Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: What's your favorite muscle car.
1 ST Gen Camaro 67 44.97%
Corvette 13 8.72%
4 TH Gen Comaro 5 3.36%
Dodge Charger 8 5.37%
Hemi Baracuda 11 7.38%
Mustang 12 8.05%
AC Cobra 6 4.03%
Fairlane 2 1.34%
Trans AM 11 7.38%
GTO 14 9.40%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #31
burnM
AF Enthusiast

Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

I think gm should retro the car to look close to the '69 SS/RS something like those pics ,but I don't like the back, maybe sharper lines on the entire car.
To make it cost effective they could build it on the same platform as the chevy SSR. Put a 327 or a 350 in it to make it cheaper for the average Joe. No luxury crap- just like it was in the beginning. Bare bones muscle in a lightweight car. 2 different suspension options would be nice too.
Oh yeah, maybe this time around they could advertise!!! A lot of people didn't know that the camaro was still around and that the price was comparable if not better than the (unngh) mustang. I don't remember seeing any commercials talking about the camaro in the last few years that it was around. Maybe they could have saved it if only for that.
And that's my

1977 GMC Jimmy - daily driver-sitting on 33's and bedliner inside and out
1995 9C1 Caprice - winter beater
1994 Impala SS - newest project
1991 9C1 Caprice - (rip)
"There are two great problems in the world today; an ever-growing lack of common sense, and too many warning labels. Take away all of the warning labels and the problem will work itself out..." -B
burnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #32
cannibalrights
AF Enthusiast

They should do nothing with the Camaro. They discontinued it, they should leave it be. Theres accually a thread about this subject on the Camaro board that I started.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:16 PM   #33
1991Ranger
AF Newbie

I think I'll have to take the Big Block side of this argument. For a couple reasons.....

1. NOTHING compares to the deep rumble of an american V8, im sorry, but the little 4's and 6's that fart around nowadays just dont have that same feel to them.

2. Compared N/A to N/A, V8's put out more power than 4's and 6's. You have to turbo or SC a 4 or 6 to make the same power, and then you have lag to wait for while the PSI gets up. Even then, they will never make the amount of torque that V8's do.

These are just my personal reasons. Im only 16, and have my little truck to get me by until i can afford a muscle car. This is just a clash of preference, you are either into the new little econo-boxes made fast, or you like traditional power. Or, you like both
Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #34
Oddjob
AF Newbie

GM should let the Camaro and Firebird rest in piece because the bone-heads in Marketing at GM would only screw them up like they did the GTO. These people (at GM) are not car people. They lived through the Muscle car era and just didn't get it. They work for GM because they wanted to work for a big company, not because they love cars or have talent. Most wouldn't care if they built Corvettes or refridgerators. And they don't know the difference. They'll sit back and drain the company with their big paychecks while they make no decision or bad decisions all day long. I used to work with some of the marketing brand managers on a daily basis and there isn't the slightest sence of style among them. I left and now I work for an OEM company that is not of the U.S. I had to do it because they're shrinking so fast there will not be anywhere else to work soon.
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #35
Oddjob
AF Newbie

The SSR is built on the shortened frame of a Trailblazer SUV... It's pretty large for a car!
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #36
burnM
AF Enthusiast

Is it? Oh well.
Just give us an affordable rear drive car with a V8 then...I don't care if it's a camaro or not. They don't even make any full size rwd cars anymore...not affordable ones anyway.
You ever wonder why so many people drive trucks or suv's now? NO REAR DRIVE FULL FRAME CARS!!!
They say that they're making what the customer wants, well, I'm a customer who finally has enough money for a new car. And I can't find something that I WANT!!
Sorry...sorry...It just ticks me off that I can't buy a new car to be proud of. I'd like to look back ten years from now and say "Yeah, I bought it brand new and it still runs and drives that way"
I've got to get a car that someone else has already had and done god knows what to, and start from scratch to have something nice. I want something I can buy, and just maintain.
I guess I should have been born twenty years before I really was.
Anyone else feel the same?

Brian

1977 GMC Jimmy - daily driver-sitting on 33's and bedliner inside and out
1995 9C1 Caprice - winter beater
1994 Impala SS - newest project
1991 9C1 Caprice - (rip)
"There are two great problems in the world today; an ever-growing lack of common sense, and too many warning labels. Take away all of the warning labels and the problem will work itself out..." -B
burnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #37
1991Ranger
AF Newbie

I agree with burnM, we need to see a return to RWD. AND MAKE IT AFFORDABLE!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #38
jdrumstik
AF Regular

You have to look at the facts my friends, cmaro was selling under 70,000 units the year before it death, I believe the mustang was somewhere around 150,000. Then the goverment , more specifically DOT, slammed a new safety requirment on camaro GM simply discontinued it.

also, do you really think GM would be a good succesful company if they would just realese a cheap rwd V-8 car with no power windows but look at the stats, only like 25% or so of the cars are V-8s, and hardly any of those are SS, people would rath have anice V-6 auto with ac and leather than a roaring fast nosiy, jerky and unreliable muscel car like the rest of us want.
jdrumstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #39
cannibalrights
AF Enthusiast

Whats with the
Quote:
jerky and unreliable muscel car
shit?

My V-8, very unjerky and very reliable muscle car it is called a Camaro. I dont know what the hell your talking about unreliable. Jerky is a a stick shift or stall kit. And yeah most people would rather have a V-6 than a V-8 for gas reasons and shit. Thats why they offered the option of getting a V-8 in them.....man
Old 03-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #40
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

I don't understand that either. Why would a V8 be any less reliable than a V6?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:19 PM   #41
cannibalrights
AF Enthusiast

There not any less reliable. How many V-4's and 6's do you see that break down and shit. Alot more than V-8's. Built Ford tough..Hah. I say Built Chevy tough.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #42
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Yeah I know, but I think most of that reason is there are more 4's and 6's out there though.

There's plenty of times I see ford's, and plenty chevy's broken down. To say one is better than the other is just a biased opinion. Because if ford sucked that much they would be out of business, not a multi billion dollar corporation. Same with chevy. Same with Mopar too.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #43
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

I have respect for anybodys car that they take pride in because its fast, looks good, built up... whatever. just because I dont like it doesnt mean I will disrespect it, hell someone put alot of hard work into it. I do wish chevy would put its foot back in the door and defend its name. Were left with what? The cavalier 2.2 ecotec... I'm sorry but thats not defending its name. The General has the money to do something, the backing to make it sell, and the technology to make it last.
TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #44
cannibalrights
AF Enthusiast

Nope. They both make good cars. But if your talking weight to horsepower, Chevey makes the better engine. And accually, I dont really have anything against ford...heh, I just like doggin on them
Old 03-22-2004, 07:58 PM   #45
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalrights
But if your talking weight to horsepower, Chevey makes the better engine.
Why would chevy's engine be better because it has more HP?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical