Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
inforcer958
AF Newbie

Question SBC sputters/bogs/hesitation under hard acceleration

Finally got my SBC 350 running again from over the winter, Now that i have it running i have some weird problems. First off when i got the car running i had the timing light ready so i could check / set the timing to around 10-16 deg BTDC. over the past few weeks i have gone on little test drives, turning the timing up a little as seems ness. The car just wasn't running right. So i put the light back on it to check my timing, after i got it to a spot where the car runs decent with gradual acceleration. and the initial timing it at 21-22 deg BTDC!?!?! I have a dial back timing light. Now i know it shouldn't be that high. but that's where it runs well and i don't seems to have any pinging. having the wife rev it up to 3000 rpm the timing without vac adv comes up to 34deg and stays there.

So initial = 21-22
total = 34?

However, it starts ok, it kinda chugs until i give it a few revs, ( is that a problem?), but then when i take it out. and whether from a stop, or from about 30mph if i stomp on it. WOT, is just falls flat on its face, like i shut the car off. then i let off the gas pedal it will come back to life (30MPH situation) WOT from a stop will usually kill it.

I did a bunch of work over the winter:

New trans TH350,
new full length headers
new edelbrock rpm air gap intake #7501
SS fuel line from pump to AN fuel filter - fuel pressure guage - carb

Also, everything in the distributor is new, from ign mod to radio cap / wiring, wires are under a year old, same with plugs.

Edelbrock 600 CFM carb, #1405. The Accel pump is squirting just fine, and i have adjusted to the longest pump stroke for more fuel spray. Also the floats in the carb were moving freely.

The distributor weights / springs are clean and tight. other then the instant start-up idle weirdness it idles just fine. I am using a vac adv, hooked up to ported vac on the carb. I did unplug and cap the vac adv to set the initial timing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

1992 Chevy, Camaro, 3.1L MPFI, BONE STOCK
inforcer958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: SBC sputters/bogs/hesitation under hard acceleration

You should run about 14-16 initial and the rest in the mechanical advance, as you say 34-36 at 3k, 21 initial is too high. The hesitation can be low fuel pressure, low float level. stuck metering rods/pistons, get the timing curve corrected then go from there.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Since the distributor was removed to install the intake, I would double check to see if is was installed correctly and not one tooth off. Confirm TDC and see where the rotor is pointing in relation to the distributor cap #1
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
inforcer958
AF Newbie

Turned timing down, and it is still running about the same. I need to throw a light on it to double check what exactly its at.
I have jus recently took the top end of the carb apart, i had a clogs accel pump nozzle. So i had to take the metering rods and springs out, and i checked the floats for stickiness / height. Everything seemed fine.

Checked for vacuum leaks, and to see if the vac adv held a vacuum or if it leaked...

As far as the distributor position. Even if the distributor was one tooth off, wouldn't that just limit the range of timing (retarded-adv) that i would have. and if i needed more, and say the vac adv was hitting the intake. then i would have to remove and re-position the distributor?

I am starting to think it is Fuel pressure personally. Yesterday the car started just fine. i went around the neighborhood a few blocks, and then parked it outside in the rain bc i had some stuff to do in the garage. Few hours later i went to start it again. and it just cranked for about 2 min straight. and pumping the pedal didnt help one bit....I have an inline gauge on the pump to carb fuel line. And sometimes it reads around 5 psi, and sometimes the car is running and it is at 0 or close to it. I don't think the gauge is bad. However my question it. Lets say the engine is running and the gauge shows 5psi. if i give it WOT in park, if the fuel pump was bad would i see the pressure drop? Or if this an under-load situation. Where i WOT the engine while moving or from a stand still in drive, and the fuel pressure isnt there to move the load? Thanks for all the help.

1992 Chevy, Camaro, 3.1L MPFI, BONE STOCK

Last edited by inforcer958; 06-01-2012 at 09:35 AM.
inforcer958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
maxwedge
A990 racer

Running fp should be about 6-7psi ,under load wide open 3-5 for sure. Get the timing where it should be to eliminate any questions, clogged sock in the tank causes issues also.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Martin86
AF Newbie

I think you should take a longer trip and make shure you let it fully warm up before timing it.
also id check dwell timing and gap if you have points sounds like a good old fashioned pre ignition fire cutting it off due to lack of proper timing at that rpm.if it has hei I would look into timing maybe even the timing chain or dizzy gear on the cam for a sbc 12deg btdc sounds right ,..not 20+ and remember to un plug the vac advance before u time it n block it off?
Martin86 is offline   Reply With Quote