Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars > Packard > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Build your own damn automobile.

Sometime in August 1898, James Ward Packard confronted Alexander Winton, one the nations first automakers about his car - the 12th one winton sold.
Mr. Packard told Winton of the problems and troubles he was having with his car, and suggested some changes Winton should make to his future automobiles.
Winton rather annoyed by Packard is thought to have said "Mr. Packard, if you are so smart, why don't you make a car yourself!?" I personally think that Winton is more likely to have said "...why don't you make your own damn automobile!?" because it sounds better.

Anyway, as history goes - Winton dropped out of the auto market in 1924, and Packard went on to produce some of the finest American cars built prior to WWII.
So remember, if you think you can do it better - chances are you can do it better

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
lrd56
AF Newbie

packard

packard made other great cars like the 56 golden hawk that looked really good and ran faster than the corvette .packard merged with studebaker and together they built some very good cars i owned a 63 1/2 ton pickup with a 259 engine and electric overdrive that looked good and ran good it out hauled lots of the other brands but it got too rusty so i sold it to a member of the studebaker/packard drivers club if anybody wants info on studebaker/packards look up the drivers club
lrd56 is offline   Reply With Quote