Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Rontell
AF Newbie

Unhappy MB 300 TDT suddenly has no power

I just bought a 1983 300TDT Turbo with 230000 miles on it and drove it home (2000+ miles)with no problems. Now the first time I went to use it locally I drove about 10 minutes and shut off the engine. When I went to drive back the engine started but developed very little power. I was barely able to get home. Going up the slightest hill was a challange and when I pulled into my garage and tried to drive the car back up the ramps I have been using to work under the car, I couldn't.

All the fluids and filters had been changed before I picked up the car.

I am just getting up to speed on these diesel engines and I understand that there is a governor to prevent runaway as well as other controls to prevent too much fuel being injected. Whether one of these is the cause, I don't know.

If someone out there has had a similar problem and knows where to look, I would be very greatfull!
Rontell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
talonlover
AF Regular

Re: MB 300 TDT suddenly has no power

Try reading this thread, The symptoms are different but I think I would do the same procedure trying to diagnose it.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=353516
Old 03-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
j_hef
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to j_hef

1) Check your pressure line from the rear of the intake manifold to the valve on the firewall to the injection pump. Make sure none of its fittings or lines are clogged.

2) Bypass the valve on the firewall and see if it gets better.

3) see if the ALDA device on the injection pump that line connects to holds pressure, if it leaks down in less than 10 seconds, replace it.

4) install a boost gauge in this line to help you diagnose
j_hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
talonlover
AF Regular

Jhef, are you thinking the turbo is not making power? I thought about that too but I have driven 300d's with the turbo out and even though the power was down, it was still able to make enough to pull up on jackramps. Maybe a big leak in the intake manifold?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
res1df0r
AF Newbie

This just happened to me... I know you said fluids and filters have been changed, but have you thought about fuel filters? There are 2 fuel filters and if the car sat for a while you're pretty much guaranteed the symptoms you describe if you've got some dirty/old fuel that clogged the filters. There's actually a screen or something in the tank, too, don't forget that.

Does your car feel like it's running lean? Prolly not getting enough diesel.

Good luck, post back and let us know if that helped!
res1df0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Rontell
AF Newbie

Re: Re: MB 300 TDT suddenly has no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by res1df0r
This just happened to me... I know you said fluids and filters have been changed, but have you thought about fuel filters? There are 2 fuel filters and if the car sat for a while you're pretty much guaranteed the symptoms you describe if you've got some dirty/old fuel that clogged the filters. There's actually a screen or something in the tank, too, don't forget that.

Does your car feel like it's running lean? Prolly not getting enough diesel.

Good luck, post back and let us know if that helped!
I have not had a chance to try anything right now as I am loaded up with other things (like a home remodel). I don't think its a fuel line or filter problem as most of the time this type of thing occurs gradually and my problem happened all at once. The ALDA unit might be it but until I have a chance to give the engine a good look see I just will not know. As soon as I look this over I will post what I find.

Thanks

Ron Ontell
Old 04-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
res1df0r
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: MB 300 TDT suddenly has no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontell
I have not had a chance to try anything right now as I am loaded up with other things (like a home remodel). I don't think its a fuel line or filter problem as most of the time this type of thing occurs gradually and my problem happened all at once. The ALDA unit might be it but until I have a chance to give the engine a good look see I just will not know. As soon as I look this over I will post what I find.

Thanks

Ron Ontell

FYI, when it happened to me the car was running 100% and then power went, not very gradually.... either way, good luck man
res1df0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
Rontell
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to check the fuel filters along with the other possiblities.

Ron

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion