Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Plata
AF Newbie

OBD2 FULL scantool for FORD

Hi friends, well for scanning some DTCś on my windstar i've bought an ELM327 interface, this thing its really cheap coastme 289 mexican pesos, that its about $25 USD

the package contains only an obd2 cable with USB port in the other side, it connects directly to the computer, but also you need some software,

well, maybe someone has talked about this interface and how it works so i will not bore you with specs and those stuff.

Let's go to the grain, searching about specific PID's of many manufactures, i found some GM pid's, but come on, that doesn't matter to me, i don't have a GM, so i continue looking for FORD or VW (i have a VW GOL g3) for the vw i can't test it, becuase it has been hit by a sweep bus and its on the paint shop, but for my dear windstar i find some software, for specific use into mazda and ford vehicles.

its name is ForScan, before talking about it i have to tell that its freeware here its the web site:

http://forscan.org/

now lets talk about it, i read that is a specific software for FORD, so i think, well, maybe it could delete ALL the DTC of all the modules, like ABS or SRS for example, but i have just tested it quickly and i am very surprised, it replaces scanner very most costly than this little ELM327, because with it you could read all DTC, off all modules, but that is just the beginning, with my generic OBD2 software i only obtained 3 DTC (the common EGR, and the two codes that are generated by the vaccum leak)
but with this thing i obtained ALL the codes, mhy tranny its slippong into third gear (i know that but the code its stored without the MIL lamp come on) my sttop bulb its blown (the light indicator its on, but the scanner says specifically what lamp its blown) and all my ABS system doesn't work because i obtained all the ABS DTC's, also it says that has a failure on the interior lights (i've installed leds so it detect's open circuit) i was very impressed, but i change the option and found out more functions

i could read LIVE parameters of the van, not only engine, its everything i could read also if i have the brake pedal floored or not, well that is not so important, but you could read ATF temp, status of three shift solenoids, of the AT pressure regulator and the TCC solenoid, the splippage detected ant the desired slippage, rpm of input, rpm of output, well, simplifying i could read the status of all the solenoids in the van and that i only saw it before in a very expensive snap on scantool.

and well, in more curiosities its the first time i meet all the leds on my dashborad it has some instrument cluster tests and it makes all leds to turn on, its looks like a christmas tree hehehe.

also you could do much more, but i should expend all the late to test anything, also i will take a video for you to watch the funcionality of this.

CONCLUSION: by the coast of the interface, it worth the effotr to buy it, and with this freeware well, you have a complete scantool for diagnose your windstar and any other ford vehicle completely.

Greetings.

PS: Sorry for the long post, but it worth reading it.
PS2: Sorry by the ban english grammar, my natural language its spanish, but i have done my best effort
Plata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plata For This Useful Post:
Ed_Strong (07-05-2013), tempfixit (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

Re: OBD2 FULL scantool for FORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plata View Post
I've bought an ELM327 interface, the package contains only an obd2 cable with USB port in the other side, it connects directly to the computer, but also you need some software.

searching about specific PID's of many manufactures, i found some GM pid's, but come on, that doesn't matter to me, i don't have a GM,
Do you mind also sharing what you found for GM vehicles... I own the same ELM327 interface tool and had a hard time finding software for my GM cars! All I found was ScanTool.net (which now is payware) and all it did was read Generic Codes and read 6 or 7 simple PIDs like Engine Temp, RPM, Battery Voltage and such!

Current Rides:
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L - 3.5L V6 -{|}- 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD 1.8 I4

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

----------------------------------------------
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

I have the OBDLink SX software and I downloded the Forscan and what a wealth of info can be had with this. Thank you Plata for sharing.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Plata
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Strong View Post
Do you mind also sharing what you found for GM vehicles... I own the same ELM327 interface tool and had a hard time finding software for my GM cars! All I found was ScanTool.net (which now is payware) and all it did was read Generic Codes and read 6 or 7 simple PIDs like Engine Temp, RPM, Battery Voltage and such!
hi bro, of course i will shar it, also i have to tell you that i doesnt find to much, i only find a little info about pids.

but resuming the most posible, the ELM interface communicates the car (any protocol) via messages, ELM sends a request, and expect some response, well, you coul use a software for manippulating the ELM or you could send to it commands in HEX numbers, you cold send a command for read only the information of some module, or for reading info of all modules.

Well, one page i found was this one :

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/arc.../t-143132.html

a software for sending commands to the ELM in windows is the PROSCAN you connect the vehicle and then go to the ELM button

or in linux, with the "screen" utility, i dont know very well how it works, and i dont investigate if exist other software becuase i've just found the FORSCAN for my windstar, but there it should be some "easy" way to communicate directly to the ELM

i find very more articles that i dont remember the link, but i copy pasted the important info into a TXT documment, so i will quote the more relevant info for you

Code:
the first thing is to find a software to communicate directly to the ELM, 

then you send this commands

AT SH 6C XX F1    //this command set the ELM to read just a module, replace the XX with the module number, i dont remember the number for read all modules, but it was FE or FF, you could try both

19 d2 FF 00 //this other command read the trouble codes, and set the communication with the module(s)

14 //yes you just put 14 in the command line and with that you reset all the DTC of the module and restore to the default settings (or that is supossed to do)

the modules numbers for GM are

28 ABS
40 BCM
10 ECM / PCM 
58 Airbag
60 Instument Panel Cluster
80 Radio
C0 immobilizer
62 HUD

that is all the info i have, if i found something else i will post it inmediatly.

hope it helps in somthing, at least for erasing codes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plata For This Useful Post:
Ed_Strong (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

Thanks Plata...

It would be great if there was a free software just like forscan for GM vehicles

Current Rides:

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
MarPac
AF Newbie

Thanks, downloaded so I might test it on my 2000 even 95 Windstar with ELM device :-)
MarPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

I've looked at these interfaces a bit. The fact that there seem to be a lot of them out there has sort of scared me off buying one. I really would like a simple corded version that I can plug into the ODB2 port on my van and then into my computer laptop, which is a macbook.

This interface is really "just" an interface correct? It's the software that's the main component - true as well?
Muskoka Canada
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern piper View Post
I've looked at these interfaces a bit. The fact that there seem to be a lot of them out there has sort of scared me off buying one. I really would like a simple corded version that I can plug into the ODB2 port on my van and then into my computer laptop, which is a macbook.

This interface is really "just" an interface correct? It's the software that's the main component - true as well?
You're totally correct northern, the ELM327 chip it just the interface between the the PC (laptop, phone, tablet, etc.) and cars PCM!

The software is the main component to make the interface communicate and transfer info. They could become pricey tho... most offer the software for individual manufacturers (Ford, GM, Dodge, etc.) but it's just the generic reader.

If you want ABS, Tranny, Electronic Controls, etc. you need to spend more on additional software packages. So if you own more than one manufacturer this could add up quickly!

Untill Plata stumbled upon this ForScan.org package I had not seen a free OBDII software scanner that was so comprehensive. Most free ones only allow for basic scanning and clearing of generic DTC codes and a handfull of PIDs display (Battery Voltage, Eng RPM, Eng Temp and such).

If you decide to get an ELM327 chip, make sure you get the latest version as it will offer faster comm speeds and better compatability with newer formats like CAN BUS for newer vehicles!

Current Rides:

Past Rides:

Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

Not like any of us need "extra" things to do.. windstar repairs and upgrades are enough thank you very much, but here is a link to a site that sells a kit for $25 plus shipping to make an ELM327 adapter:

http://www.obddiag.net/allpro.php

when you look at a ready made version of the same thing such as:

http://www.diydiagnostics.com/

which retails for $119 .. the diy reader is right up my alley. With a bit of hobby electronics experience this appears to be an easy project. I've seen the ones advertized that the OP bought and have heard some unreliable results which is why I've always shied away from them. I'm glad they worked for Plata but getting the most up to date chipset as the kit contains is an important part of the interface.

Anybody done this?
Muskoka Canada
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

hello? anyone? everyone on holidays?
Muskoka Canada
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Plata
AF Newbie

well it seems very interesting the DIY of the interface, in my ase i found it in one piece by the same price, and well, here in my country the DIY kits are very rare to find out. also it would be a very good project.

time ago i just found something like that but for VW AUDI SEAT, you could buy a VAGCOM interface and in the case of the VAGCOM it doesnt have much stuff like the chip for example, also in that times, i doesnt know anything about electronics so i discard the info, bad bad idea, now i have a VW GOL and i love VW cars, so i realy need now that info and i cant find it anymore, also the VCDS software in that times were freeware.

returning to the topic, i found out some various info about the ELM, actually mine doesnt work at the first, i configured out anything and it doesnt work, so i test it on linux with the diirect commands like "AT SH" and well it worked, so the interface was OK,

the problem was that it exists two different ELM interface the first one its a privative software in the chip, its based in the original freeware ELM software but with some locks, and the drivers only work with the privative software on the chip, in my case i have a generic ELm and the privative drivers, so i looked for the generic drivers and it worked right until now.

personally, i would prefer to buy a complete interface, because i cant find the kit here, but i you want to try, it should be exactly the same a complete interface or a DIY interface.

This is the interface i have:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/...27-aragon--_JM

the price is in Mexican Pesos MXN

and well at least here its the only generic OBD" interface you could find.

Greetings
The Following User Says Thank You to Plata For This Useful Post:
65val (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
65val
AF Newbie

Plata...thanks for posting this info. I was recently on E-Bay and noticed they had numerous listings (and numerous prices) for these ELM327 interface cable units. Is there one particular one you'd recommend buying, or do you think they are all basically the same?
65val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

This is such great info.

Plata, do you know if it's possible to program new keys with the "ForScan" software? It would be great if it does.

65val, I've read that there are several "made in China" adapters that are outdated versions of the original ELM327. They still work but since they don't have the latest firmware, it will not support the latest definitions and might have several bugs in the code. When buying one and taking a look at the inside it should clearly read ELM327 on one of the integrated circuits. Chinese fakes have a PIC microcontroller with the 1.0 firmware version (first version of the ELM code) instead of the ELM integrated circuit.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern piper View Post
Not like any of us need "extra" things to do.. windstar repairs and upgrades are enough thank you very much, but here is a link to a site that sells a kit for $25 plus shipping to make an ELM327 adapter:

http://www.obddiag.net/allpro.php

when you look at a ready made version of the same thing such as:

http://www.diydiagnostics.com/

which retails for $119 .. the diy reader is right up my alley. With a bit of hobby electronics experience this appears to be an easy project. I've seen the ones advertized that the OP bought and have heard some unreliable results which is why I've always shied away from them. I'm glad they worked for Plata but getting the most up to date chipset as the kit contains is an important part of the interface.

Anybody done this?
I would say that those are fakes. First tell sign is the PIC IC contained in the kit. The real deal MUST be an ELM327. Second sign is the cost of $25 for the entire kit when the ELM327 chip itself costs $23.5 CAD for the latest version (2.0).

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Plata
AF Newbie

i would recommend to buy the llatest version, i bought that because is was the only aviable at the moment of the purchase.

programming new keys, it should be possible with the software, i scan every module and you could acces to the state of the programmation for example, i found out the the modules know that my windstar has only 3 doors and not 4, that there are only 4 keys recognized and well, quantity of lamps, with they are, etc.

I found that ther is a part that says "programming" but when i clic it, the software close it, i tried few times, and happen the same, but as i could see, the programming function scans all modules programmable functions of each module, then you could program it once to once, but i couldn't do it,

if anyone can try please post the results, because at least in my software and van, the software fails when i attemp to scan the modules for programming

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
obd2 , scanner , scantool , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar