Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #16
Bryants95240sx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bryants95240sx
Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

the SR20det swap isnt legal any any states as far as i know
Old 04-08-2004, 12:18 AM   #17
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanark
Hey Alk just thought ide tell you the Sr20 is legal in all states depending on if the car passed emissions or not.
sorry that we poeople on this board are not that helpful

but it makes much sense for the muthafucka to go get his engine swap then have to put his KA back in just cuz ur ass lied/////

"but Zanark said it was legal!!...."

Old 04-08-2004, 12:35 AM   #18
shohan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to shohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthj
"but Zanark said it was legal!!...."
I would laugh if I heard someone say something like that!
shohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #19
Zanark
AF Enthusiast

Then I was mistaken and I apologize for false information, its just seeing so many people around in my area have done these swaps and are also insured i asumed it would be legal if it passed emissions. But there was no need for the comments. Thanks.
Zanark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:56 AM   #20
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj

Quote:
Then I was mistaken and I apologize for false information, its just seeing so many people around in my area have done these swaps and are also insured i asumed it would be legal if it passed emissions. But there was no need for the comments. Thanks.
no need to apologize to me man, ....

but yes, there was need for a comment....and no thanks...

Old 04-08-2004, 07:15 AM   #21
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
the KA24 is far more reliable. When something breaks on it you can go get the parts at most parts stores for it. When something breaks on your RB or SR your car sits there waiting days/weeks for parts from Japan.
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #22
publicenemy137
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to publicenemy137

^ nope, SR parts are easily found here. The non-turboed version is used in the sentra. the Sentra uses the sr20de just not turboed. the RB you will have to wait for awhile. That was the main reason my friend chose the SR swap instead of the RB swap
Old 04-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #23
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah man, comments are necessary. Don't go talking about stuff you don't understand fully because "you saw it" especially when you are changing directions on another's statement.

I hate to break it to your friends, but if they get into a large enough accident were financial damages are high the insurance company on their side will rule 'illegal equipment' and not have to provide coverage (I can guarantee you they will comb through the car to figure out anything to not have to pay out a large claim). The insurance one the 'victims' side will rule 'illegal equipment' and use that to imply racing.

Chances are a fender bender will never have the 'powertrain' checked, but it's an illegal swap just as everyone speeds too, but only a few get caught.

Å
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #24
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
Re: Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicenemy137
^ nope, SR parts are easily found here. The non-turboed version is used in the sentra. the Sentra uses the sr20de just not turboed. the RB you will have to wait for awhile. That was the main reason my friend chose the SR swap instead of the RB swap

this is not true, name 5 parts on them that are interchangeable...

block is different
pistons are different
pulleys are different
manifolds are different
IGNITION is DIFFERENT(thats an important one)
Cooling is different
Computer/Electrical is different
Headgasket is different.

you shouldn't even really put it in the same class as a SR20det. Yes they are both SR20's but thats it. What the similarities are and why its still called a SR is the Displacement and bore/stroke on both engines is the same. They are constructed SIMILAR to each other. this does not mean that every nut and bolt is interchangeable, they are not twins.

One of the main differences is the Ignition system, and that one engine is for FWD and one is for RWD. This design change makes the construction a bit different on the two engines, ex. manifold is different, the coolant passages/hoses/headgasket/outlets on block are all different. The belt system is different as well, Power Steering, A/C compressor.......this is all the normal type of shit things go wrong on with cars that is important to be able to get the parts exactly when you ask for them.

A lot of people are blind to maintenance, they think the only thing that will go wrong with their car is if they overboost it and blow up the engine. The thing is not a brick its a machine. It depends on different systems to all be operating properly to ensure the operation of the engine.

So say you need to do simple maintenance things on your SR20det, most of them you cannot get from the Sentra. Wires, Ignition System, Gaskets(thats an important one there), oil filters, radiator hoses, belts, serpentine belt system, power steering, air conditioner, and electrical things.
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #25
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20

man! good shit sr20det power good shit!!!!!!

i can't add anything to what u said! i agree with u, but i fined it hard to disagree when most of what u said is facts!

i have a bltp sr20 and i waited 2 weeks for a turbo gasket!!! the whole time i ran 0 boost!!!!

i think sr are more better but it all has to do with how often the car been taken care of!

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:40 PM   #26
G_@_SpeedAlliance
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to G_@_SpeedAlliance Send a message via MSN to G_@_SpeedAlliance Send a message via Yahoo to G_@_SpeedAlliance
Uh yeah

This could go on for ever

Just get a 3 series, and call it good, autocross your ass off.

G_@_SpeedAlliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:59 PM   #27
mrflip69
AF Enthusiast

What the FUCK does parts availability have to do with the reliability of the engine??? If your engine keeps crapping out, then should that engine be thought of as reliable just because parts are easy to find??? It may be practical, yes (for a USDM engine), but reliable, not necessarily.

In general, Nissans have great reliability and can withstand a good amount of abuse (if cared for properly). SR motors are usually in bad shape since they've probably been beaten the shit out of. In terms of reliability on a fair and even level (new vs. new or rebuilt vs. rebuilt) the engines should be about the same, ESPECIALLY since more people are going KAT and most of the tuning and bugs are being worked out as we speak.
mrflip69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:39 AM   #28
KenOhki2112
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to KenOhki2112
Re: Re: Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
A lot of people are blind to maintenance, they think the only thing that will go wrong with their car is if they overboost it and blow up the engine. The thing is not a brick its a machine. It depends on different systems to all be operating properly to ensure the operation of the engine.

I dunno man, a car made entirely out of bricks wouldn't go very fast or last very long. You would automaticly win any car accident though...

Hey they call it a red top because the head is made out of a brick right? k cause thats what my friend told me. =(

-KenOhki2112
KenOhki2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #29
publicenemy137
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to publicenemy137
Re: Re: Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
this is not true, name 5 parts on them that are interchangeable...

block is different
pistons are different
pulleys are different
manifolds are different
IGNITION is DIFFERENT(thats an important one)
Cooling is different
Computer/Electrical is different
Headgasket is different.

you shouldn't even really put it in the same class as a SR20det. Yes they are both SR20's but thats it. What the similarities are and why its still called a SR is the Displacement and bore/stroke on both engines is the same. They are constructed SIMILAR to each other. this does not mean that every nut and bolt is interchangeable, they are not twins.

One of the main differences is the Ignition system, and that one engine is for FWD and one is for RWD. This design change makes the construction a bit different on the two engines, ex. manifold is different, the coolant passages/hoses/headgasket/outlets on block are all different. The belt system is different as well, Power Steering, A/C compressor.......this is all the normal type of shit things go wrong on with cars that is important to be able to get the parts exactly when you ask for them.

So say you need to do simple maintenance things on your SR20det, most of them you cannot get from the Sentra. Wires, Ignition System, Gaskets(thats an important one there), oil filters, radiator hoses, belts, serpentine belt system, power steering, air conditioner, and electrical things.
alright I shall not question your knowledge of sr20's anymore, you obviously know a lot more than me. It's just that I heard that a major advantage that the sr20 has over the rb25 is that the parts are easily found in america do to the sentras using the same engine. My friend who knows a lot about 240s and just got a red-top sr20 said that also
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #30
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflip69
What the FUCK does parts availability have to do with the reliability of the engine??? If your engine keeps crapping out, then should that engine be thought of as reliable just because parts are easy to find??? It may be practical, yes (for a USDM engine), but reliable, not necessarily.

In general, Nissans have great reliability and can withstand a good amount of abuse (if cared for properly). SR motors are usually in bad shape since they've probably been beaten the shit out of. In terms of reliability on a fair and even level (new vs. new or rebuilt vs. rebuilt) the engines should be about the same, ESPECIALLY since more people are going KAT and most of the tuning and bugs are being worked out as we speak.
call me retarded but if I lose a part on the road and cannot get a replacement within a day (hell even under a week) I would say that is unreliable.

I don't know where you get that SR motors are terribly abused. It would be like the average 30-40k mile pull here. Not all of japan in 240SX's (silvia/180sx) are insane like us.

Å
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX