Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
InfestedShadow
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to InfestedShadow Send a message via Yahoo to InfestedShadow
5 or 6 speed ?

is there a big difference having 5 speed instead of 6 speed ?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn
Re: 5 or 6 speed ?

Search i know there has been a few thread bout this before. From what i herd its just a matter of prefrence as far i as i know no top speed differnce or accel.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Nope, not really. 6spd's t-case is stronger, but both can be broken. Check out the FAQ for the other differences between the years, but for practical purposes, no there it really doesn't make a difference, unless you are building a heavily modified track car.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
97SLGT
AF Regular

Does the 6speed have a slightly shorter gearing?

Daily Cruiser - 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
Weapon of Choice - 2006 Acura RSX Type-S
New to the Family(Sold) - 1990 Nissan 240SX
Good-bye to the almighty(Sold) - 1985 Toyota Corolla (AE86)
+1,400HP/+1,300TQ RSX Type-S
97SLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Slightly being the key word.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
92VR4Red
AF Enthusiast

The 5 speed does have a better gearing, by .3 if im not mistaken... the has been many conflicts between the two, the 5 speed is the tranny to drag race with because of the gears. now though small difference it makes... the main conflict is between the the duability of the 2. on the 6 speed after geting into the 700+ Hp range has a BIG problem about cracking the bellhousing in half... not fun... but as for the 5 speed 18 spline t-case... it has a problem about messing up the vicous coupling, and shatering some tail shafts...

the 5 speed is a stronger transmission but lacks the strength in the t-case...
now i called around to 3sx and gt-pro and other 3s shops to get to the bottom of the case...

this what i came across to make the most powerfull drivetrain... you need the 5 speed tranny from a 92 or 93 (not 91 syncro probs), with the 25 spline t-case that they only made for one yeah on the 93 models, and no its not compatible with a 6 speed (of course), people think that the 25 spline t-case is the same as the 18 spline but they have alot different about them.

now that you have the 5 speed and 25 spline t-case combo... you will of course need the harden shaft that is offered for it

this is what gt-pro has equiped on there shop car (and its 2nd gen ) and this is what i have on mine... now its really hard to find the 25 pline t-case for a 1st gen because there was only roughly 800 made (took me about a month to get one)... and if you want to spend the money you can get a brand new one from mitsu...

On my car i have got the most power components made for the car... though its a first gen i do have the 99 4 bolt main block with forged crank and then my drive train is unique to most... haveing my 5 speed 25 spline t-case and carbon fiber drive shaft... it really is worth the money and time.

any other qeustions? just ask
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy

WTF are you talking about?
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92VR4Red
The 5 speed does have a better gearing, by .3 if im not mistaken... the has been many conflicts between the two, the 5 speed is the tranny to drag race with because of the gears. now though small difference it makes... the main conflict is between the the duability of the 2. on the 6 speed after geting into the 700+ Hp range has a BIG problem about cracking the bellhousing in half... not fun... but as for the 5 speed 18 spline t-case... it has a problem about messing up the vicous coupling, and shatering some tail shafts...
better by .3? .3 what?? How is the 5 speed tranny the one to drag race with if the t-case that attaches to it the weakest? The gearing is slightly better if your traps are under 120mph and you dont have a raised rev limiter, but if you get JDM gearing for the 6 speed that goes out the window too.

Quote:

the 5 speed is a stronger transmission but lacks the strength in the t-case...
now i called around to 3sx and gt-pro and other 3s shops to get to the bottom of the case...
The gears in the 5 speed are thicker, but the case isnt all that much better, the thin part that cracks around the beraing race is still very thin on the 5 speed, its just that the t-case breaks first so you never get a chance to break the bellhousing.
Quote:

this what i came across to make the most powerfull drivetrain... you need the 5 speed tranny from a 92 or 93 (not 91 syncro probs), with the 25 spline t-case that they only made for one yeah on the 93 models, and no its not compatible with a 6 speed (of course), people think that the 25 spline t-case is the same as the 18 spline but they have alot different about them.

now that you have the 5 speed and 25 spline t-case combo... you will of course need the harden shaft that is offered for it
The 91-92.5 had 2 different 18 spline spools for the t-case, but the transmissions are identical. The 25 spline trannys are also identical for both the 92.5 and the 93 model years. There is no such thing as a special 5 speed 25 spline t-case. There is a difference between the 5 and 6 speed 25 spline t-cases

Quote:

this is what gt-pro has equiped on there shop car (and its 2nd gen ) and this is what i have on mine... now its really hard to find the 25 pline t-case for a 1st gen because there was only roughly 800 made (took me about a month to get one)... and if you want to spend the money you can get a brand new one from mitsu...
one again, WTF? There are at least 3894 factory cases, because that is the total number of stock TT cars that were produced for 93'. So that doesnt even count the number of 92 cars that came with 25 sline cases. FYI 92 had production numbers of 9302 just for the turbo cars, so if I were to assume that 1/2 of the cars are 25 spline that would put the number of 25 spline t-case up to 8500.
Quote:

On my car i have got the most power components made for the car... though its a first gen i do have the 99 4 bolt main block with forged crank and then my drive train is unique to most... haveing my 5 speed 25 spline t-case and carbon fiber drive shaft... it really is worth the money and time.

any other qeustions? just ask
The most power components made for the car? You have got to be kidding me. So you are around what? 800whp?

Basicly 6 speed is stronger, but at moderate power levels the 5 speed holds up just fine.

On a side note, there are 2 people who are now making CNCed steel and aluminum main housings for the 5 speed t-case that are a lot stronger than the stock unit. All you have to do is swap the guts, and spend around 1500 on the piece. Niether one is currently for sale, but one person has 2 units being tested on some very high HP cars(700?AWHP and 833AWHP), and they will be for sale soon.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/steal...QQcmdZViewItem

That sure was hard to find one of the "rare" t-cases
Old 06-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

1 point for talskiny guy.

Can you saw pwnt?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
92VR4Red
AF Enthusiast

I can say... a defensive 6 speed owner, and didnt say diferent tranny... i said DIFERENT T_CASE oh and by the way... this is all come from the mouth of Brain from GTPro (the owner) so really your arguing with a Brain not me
Old 06-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #11
Gateway
AF Enthusiast

well I don't want to jump in the middle, but if that really is true that brian said all that, I'll make sure never to buy from gtpro. if he thinks there are only 800 25 spline transfer cases out there....then I'll make sure to take my business elsewhere.
RPS Streetmax clutch
Rebuilt tranny
Free Boost Mod
Maximal Performance Solid Motor Mounts

Pictures and Videos of my car
Got a question about your auto insurance? I'm an insurance agent, ask away.
Gateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Im actually looking for a 5 speed TT car right now, and dont own a 6 speed any more. I prefer a 6 speed, but with the new t-cases coming out and a fairly easy mod to the tranny is its pretty much indestructible.

But for 120+ trap speeds the 6 speed is better geared.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Gateway
AF Enthusiast

well my vr4 is on the market, so if you want to buy it, I'd be more than willing to sell it to you. I'm actually going to be putting it up on autotrader.com on thursday...
RPS Streetmax clutch
Rebuilt tranny
Free Boost Mod
Maximal Performance Solid Motor Mounts

Pictures and Videos of my car
Got a question about your auto insurance? I'm an insurance agent, ask away.
Gateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #14
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Im looking for under 3-4 grand, and not running is ok, but super high milage / running like shit is prefered. I just want a rolling chassis that has everything so I can part out the engine and what not, and put a 6g74 in it.

That or cut the body enough to fit a v8 in there and make the car RWD.

Also, the one color I dont want is green, and I would prefer a stealth over a 3000GT
Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

^damn someones getting into a project...

my vote is for the RWD V8. shrink the rear end...fit some huge drag tires under there...mmmmm....DELICIOUS!
If you go that route, have you decided on an engine yet? stroker would be kinda cool. Although so would an old hemi...but youll probably have to stick with a small-block because of the space issue.

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth