Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Anthony_Geo
AF Newbie

How to remove fitting on end of power steering line? 1991 Geo Storm 2+2

I have a leaking power steering line on my Geo Storm 2+2. It's the one that runs from the power steering fluid reservoir to the steering column.

There are 2 large fittings that connect to the steering column, and also 2 smaller lines with 12mm fittings. I can get a 17mm crow foot wrench on one, and an 18mm on the other, but it's probably a little larger because of rust.The one I'm trying to get loose is the lower one with the 17mm fitting, and it's more to the left, looking at it from the front of the car.

I squirted the fitting with PB Blaster three times. I can just get a 17mm crow's foot wrench on the fitting and there's only enough room to get it on there one way. With as much muscle as I can manage, the fitting still won't budge! So what to do? (I don't want to try cutting the line and using a socket. If I still can't get the fitting loose, then I would really be in a bad situation.)

Just to the left of this fitting, there is a vertical band of metal, about 5/8 inch wide, that wraps around the rack and pinion. On top of the rack and pinion, this band is joined to some large part of the suspension. Where these 2 parts meet, there are 2 triangular parts held together with a 12mm screw.

Those triangular bits are exactly in the way; so I can't get a wrench on the fitting. I was wondering, can I remove that screw and bend that band of metal down, and then get a 17mm brake line wrench on the fitting and give that a try? I can't get the lower screw off that band of metal because the anti-sway bar is in the way.

I already removed the same power steering line from a Geo Storm in a junkyard. That one was a breeze. But this fitting just doesn't want to budge.

Thank you for your help.

Anthony_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
bearcat329
AF Regular

Talking Re: How to remove fitting on end of power steering line? 1991 Geo Storm 2+2

if you're going to replace the line anyway, cut it off and slap a socket on it!, sounds like it's rusted in there as well, so be sure to use a 6 point socket of the correct size, 1/2 inch drive should do the trick, and if needed, use a breaker bar, no sense being nice about it, since it sounds like the old line's shot anyways
hth
Rick, Or
bearcat329 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm