't Be In There!!!!!
why not?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #57
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

Because it's not where they belong, how owuld you think the domestic guys would react if I said I wanted to put a KA-T in a Corvette??

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
Old 09-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #58
R.W.240
Banned

Re: Re: Re: 240sx with small block v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftk1d
why not?
Its not so much that I dont care about the motor itself its just like "WTF is this doing in a 240SX forum?"

Plus Im tired of SR20DETPower bustin in with "blah blah LS1 is superior to any Nissan trash... blah blah arbitary arguments blah blah SR20s suck compared to the LS" I find that last part Ironic because of his SN

So Callout: SR20DETpower if you think an LS1 in a 240 would be so hot... do it. I garuntee that if you ever get it in there it would be the shoddy POS we were knockin on earlier. and I was looking at the cost. to make an LS1 in a 240SX not suck it would cost well over 4000$ well over 8000$ with a crate motor... theres a guy in austin thats doing 475 whp with a slipping clutch on an SR that was way less than 8K.

Beat it. I dare you
Old 09-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #59
LT1-Power
Banned

a Sr or a RB or a CA isn't in your car but you guys love to talk about that. Bottomline I think a v8 owns the nissan motors. A competent person can put a v8 into a 240sx almost as easily as it is to put a RB in it. The cost of a LS-1 would be on par with a RB25det, with more power, more reliabilty, cheaper- more numerous parts. A LS-1 with a good intake, headers, and good exhaust will waiste just about any SR20det with the stock or a smaller turbo and all the bolt-ons with a good tune.... The money you would spend on the SR at that point would be higher then the LS-1 project. Hey I will let that green s14 do the talking, ls6 intake manifold, ported throttle body, 11.9 in the 1/4 mile... faster then any 240sx on this board. Anyone with an open mind will see which route is faster.

and DUmbass slideways you are way off base man, talk about failure.

hondas have distributors, as does a KA24de, also not a lot of engines don run the waterpump off the camshaft.

Also the optispark system is not a cam gear you f'n moron LOL... damn thats retarded thinking. That would be called the Timing chain and gears...

a B16 honda motor works nothing like a SBC unless ur taking into account that its a 4 stroke gasoline engine with a camshaft, pistons, and a crankshaft.

I really am starting to see what you guys know and your calling me dumb.... this makes me laugh even more.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #60
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1-Power
a Sr or a RB or a CA isn't in your car but you guys love to talk about that.
Yes they are.... Well not the RB, but at least it's a Nissan engine.

Quote:
A competent person can put a v8 into a 240sx almost as easily as it is to put a RB in it.
Ok, so that rules you out.

Quote:
A LS-1 with a good intake, headers, and good exhaust will waiste just about any SR20det with the stock or a smaller turbo and all the bolt-ons with a good tune
Why would someone put on a smaller then stock turbo?

Quote:
The money you would spend on the SR at that point would be higher then the LS-1 project.
Then why hasn't everyone in North America hasn't done it yet? I know your going to say it's a lame, childish remark, but when there's like 3 people who have done it, there's something wrong there.

Quote:
Hey I will let that green s14 do the talking, ls6 intake manifold, ported throttle body, 11.9 in the 1/4 mile... faster then any 240sx on this board.
Well that sure is impressive...but there's like 10 240s on this board, 4 of which have neither the SR or KA-T.

Quote:
Anyone with an open mind will see which route is faster.
Once again, this rules you out of it.

Oh and you should do it if it's so great, don't come back until you have done it.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX