Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
aandyyp1996
AF Newbie

Shooting 2K Automotive Clear through mini spray gun?

Hi guys, this is my first post on here. I would've liked it to be with a completed projects thread or at least WIP thread, but I'm stumped on the clear coat

I plan on buying some 2K Automotive Clear Coat from my local paint shop, and I bought a 4 oz. mini spray gun from Harbor Freight. Do you think it'd be okay to shoot this clear from this gun onto a model? I don't want to start shooting the clear and totally bomb it because it came out too fast or too heavy

Also, what's the recommended air pressure for a mini spray gun(if anyone actually uses one)?

Thanks alot!
aandyyp1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Kaj45rpm
AF Regular

Re: Shooting 2K Automotive Clear through mini spray gun?

Practice on something first, eg coloured plastic bottle. I use a 0.5mm needle in my airbrush as reccomended by Zero paints. Pressure set up can't be different for each equipment set up so I guess that trial run is the best before you hit the model.
Kaj45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandyyp1996 View Post
Hi guys, this is my first post on here. I would've liked it to be with a completed projects thread or at least WIP thread, but I'm stumped on the clear coat

I plan on buying some 2K Automotive Clear Coat from my local paint shop, and I bought a 4 oz. mini spray gun from Harbor Freight. Do you think it'd be okay to shoot this clear from this gun onto a model? I don't want to start shooting the clear and totally bomb it because it came out too fast or too heavy

Also, what's the recommended air pressure for a mini spray gun(if anyone actually uses one)?

Thanks alot!

andy - the mini-spray gun you bought has too large a needle 1.0-1.3mm - It will spray too thick of a "layer" coat of clear and you will most likely ruin what you have done so far.
First you need to surf the web for an airbrush - preferably one with adaptability - like different sized cups and needles/jets - so you have flexibility with your model building. The airbrushes at harbor freight while cheap are complete crap - If you cannot find a reasonably priced airbrush then PM me and I will send you a link for one that I purchased "economical" and in my opinion that has produced excellent results - it is a "trigger" style airbrush that allows for "full pull" even spraying and a separate "dial" knob for adjusting spray pattern - if you are not a skilled airbrusher then this is the way to go because it can be difficult for a beginner to get the hang of a dual action airbrush to lay down a smooth even coat. This airbrush also comes with 3 different cup sizes and 0.3-0.5-0.8 needles and jets and you should never need anything larger than the 0.5 needle for 2K clear or any other clear for that matter for spraying a model.
Second - you need to thin 2K clear considerably when spraying on a model - it is NOT the same as spraying on a 1:1 real car. You will need to thin the viscosity of the 2K down to just slightly thicker than that of water. Also there is the factor of "air-pressure" - with your Harbor Freight mini-spray gun it is meant to spray at 40 psi at the tip - this would blow your model off its stand - you need to have a regulator on your air supply and a mini regulator right at the connection to the airbrush so you can dial the air pressure down to 20 psi.
Third - you need to, and I cannot stress this point enough for everyone who reads this that it is deadly important that you, wear a paint "industrial" respirator "mask". You can get one from Harbor Freight - in addition you need lots of ventilation when spraying automotive primers/paints/clears - 2K clears and paints that use "reactive" reducers and hardeners use "isocyanocryalates as the hardener - GUYS this is also known as "super glue" "CA ZAP" etc - it will super-glue your lungs - you do not want to die for your hobby - COPD is a terrible way to die.
That being said - do a search for some of the threads on airbrushing - I have responded to many of them and little if any of what I have posted on the subject has been rebutted or refuted.
Like I said if you are not sure of what you are doing - so as not to bore all those that know this stuff - send me a PM "private message"
best of luck
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
lezdep
AF Regular

John, could you post a link to respirator mask you'd recommend ? I have one with exchangeable cartridges,
but heard for 2K the one with forced air flow is needed.
lezdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezdep View Post
John, could you post a link to respirator mask you'd recommend ? I have one with exchangeable cartridges,
but heard for 2K the one with forced air flow is needed.
Lezdep - you are correct if you are painting a car for example in a spray booth you should have a "forced air" respirator that supplies oxygen to the enclosed face mask, but this is very expensive and impractical for small hobby use unless you've got the room and the money to buy it. For Hobby or home use if you are not spraying in a garage is to use an industrial cartridge type and either a hobby paint booth with extractor fan to vent the fumes outside - or at least a regular fan that can push the fumes out an open window or door. Lezdep - your filter sounds like the correct type - just check the cartridges for need of replacement. If they are clogged with powder residue then definitely replace them because you will be breathing that in through the filter - I use one that has the round filters that screw on, but there are other styles. For small amounts of airbrushing with 2K this is acceptable but don't remove the mask as soon as you stop spraying because the 2K is still atomized in the air and you will breath it in. hope this helps Ledzep.
John

Last edited by John18d; 12-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
aandyyp1996
AF Newbie

Thanks for replies, guys. Ive actually seen a lot of guys on here use. "Jamb guns" which is bascially a mini spray gun right?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandyyp1996 View Post
Thanks for replies, guys. Ive actually seen a lot of guys on here use. "Jamb guns" which is bascially a mini spray gun right?
andy - see my above post to your question
John
Old 12-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
aandyyp1996
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
andy - see my above post to your question
John
Oh I didn't see your post! Thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling