Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Murano | FX45
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
David Lee
AF Newbie

Murano Transmission

Hi Folks

I'm considering a purchase of a New Murano and am concerned about the cvt transmission, I put on a lot of miles in a year and was hoping for some feedback. The Murano has been out for a couple of years so I imagine there are some high mileage units out there, basicly how long does the drive belt last and does it start to run differently when the belt starts to wear and this may seem like a stupid question but if the belt breaks are you stuck at the side of the highway or can it still be driven?

Inquirying minds need to know before I write the big cheque.

Dave
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
LesGrandsPieds
AF Newbie

These are all excellent questions. I really wish I knew the answers to these questions myself. I'm really excited about the whole CVT thing though, as long as they can make it reliable.
LesGrandsPieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
GMIKESELL
AF Newbie

Re: Murano Transmission

I don't have any answers to your questions yet but I can tell you that I spent a week hauling about 1000 lbs of bagged concrete per day and didn't have any problem at all. I didn't hardly notice any difference in power or acceleration. In fact, I overheard one of the guys at Home Depot commenting to another guy that "that Murano holds up to the weight better than a lot of pickups!".
GMIKESELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Wild Hare Ranch
AF Newbie

You know I read somewhere that Nissan has been running vehicles with CVT in them all over. I remember hearing the fleet had many 100,000 miles on them without a single flaw. This kind of testing is wisely done by all manufacturer's prior to production runs. I'm sure there's a blog somewhere on line about this. If I run across it I'll post it here.

Jeff

PS My only beef with the CVT is dead stop acceleration being a little slow off the line. However the Murano is no dog with a 0 to 60 @ 7.5ish seconds.
Wild Hare Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
RAREROD74
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee
Hi Folks

I'm considering a purchase of a New Murano and am concerned about the cvt transmission, I put on a lot of miles in a year and was hoping for some feedback. The Murano has been out for a couple of years so I imagine there are some high mileage units out there, basicly how long does the drive belt last and does it start to run differently when the belt starts to wear and this may seem like a stupid question but if the belt breaks are you stuck at the side of the highway or can it still be driven?

Inquirying minds need to know before I write the big cheque.

Dave
hey dave im a nissan tech and first they are great trucks. i will let you know what the common problems are , the fuel door accuator is going to drive you crazy , and the cd player is not the best for cd-rw's and the tire pressure sensor light . thats about it as far as the cvt trans i havent seen any problems yet. the cvt trans is very simple in fact if you play golf the cart you putt around in has a cvt trans which consist of a driven belt and pulleys . which is simular to whats in the cvt trans from nissan except the murranos trans has a steel belt that drives the pulley the pulley diameter is almost cone shaped and as engine rpm goes up so does the belt to the larger diameter giving smooth seemless acceleration. i takes a while to get use to it
RAREROD74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
DigMe
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Murano Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREROD74
hey dave im a nissan tech and first they are great trucks. i will let you know what the common problems are , the fuel door accuator is going to drive you crazy , and the cd player is not the best for cd-rw's and the tire pressure sensor light . thats about it as far as the cvt trans i havent seen any problems yet. the cvt trans is very simple in fact if you play golf the cart you putt around in has a cvt trans which consist of a driven belt and pulleys . which is simular to whats in the cvt trans from nissan except the murranos trans has a steel belt that drives the pulley the pulley diameter is almost cone shaped and as engine rpm goes up so does the belt to the larger diameter giving smooth seemless acceleration. i takes a while to get use to it
Those are good things to know since we just bought my wife a brand new SL. Sucks about the CD-RW's. My 2000 Xterra is very picky about CD-Rs and lately it seems that it won't play them at all. Might be time for a new head unit. Haven't tried any of them in the wife's Murano yet.

brad cook
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
dustrman03

well i have only heard positive reviews about the CVT. it probably won't be bad because otherwise i don't think nissan would still be putting it in their cars if it had problems.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Art234
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Murano Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrman03
well i have only heard positive reviews about the CVT. it probably won't be bad because otherwise i don't think nissan would still be putting it in their cars if it had problems.
I have a 2003 Murano with 36,600 miles, and it just went in for a new transmission. The problem is not so much that the transmission is bad, it's a sealed unit, and if a sensor or something fails they just change the whole unit.

I had an incidence of no reverse about 2 weeks ago-the engine wouldn't rev above 1500 RPM backing up my driveway (it is on a hill). I tried numerous times, then turned the car off and on again and it worked.

The computer threw a code indicating a problem with the transmission pressure sensor, and Nissan told my dealer to replace the transmission.

The car went in this morning, I get it back maybe Wednesday.

Up till now, no problems and I do love the vehicle.

I hope this helps
Art234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Tony Pietro
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Murano Transmission

a co worker has a 2005 and he has had the transmission back to the dealer 3 different times, big problems for him lost vehicle for 3 days each time. dont know what they did but seems ok now. this could be just one of those lemons like any car could be.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Murano | FX45