Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
cebryant
AF Newbie

ABS light comes on after driving awhile

Recently my 99 Windstar ABS light started coming on. Only comes on after driving for a while. When the engine is turned off it goes off and stays off until it has been driven for a while. I read about other ABS postings that referred to the sensors. Does this sound like a sensor problem as well. If so can the sensors be serviced by a shade tree mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.
cebryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
SonOfDolomite
AF Newbie

My 95 windstar had the same issue. The brake fluid was a little low so all I did was to top off the brake fluid and the problem went away, go figure.
SonOfDolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Bildo
AF Newbie

I had the same problem. One of the sensor rings on the front axel was cracked. The part is a dealer item and costs around $25. I had my repair done at a local shop and it cost me around $80. I'm not sure if it is a do it youself job.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
RickZ
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: ABS light comes on after driving awhile

Did you try a code reader? That would go a long way with any dash lights
It helped pinpoint a faulty front left wheel sensor which was also tripping the tire monitor light. Very annoying to say the least. I’m sure many others have posted in front abs sensors.
If you can remove the tire safely and secure the vehicle with a jack stands, these can be replaced with basic tools. Some plastic was broken into the holster that was a PITA to remove. Had to dremel the hole to remove rust to reinsert to new sensor.
Why they have those two linked is simply baffling. The TPMS uses the revolution counter from the abs sensor to gauge the tires I guess.
Anyways, strongly suggest a scanner tool to plug into the port under the steering wheel column. Ordered the most economical ABS sensor from rock auto and both dash lights are off.
If I was to order the same, I would have bought the two front sensors and replaced both at same time. Hindsight.
RickZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Re: ABS light comes on after driving awhile

I see this is an old thread, so I'll just share my experience for anyone who is having the problem now.
I had a problem with my ABS a while ago that turned out to be "worn out" rear sensors. The symptoms included ABS light coming on after driving a while, and sometime I'd get ABS action when stopping, especially when driving slow such as in a neighborhood.
The sensors for the rear wheels with drum brakes (possibly different for rear discs) have an iron or steel extension that is not fully protected from dust and grime. In my case those sensors corroded and wore down until the end, which is normally a straight edge, was shaped into a point. When this wears down the signal to the ABS is not as strong, especially at lower speeds.
Replacing the sensors fixed the problem.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar